Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Confederation cup - what's the point?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Does anyone actually know what this ******** competition is being
played for and why the BBC are showing it?

Or is it yet another ploy to line Blatter's pockets?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's no more or less pointless than the current ICC Champions Trophy, which also runs alongside a full World Cup.

In theory the purpose of it is to road test the stadia and infrastructure ahead of each World Cup.

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
I see it as just a bit of fun, pointless fun, but none the less fun.

I've never followed it before, just following Tahiti's progress and will be watching all their games!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I'm happy there is footy on the TV tbh. You can see the teams are taking it seriously, and how difficult it will be for Eng-er-land in the conditions should we qualify for the WC :ohmy:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
It's a warm up for the country hosting the World Cup - to allow them to iron out any small problems with the infrastructure.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
It's no more or less pointless than the current ICC Champions Trophy, which also runs alongside a full World Cup.

In theory the purpose of it is to road test the stadia and infrastructure ahead of each World Cup.

The champions trophy is a fantastic tournament. Only the best are there. Not all the best teams are at the Confed cup.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The champions trophy is a fantastic tournament. Only the best are there. Not all the best teams are at the Confed cup.

You understand the concept of Confederations?

(anyway, Australia are at the CT, so that blows your theory straight away...)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its for FIFA to shows there's football outside of europe.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Who saw the Japan Italy game last night?

Thought Japan looked pretty good, certainly their players looked technically far superior than any England side I've seen in recent years. I wonder if there's any real prospect of them challenging for titles any time in the next twenty years or so. I think they probably need to find some prolific goalscorers, but in football terms, they were very good.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011

******** Is that the only way you can express yourself? You sound so annoyed the BBC are showing it, why watch?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm actually quite enjoying it this year

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Have you watched any of it??

It's been a magnificent tournament so far, jam packed with great games. It also means effectively there is no summer break as once this is done the players are back for what should be a great pre-season programme.

Oct 25, 2003
it's usually a pretty entertaining tournament actually. Plus it's useful to the host nation as they can test out the infrastructure, as well as play some competitive games for the first time in ages

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Stayed up and watched Italy v Japan last night. Thanks BBC, bloody good game, better than paying Sky to watch a second rate bottom of the table PL game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here