Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Karl Robinson - Thoughts?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
No from me, should have done more at mk in my opinion. Another the media appear to love for no apparant reason.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, but it seems strange that people regard a manager of a small club with no history of experiencing success just missing out on promotion to the Championship as major failure when much bigger clubs in that division have failed season after season. From what I can see, Robinson has made steady progress with them and got them established in the top half of League One and they should have another good season next time around and while I don't see him particularly as heir apparent to Poyet, I would imagine his chance will come at a Championship club in due course.
That is a joke. MK have a stadium and I suspect a budget to be knocking at the promotion door. I'd say top 6 isn't an unreasonable demand. And they were miles off the pace last year - yet another year in division three then, after more than three years in charge. He's done sod all.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
No, but it seems strange that people regard a manager of a small club with no history of experiencing success just missing out on promotion to the Championship as major failure when much bigger clubs in that division have failed season after season. From what I can see, Robinson has made steady progress with them and got them established in the top half of League One and they should have another good season next time around and while I don't see him particularly as heir apparent to Poyet, I would imagine his chance will come at a Championship club in due course.

Steady progress? They finished third the season they went up from League Two under Di Matteo in 2009. Now i'm no mathmetician, but I don't think that finishing 8th last season counts as progress.

Take it from someone that's seen his side play a fair few times. He is not the right manager for us. Not even slightly.

Oh, and http://www.london24.com/sport/fans_point_finger_at_mk_dons_boss_over_brentford_row_1_1742677

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
That is a joke. MK have a stadium and I suspect a budget to be knocking at the promotion door. I'd say top 6 isn't an unreasonable demand. And they were miles off the pace last year - yet another year in division three then, after more than three years in charge. He's done sod all.

Presumably 'having a stadium' may also have eaten a little into their budget to buy players. But, unless they are offering significantly more wages than other teams in that division, I don't really see them as a draw card for players at that level because they are much less established. So just having a budget alone counts for little if you don't attract the players.

They were off the pace last season, but as I said in an earlier post, I think their cup run may have seen a few players take their eye off the ball as you see happen with lower league teams from time to time, and they may also have had a spell of injuries. See how they get on this coming season. In a division that will contain Sheffield United, Peterborough, Swindon, Wolves, Bristol City, Brentford and Preston, if they make the top 6 this coming campaign, they will have done well. There might be a bit less expectation this time as well because of those other teams being there and that could work in their favour.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
A few weeks ago, I would have said no. Now, I'm so desperate for us to move on I'd yes. Get him in. Get someone in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet another English manager that has me saying 'no thanks'.

It comes to something when Hoddle is the best this country has to offer.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Never know why people suggest Robinson. What has he done with a decent budget in league 1? A massively overrated manager. Surely we should be looking at alot higher class of manager than a guy that consistantly fails to get his side in the top 6 of League one!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Presumably 'having a stadium' may also have eaten a little into their budget to buy players. But, unless they are offering significantly more wages than other teams in that division, I don't really see them as a draw card for players at that level because they are much less established. So just having a budget alone counts for little if you don't attract the players.

They were off the pace last season, but as I said in an earlier post, I think their cup run may have seen a few players take their eye off the ball as you see happen with lower league teams from time to time, and they may also have had a spell of injuries. See how they get on this coming season. In a division that will contain Sheffield United, Peterborough, Swindon, Wolves, Bristol City, Brentford and Preston, if they make the top 6 this coming campaign, they will have done well. There might be a bit less expectation this time as well because of those other teams being there and that could work in their favour.
That is an interesting list of clubs you want to measure Robinson's success against.

Peterborough & Brentford: neither have the infrastructure Karl Robinson has at his disposal, yet one was promoted two seasons ago (while MK weren't) and the other nearly managed it this season (which MK didn't).

Of the seven clubs you mention, he should easily be looking to finish above at least four of them. But he won't, because he's a bang average manager.

I still have a hearty chuckle when he pronounced loudly to anyone that would listen that his team was BETTER than the Albion were the season before, in that season where Gus won us the title at a canter, despite playing at running track. Naturally, MK turned out to be average then too.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Never know why people suggest Robinson. What has he done with a decent budget in league 1? A massively overrated manager. Surely we should be looking at alot higher class of manager than a guy that consistantly fails to get his side in the top 6 of League one!

Consistently fails to get his side in the top 6? He has been manager there for 3 seasons and prior to missing out last season, in the previous 2 campaigns, they finished 5th! Whether or not one rates him/likes him, if you are judging him on making the top 6, it seems harsh to castigate him when in 2 out of the 3 seasons that target was reached.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Consistently fails to get his side in the top 6? He has been manager there for 3 seasons and prior to missing out last season, in the previous 2 campaigns, they finished 5th! Whether or not one rates him/likes him, if you are judging him on making the top 6, it seems harsh to castigate him when in 2 out of the 3 seasons that target was reached.

Are you his agent?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He ticks zero boxes in total.

No championship experience,
Achieved nothing at MK Dons, despite having spent big for that division.
Would not inspire players to sign for us,
Would not raise the profile of club in any way shape or form.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
That is an interesting list of clubs you want to measure Robinson's success against.

Peterborough & Brentford: neither have the infrastructure Karl Robinson has at his disposal, yet one was promoted two seasons ago (while MK weren't) and the other nearly managed it this season (which MK didn't).

Of the seven clubs you mention, he should easily be looking to finish above at least four of them. But he won't, because he's a bang average manager.

I still have a hearty chuckle when he pronounced loudly to anyone that would listen that his team was BETTER than the Albion were the season before, in that season where Gus won us the title at a canter, despite playing at running track. Naturally, MK turned out to be average then too.

When you say infrastructure, are you just basically saying Brentford and Peterborough have less money/resources than MK Dons and so it is not unreasonable to expect them to finish anove them? It's a fair argument, but I just think there's more to it than how much money they have. Peterborough have been promoted to the Championship twice and have built a good reputation for bringing in players from non-league and improving them before selling them on, added to which they have the confidence/belief that comes from having got promoted from the division before. Brentford narrowly missed out last season, have brought through players from their own system and also have good links with other London clubs to bring in some of their promising youngsters on loan. That's why I would be including them both among next season's front-runners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here