Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Madagascar - advice sought.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The g/f and I are planning to go to Madagascar this autumn (is that a good time?) and wondered if any of the good folk of NSC had been and had any advice. We definitely want to see animals (lemurs et al, plus of course the zebras, lions, giraffes and penguins from the eponymous documentary films), do some diving and fishing and see a bit of what the country is really like (off the beaten track).

Any help greatly appreciated...

Ta

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Madagascar does not have apes, monkeys, elephants, zebras, giraffes, lions, hyenas, rhinos, antelopes or many of the other animals found on mainland Africa. In fact, Madagascar naturally lacks most mammal groups found in other parts of the world. Madagascar's native mammal fauna is restricted to lemurs, cricetids (a family of small rodents), viverrids (a group of carnivores that includes the mongoose), tenrecs (the only insectivores on the island), and bats.

Hope this helps

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The g/f and I are planning to go to Madagascar this autumn (is that a good time?) and wondered if any of the good folk of NSC had been and had any advice. We definitely want to see animals (lemurs et al, plus of course the zebras, lions, giraffes and penguins from the eponymous documentary films), do some diving and fishing and see a bit of what the country is really like (off the beaten track).

Any help greatly appreciated...

Ta

Mada-who-ha?

No, Madagascar.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I've been. Berenty National Park is a must. Sifaka and Ai (sp) plus your run of the mill lemurs. Try to find the documentary John Cleese made there. Capital city Tana is well rough, take care. Has been a lot of civil unrest/war recently. Watch out for parasitic worms in the large amounts of zebu you will eat and learn about Fadi before you go. Some good music.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Madagascar does not have apes, monkeys, elephants, zebras, giraffes, lions, hyenas, rhinos, antelopes or many of the other animals found on mainland Africa. In fact, Madagascar naturally lacks most mammal groups found in other parts of the world. Madagascar's native mammal fauna is restricted to lemurs, cricetids (a family of small rodents), viverrids (a group of carnivores that includes the mongoose), tenrecs (the only insectivores on the island), and bats.

Hope this helps

Has sloths i believe.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Go dodo hunting and make a name for yourself if you find one!!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
*Sigh* at most of the replies, but thanks for all the help!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've been. Berenty National Park is a must. Sifaka and Ai (sp) plus your run of the mill lemurs. Try to find the documentary John Cleese made there. Capital city Tana is well rough, take care. Has been a lot of civil unrest/war recently. Watch out for parasitic worms in the large amounts of zebu you will eat and learn about Fadi before you go. Some good music.

Ta - this is more like it!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sorry NSC must try harder as a collective to visit Madagascar to help you with your requests for information.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
We're 686 miles from Madagascar. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing lemurs as sunhats.

Hit it.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas........

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sorry NSC must try harder as a collective to visit Madagascar to help you with your requests for information.

It was a tongue in cheek response. Of course I expected the Madagascar film responses (they're even in my OP)! No sweat!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here