Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Krakow advice

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Perseus used the head of Medusa to defeat him, maybe you should try that...

Wait, sorry. Misread. Thought you said Kraken.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Good for you Walt. My only recommendation is to eat as many pierogi as you can while you are there. There are many "bary mleczne" or milk bars which tend to be the best places to eat. There is a good one on Grodzka Street (runs from Old Town Square to the castle.).

http://www.bar-mleczny.com.pl/english/english.php

Also try Zapiecek Polskie Pierogarnia. http://www.zapiecek.eu/onas.html

Try zapiekanke as well. It is a rectangular pizza-type bread found exclusively in Poland.

It's all about the food in that country.

Salt mines at Wieliczka are worth a look. My only issue with Auschwitz when I went (Saturday) was that I was made to take a guided tour. I find most tours laborious and tiresome and this was no exception. We ended up walking away from the group and looked around Auschwitz I on our own. Check to see, but I think that you must take a tour on certain days, most likely weekends. The rest of the time you are free to wander at your own leisure.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Walt, keep your trip as short as possible is my advice, unless you're into dreary, ex-communist, bitter cities whose most industrious people have left for other EU countries. Got to say I was terribly disappointed - Auschwitz et al aside.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
To add to what others have said:

The Wawel castle
Kazimiersz (the Jewish quarter)
The underground bars around the Rynek at night
The Cloth Hall in the Rynek and the cathedral just off it

All of these can be done in a weekend as all in the city itself.

Make sure you have bagels and potato pancakes (placek)

And certainly drink lots of beer!!! Vodka is optional but if so make it Zubrowka.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I have been to Krakow (and Auschwitz-Birkenau) several times, and am going again in November. I can recommend Kazimierz, the old Jewish quarter, which is more bohemian than the rest of the city. The numerous subterranean bars are worth frequenting. As a Catholic, I found the cathedral quite stunning, and would urge you to visit it. If you are there during the football season then go to watch either Wisla Krakow or Kracowia Krakow, but avoid the derby between them, because it makes Albion-Palace look like a vicar’s tea-party.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There are a lot of obnoxious Brit stag groups going there - the locals are a little weary.

?

Sadly that comment can be applied to many European cities.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Thanks for your sensible thread title-all of the "[city name here] Anybody been?" threads get right up my nose. "Barcelona-anybody been?". No-you're the first, tell us all about it when you get back.

Sorry, just bugs me:catfight:

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
I would definitely recommend going to a Jewish restaurant during your visit because it is really interesting to try their traditional cuisine, its tasty, and very reasonably priced.
In terms of things to see the castle is really cool, has a great collection of armour, tapestries etc. The Krakow Market Square is the largest square in Europe so thats certainly worth a look, lots of stalls etc.
Continuing the holocaust theme going to the ghetto is interesting, incidentally where they filmed many scenes for Schindlers list because unlike Warsaw many areas have survived since the period. Schindler's factory might interest you, it isn't greatly organized but it is iconic, as well as the Plaszow memorial that stands on the site of the former Krakow-Plaszow concentration camp.
Make sure your whole weekend isn't all grim as there are many great things to be seen in Krakow.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Same as above. Some cracking bars/clubs if you're after a night out, also worth a trip over to Schindlers Factory in Kazimiersz, Wawel Castle etc.

Oh, and Pod Wawelem, just on the base of Wawel Castle does cracking food. Dirt cheap, but really good food and always full with locals (a local taxi driver recommended we try it) which is a good sign. Huge portions, and at certain times 1L of beer is 7.5zl, about £1.50 at current exchange rates.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
There are a lot of obnoxious Brit stag groups going there - the locals are a little weary.

Superb vodka - if you're into that?

When I was there (2009), most of the stag groups hung around the Main Square, Rynek Główny. Going most other places they could be avoided. The food is better and cheaper, and the beer also cheaper, pretty much everywhere else.

I'm not particularly into vodka, but agree the Bison Grass stuff (Żubrówka) is excellent.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I would also recommend Schindlers factory as well. Found it really informative and thought provoking. For Auschwitz-Birkenau we just got the public bus from the bus station only a couple of quid and was really easy then we were able to do our own thing. Loved Krakow, have a great time.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I can't remember the name of it, but amongst all the paid walking tours, one is free and taken by qualified local guides. Well well worth a midday (I think) few hours, beginning outside the cathedral in the (brilliantly cheap beer-infested) square. Ends up at where Schindler's factory used to stand (what's there now is rebuilt), through some *really* interesting areas, including the Jewish quarter as mentioned above, and past the last bits of the ghetto walls (built to mimic Jewish headstones can you believe) with some fascinating stories and info to keep you interested.

If that's your kind of thing, don't be put off by it being "Free", enjoy and you can rest your legs back in the square for the rest of the evening.

I bloody love Krakow!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here