Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The World at War

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Can anybody think of a better documentary series?

I would ask anybody with kids interested in history to let them watch this. And as a tie in, a Brighton resident is absolutely superb as narrator. Never seen, just heard, but a class apart.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Definately one of, if not the best documentary out there. At the time it cost about £900,000 to make, which is roughly £12 million in todays money!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
An equally good series was "The Great War" obviously covering WW1. Perhaps it may be shown again as the 100th anniversary of its start will soon be upon us.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The series that was filmed every seven years and followed the progress of certain individuals would also be worth a mention.
A good one on development and on how environment and circumstances effect changes within people over time.
It could be somewhat depressing at times but I thought it was good.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's the best TV programme ever made. No question in my mind: it's unsurpassed. The fact that it was on ITV should make the nation think hard, if not weep.

The fact that it was put together at a time when so many of the protagonists were still alive to be interviewed - assuming they hadn't bought it in 1945 - makes it hugely valuable artifact for that reason alone. But everything about it is brilliant. I want the box set.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
A Passion for Angling.

Boom beat that! Great English countryside, well shot, good narration, what more do you need?

Brilliant Series, Laurence Olivier was a brilliant narrator, if I recall correctly the only one he didn't do was the last one.

I had the entire series on Video but somehow lost them all in a move, all 26 of them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's the best TV programme ever made. No question in my mind: it's unsurpassed. The fact that it was on ITV should make the nation think hard, if not weep.

The fact that it was put together at a time when so many of the protagonists were still alive to be interviewed - assuming they hadn't bought it in 1945 - makes it hugely valuable artifact for that reason alone. But everything about it is brilliant. I want the box set.

Great documentary - here's your box set for only £16 ! http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-World-A...8&qid=1371627118&sr=8-1&keywords=world+at+war

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
It's a 4 parter and is excellent.

Here is Ep.1 if anyone is interested.

For all the drama, I cannot help but reflect on the futility of their useless effort, the obsession with communism, money, and disregard for human lives.
Personally I cannot listen to the cowboy bravado involved, the utterly convinced 'righteousness' and overall propaganda.
JFK is a martyr.... who stupidly wasted 55,000 of his own young men while keeping a Donny Osmond smile and a straight parting in his hair.

Bush and his c.i.a. "fought terror". Wtf does that even mean?? They created terror and the need to consider religion as a war - a throwback to medeival times!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Does anyone remember " all our yesterdays "on a Sunday lunchtime.

That was an great series also, but op is right, the world at war is incredible....the episodes where the first troops encounter the death camps is ingrained on my memory

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Thanks for the history lesson. :ffsparr:

You're welcome.

They still think they saved the World in WWII by the way, ignoring their late late showing, Britain's tiny islands taking on the wave of fascism almost alone, and us declaring war on Japan before they allied with us v Germany and Italy (etc).

Vietnam has no glory, and all lessons have been ignored.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It is a brilliant documentary series, without doubt.

In the spirit of the OP's question, I offer the following series as alternatives, without saying that they are "better", merely brilliant too:

The Body in Question
Civilisation
Cosmos
Any natural history series with David Attenborough
7up etc (as already mentioned above) - I think the last one was 49up; a longitudinal study over 42 years and still going - an amazing achievement!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
7up etc (as already mentioned above) - I think the last one was 49up; a longitudinal study over 42 years and still going - an amazing achievement!

There's a 56 Up now. Came out last year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here