Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile phone help please

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can anyone bring me up to speed on FM transmitters or apps for such like on a smart phone with a decent camera please?

I currently have a Nokia N8 which suits me down to the ground as it has a built in FM transmitter and a nice 12mp camera. However, it now seems to be on it's last legs as the camera and gallery is playing up something terrible and no amount of hard resets etc is fixing it.

So...I'm thinking of buying an older model Android as iplayer no longer supports Nokia OS and I wouldn't mind a change for other reasons too (like to stick with the very generous cheap monthly contract that gives me ample internet use etc.) However, the ability to play music through any old radio via an FM transmitter is crucial, as is a camera 12mp or over. Few friends I've spoken to about Android FM transmitter apps suggests they're all crap and I can't seem to find any other smart phone that has an FM transmitter built in.

Any help or suggestions please?

P.S. No 'i' anything suggestions please as I've no intention of going anywhere near one.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Everything now is pretty much dominated by 3G and now 4G that everyone now streams radio. I haven't heard of a newer android device with an FM receiver for a while.....

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I think the only current 'phone that fits your criteria is the Nokia 808 Pureview. Might be something else out there, of course, but that's the only one of which I'm aware of with an FM transmitter.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think the only current 'phone that fits your criteria is the Nokia 808 Pureview. Might be something else out there, of course, but that's the only one of which I'm aware of with an FM transmitter.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a 41 megapixel camera ! :eek: Yes, yes, I know mobiles don't replicate proper cameras because of the size of the lens etc etc., but even so, that seems outrageous for a phone.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a 41 megapixel camera ! :eek: Yes, yes, I know mobiles don't replicate proper cameras because of the size of the lens etc etc., but even so, that seems outrageous for a phone.

There's a lot more that goes into a good camera than the megapixel count though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's a lot more that goes into a good camera than the megapixel count though.

Yes, I appreciate that, hence why I mentioned lens size etc. However, the Nokia N8 I have has a Carl Zeiss lens, is 12mp and as camera phones go I've been pretty impressed by it. The Nokia 808 jgmcdee has kindly pointed me towards looks like it would also satsify my needs. Agree with what you're driving at though, no phone is going to better a dedicated quality camera for serious photography and higher mp count doesn't necessarily mean better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here