Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we turned into snobs???

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Serious question.... have we turned into snobs???

I know we have come a heck of a way in the last few years and have made fantastic progress, however SHOULD we need to appoint a new manager then who are we to turn our noses up at the likes of Stuart Pearce, Harry Redknapp, Avram Grant to name a few....

There have been some big names linked with our job with many on NSC saying "no thanks" im not saying the three above are the correct men to take us forward but 2 or 3 years ago we would have been delighted if some of the names mentioned had taken over. not after two seasons in the championship they are all of a sudden not good enough??? Give it a rest!!!!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Were saying "No thanks" because they arent suited to the club. We play a passing game so why would we appoint a manager who plays hoofball ?

No snobbery at all. Were not saying no because of who they are, we say no because the job isnt for them.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Don't know about snobs, but I think we're in a much better position these days to be able to choose a manager that we want rather than just who would take the job. It's got to be a good prospect - plus there are certain managers who I think we feel just wouldn't fit us, e.g. 'Arry may be a decent manager, but I can't see him fitting in out set-up.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
"big" names don't interest me.

GOOD names do.

The ones you mentioned aren't good names in my book.

Big or small, it doesn't matter as long as they're good.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Think you will find that mostly it's the Poyet fan club who just say no thanks to everyone. They been spoon fed so much bullshit over the last few seasons, they believe it's true and no one could ever match up to Poyet. Which is a load of old crap.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Think you will find that mostly it's the Poyet fan club who just say no thanks to everyone. They been spoon fed so much bullshit over the last few seasons, they believe it's true and no one could ever match up to Poyet. Which is a load of old crap.

Everyone seems to be wetting themselves over Oscar, why??? Because he managed Barcelona reserves and then won a league title with an israeli team??? Hardly something to cream my pants about!!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I think it's a more a case of many people having genuinely enjoyed the football under Gus, and therefore looking towards a replacement who would continue the same kind of game.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

More like any rational thinking fan who has an understanding in football would say no to managers like Tony Pulis or Harry Redknapp because they play COMPLETELY different styles to how we play. Its much easier to have a manager come in and only change a few things, like actually having a Plan B - I mean the passing game hasnt worked too badly for us, not having a Plan B does.

Oh and Redknapp is still at QPR and it would be MAHOOSIVE compensation to get him anyway.

Everyone seems to be wetting themselves over Oscar, why??? Because he managed Barcelona reserves and then won a league title with an israeli team??? Hardly something to cream my pants about!!

I assume you thought the same of Gus, who had NO managerial experience at all. He hasn't done too badly here, shame his ego decided to eclipse the size of the entire county.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
More like any rational thinking fan who has an understanding in football would say no to managers like Tony Pulis or Harry Redknapp because they play COMPLETELY different styles to how we play. Its much easier to have a manager come in and only change a few things, like actually having a Plan B - I mean the passing game hasnt worked too badly for us, not having a Plan B does.

Oh and Redknapp is still at QPR and it would be MAHOOSIVE compensation to get him anyway.

I assume you thought the same of Gus, who had NO managerial experience at all. He hasn't done too badly here, shame his ego decided to eclipse the size of the entire county.

Actually with Gus i felt it could always be a success as he has extensive knowledge of the English game, having played for two top clubs and then being an assistant at two other clubs. Oscar has no experience of any of this, I imagine the spanish and Israeli leagues are a complete different kettle of fish to English football, especially with a league as complex and tough as the Championship.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
He has pedigree on the pitch and off of it. Winning the league in practically any European top division is no easy feat either. He will have world class contacts and perhaps most importantly for us, he would be able to relate to our style of play and Spanish speaking players.

I don't think snobby is the right word, just ambitious - and rightly so given our circumstances.

Ahh there you go, with one sentance you've instantly made me take Oscar more seriously.... good points!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
would that the same stuart pearce who played david james as a striker
nah thanks

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If by snob the OP means full of self importance then yes.

el punal

Snobs no . . . selective yes. We are no longer a struggling League 1 outfit playing in an unsuitable rented athletics ground.

We are, however, a Championship side that finished the season in 4th place, with the highest average attendance in the league, playing arguably the best football and in a brand new stadium and with a state of the art training complex on the horizon.

I think we can afford to be fussy on that basis.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It was only 3-4 years ago that we were in a rut with a crap temporary stadium, huge debts and cycle of very average managerial appointments.

In a very short space of time we ascended to the next level both on and off the pitch. Part of that was the bold appointment of Gus Poyet, ok it was his first full managerial job but he has a proper footie pedigree and showed he could lead us out of Lge 1 and to the brink of the Prem.

We are right to be ambitious about who we appoint as managers - not just someone who can do a job, but do it playing the right footie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here