Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgil Van Dijk off to Celtic?

BHAFC_98

May 21, 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22945976
Shame as he looks like promising young talent. Probably would have signed for us if we hadn't been in such a keffufle in recent weeks? We could have signed a player that will be playing Champions League football instead next year! A real miss IMO and could have been a long term answer to the Centre-back position!

lastyboy

Jan 26, 2012
Lewes East Sussex
this is a strange one for me. granted celtic will be playing champions league football next season and that will help with his development. but the standard of the Scottish league is shocking and i dont see how that will help by playing against such poor teams each week. i would suggest that the Dutch league is a far better more competitive league. i guess they have the funds to offer him a pretty hefty contract and maybe thats whats swaying him. Hey what do i know!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I'd have thought Holland is a few rungs up the footballing ladder from the Scotch League. Quite a few indeed! Championship has to be similar to Dutch league but you have the chance to leap up to the best league in the world

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Would be as complete waste of his time going to Scotland playing in a one team league and being crap in Europe.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
If only we had a manager, oh well, plenty more players will fall off our radar before Poyet and Barber do the decent thing and **** OFF.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Let's be honest if he was all that he'd be going to a Prem club and not the equivalent of Div 2 with an added bonus of Champs league.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If only we had a manager, oh well, plenty more players will fall off our radar before Poyet and Barber do the decent thing and **** OFF.

if Barber is not here at the end of the season i will eat all my shoes....and socks , including the ones in the laundry basket.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Let's be honest if he was all that he'd be going to a Prem club and not the equivalent of Div 2 with an added bonus of Champs league.

Or his agent has told him to go there for the wages?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The fact that a half decent team hasn't stepped into scupper this deal says it all really.

Not all that, and from the odd bits I'm reading here and there over the last few months he's tidy on the ball but not that solid a defender.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Poyet obviously needs to be shown the door - today! But from what I see, Barber is doing a great job of turning our Club round from being run like a village hall commitee under Tight, to a professional club seeking a place in the Premiership.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
this is a strange one for me. granted celtic will be playing champions league football next season and that will help with his development. but the standard of the Scottish league is shocking and i dont see how that will help by playing against such poor teams each week. i would suggest that the Dutch league is a far better more competitive league. i guess they have the funds to offer him a pretty hefty contract and maybe thats whats swaying him. Hey what do i know!

this

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 5m Celtic sign Virgil van Dijk from FC Groningen on four-year deal #SSNRetweeted by Andy Naylor

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I imagine He's gone for the money, to play CL football and To play for a club with a 60k plus stadium, with a rich history. OK, MTL has lost much of its shine nowadays, but they are a huge club, and far bigger than anything he was being offered by the likes of us.

Oh, and probably the money.

Did I mention the money, I bet the money had a lot to do with it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
€3m according to the BBC, €5m according to Sky.

I can see the SPL being a really tight affair next season, what with last season's champions by just 25 points or so now strengthening at the back, and second placed Motherwell losing their best players to Barnsley and Legia Warsaw.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I imagine He's gone for the money, to play CL football and To play for a club with a 60k plus stadium, with a rich history. OK, MTL has lost much of its shine nowadays, but they are a huge club, and far bigger than anything he was being offered by the likes of us.

Oh, and probably the money.

Did I mention the money, I bet the money had a lot to do with it.

Funny that, considering he said he wanted to go somewhere to further his development as a player. He'll be playing against worse players week in week out than he has been in the Eredivise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here