Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

- Entry Level Mountain Bike Advice -

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I've recently sold my car and have decided to ride to work every day (4 miles each way).
I'm currently using an old rust-bucket of a bike with 2 working gears... so looking to upgrade.

Could you recommend a bike under £150.00 that will last and won't require servicing at Halfords every other week?

:cheers:

d022f6904f0195c7325437b36166.jpg

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
Think you might struggle there. A brought a new bike a few years ago for around £400, and it is nowhere near top of the range.

IMO you would be better off looking for a half decent second hand bike. Or risk buying a cheap new bike that will probably need a lot more maintenance.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The only reason any bike would need servicing at Halfords every other week is because Halfords have serviced it...

What are you wanting from a new bike that your current one can't provide?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
You'll be lucky! Barely find a decent kids bike under £150 these days, let alone an adults...
If you have to go the cheaper price route then Halfords is probably your best bet tbh. None of the big established brands are likely to start that cheap as hopper said, that will be around the £300 mark. The Apollo range will probably have something suitable for you (especially as its only 4 miles each way) - if it was me I would go for a "hybrid" style. Good luck!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Bought my current MTB from the place in Tarring Road, Worthing a couple of years ago for £99. It's not perfect, but it's worked fine for me tootling about locally to work and in to the shops and back. I wouldn't use it off-road and if I was serious about doing that I'd be spending a lot more money.

However, if you're mainly going to be on roads I'd suggest looking at a hybrid – unless the roads round your way are awful you don't really need MTB tyres for a shortish commute, and you'll go quicker on a hybrid (eg thinner tyres, lighter frame).

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
I to am looking to get back into cycling after years of not doing. I've been speaking to a keen cyclist at work and he suggested i look into a hybrid around the £300-£500 mark. nothing too cheap as it wont last and will have to take it back.

Anyone know anything about bikes and if this one is any good?

http://www.southdownsbikes.com/m1b0s18p11526/TREK-8-2-DS-2013

if not can anyone recommend a decent hybrid around this price range

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Halfords have the Raleigh Altare for £150...could do a job SP?!

raleigh.jpg

Definitely wont go wrong with a Trek porkdog - had one myself for ages and was a great ride!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I've recently sold my car and have decided to ride to work every day (4 miles each way).
I'm currently using an old rust-bucket of a bike with 2 working gears... so looking to upgrade.

Could you recommend a bike under £150.00 that will last and won't require servicing at Halfords every other week?

For that money i would definitely suggest the second hand market. Bikes generally loose a third of their value straight away and it's amazing how many people buy a bike then sits in the garage for the next couple of years before they sell it on. Ebay is full of bikes and even searching for bikes in a 25 mile location usually brings up a lot of results. If you can get someone who knows a little about bikes to have a look with you, even better, as they can check chainset and wheels to make sure it's all ok

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
If you are serious about it, especially for commuting, it's worth checking to see if your employer has a cycle to work scheme.

The Mrs just signed up for a C2W scheme, got a £400 voucher to buy a real decent bike and just pays back a bit each month, which comes straight out of her salary pre-tax.

Last edited:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I to am looking to get back into cycling after years of not doing. I've been speaking to a keen cyclist at work and he suggested i look into a hybrid around the £300-£500 mark. nothing too cheap as it wont last and will have to take it back.

Anyone know anything about bikes and if this one is any good?

http://www.southdownsbikes.com/m1b0s18p11526/TREK-8-2-DS-2013

if not can anyone recommend a decent hybrid around this price range

It depends what you mean by 'good'. With ALL cheap mountain bikes the components will be bottom of the range, the suspension will be heavy and poor and the overall weight will be high.

Decide what sort of riding you want to do (road/off-road (in the park)/off-road (mountain biking) and get a bike that is suitable.

If it's for commuting, why do you need suspension? Do you need to carry stuff on it (with a pannier rack)? What sort of gears do you need (up hill, or flat journeys)? What surface will you be riding on?

If you get the bike that is fit for purpose you'll use it more, enjoy it more and get better value for money - however much you spend. Oh, and learn to fix stuff yourself - www.parktool.com

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only there was a specific thread dedicated to the pursuit of cycling.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

d022f6904f0195c7325437b36166.jpg

I would seriously consider popping into http://www.g-whizzcycles.co.uk, they've got some really nice used bikes, well serviced and you will get a lot more for your £150 than if you bought new.

I bought a Holdsworth Special racer from 1983 for £150. Taking into account inflation, that would have been an equivalent £1500 in '83 in todays money, and it runs like a little dream.

There is also Aarons - http://www.aarons-bicycle-shop.co.uk

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
if you are buying a bike from halfords then a carrera subway would be good commuting bike at the moment they start at £249. they are quite well spec for the money. Once you have bought one, I would then not take it back to halford for service just get a good bike shop to maintain it for you.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
When did we start having to call basic stuff 'entry level'. I bought a sat nav the other day and the fella first went through the 'entry level' sat navs. Hate it.

Anyway, carry on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know what you'll need for your entry level mountain bike:-

NSC CAPS

With this being a NOT FOR PROFIT venture, I, well my credit card, could carry the burden but obviously that ain't happening if the 25 aren't sold:-

£7 x 25 = £175.00 + £20 = £195.00 + 20% = £234 / 25 = £9.36 each
Plus on top of that, you'll need to pay your postage, from me to you. I've used all my free stamps this year.

Which leads onto the caps themselves.
Design by committee never works. Here's the template we've kind of been working to, if my memory serves:-

Colour - Brighton Blue.
.......... 2 or 4 white stripes from front to back across the centre panel.

White lettering - RIDE or FALL

....................... smaller 'hand written' back northstandchat then below cycling geeks, preferably something more Italic, but you get the point.

....... Brim side - Albion logo

CYCLING CAPS PROVISIONAL ORDER FORM can be found on 'geeks'.

Just 3 left to sell.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Interesting stuff, as I was about to post a similar thread. Looking at cycling to work 2/3 times a week - it is only a 2 mile journey along mostly-tarmacced canal paths.

I thought a hybrid would be best - how much should I spend? What should I look for? (I have no knowledge of bikes, and haven't cycled regularly since I passed my driving test 10 years ago)

Last edited:

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i have been dong this or two weeks, 6 miles each way. Using a mountain bike currently and would seriously suggest you get a road bike. I'm in my highest gear and i still get people whizz past me on their road bikes with minimal effort!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Interesting stuff, as I was about to post a similar thread. Looking at cycling to work 2/3 times a week - it is only a 2 mile journey along mostly-tarmacced canal paths.

I thought a hybrid would be best - how much should I spend? What should I look for? (I have no knowledge of bikes, and haven't cycled regularly since I passed my driving test 10 years ago)

A hybrid is probably best, unless the route is entirely tarmac where a road bike is likely to be better for the commute. Are you looking to use the bike for leisure purposes, or shopping trips as well, or just A to B? Do you need to carry anything with you on a regular basis?

Oh, you'll need a cap from Stat Brother too! :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here