Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why didn't they just sack him?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How much more sense would it have been to have just sacked him outright and then defended a compensation claim in good time whilst a new manager was getting on with the job? How can it possibly be tenable for him to keep working here even if he's found not guilty of whatever allegations have been made?

Unless there's deep splits within the Board on this matter, I can't see the logic.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Maybe there are deep splits within the board and maybe splits have been created by Paul barber - a man I neither respect nor trust. I would much rather pb be given his p45 than gp. I just hope that none/not many of our newer fans and season ticket holders don't start falling out of love with bha over this complete shambles.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The good old Barber bashing crops up again by the clueless.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
How much more sense would it have been to have just sacked him outright and then defended a compensation claim in good time whilst a new manager was getting on with the job? How can it possibly be tenable for him to keep working here even if he's found not guilty of whatever allegations have been made?

Unless there's deep splits within the Board on this matter, I can't see the logic.

I was thinking this same thing - clubs just sack managers every day without a second thought. But, in this situation I think the club were expecting another club to come in for Gus quickly and pay the £2.5m compensation, which is a win win for everyone. In fact I think this is the crux of the matter....without speculating!!

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
The good old Barber bashing crops up again by the clueless.

So you are proud of the way 'the club' appears to be conducting itself are you - I am questioning the 'how' as much as, in fact even more so than the 'what' and I for one am deeply concerned about the detrimental consequences this is having on our club - but also very firmly believe that what doesn't destroy you makes you stronger

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
£9 million already over spent then add another £2.5 million the club needs to reduce its outgoings not increase them

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Even from deepest Borneo you can see the blinking obvious KG. To try to push him out with a 500 page submission of wrong doing evidence shows how demented the corporate twits are. It's not nice especially after the success he brought - but just sack the guy and move on (Adams was probably treated worse). This interminable "process" has just dragged on and on, and created damage at every level. Sadly we are stuck with Barber now and a successful if passionate and stubborn manager will be gone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Another 'lets have a go at Barber for no apparent reason' thread?

I'm happy to have a go at him, that should clear by now. But I'm not trying to do it in this thread, in fact I am honestly asking a question - putting aside all the rest of the acrimony and so on - why didn't they just sack him? If they have a case they won't have to pay compensation to Gus, if they don't have a case they will, so why not just sack him and play the rest of the game out in due course like every other club does.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I really don't know how people can make sweeping statements about either Gus or Barber and lay the blame at anyone's feet without knowing what's happened and what Gus has done.

The agenda against Barber is pretty over the top from some on here and I think must be something to do with the fact he is turning us into a different club than we were years ago.

The same people who defend Gus for not attending yesterday as his lawyers told him not to, blame the club for suspending them.... Isn't it possible that the club sought legal advice before this and were advised to suspend him and follow the process we have ? I find it difficult to believe that all the decisions the club have made over the past four weeks have just been at Barbers whim and apparent agenda against Poyet.

Right now I don't know who has acted in the wrong, I would suggest both parties are at fault but I think some people have made their decision about who is a fault before they even know what Gus has been accused of.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'm happy to have a go at him, that should clear by now. But I'm not trying to do it in this thread, in fact I am honestly asking a question - putting aside all the rest of the acrimony and so on - why didn't they just sack him? If they have a case they won't have to pay compensation to Gus, if they don't have a case they will, so why not just sack him and play the rest of the game out in due course like every other club does.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you in this case, more the posts in this thread suggest we should sack Barber instead of Gus, despite his involvement in this being very hazy at this moment in time.

I do agree that it seems very strange that we didn't just sack him, I suppose it could be to do with the new FFP regulations? Would paying Gus off come directly out of the transfer budget?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Would paying Gus off come directly out of the transfer budget?

Yes, because we are, in effect, paying his wages. The wages of the managerial and playing staff are taken into account when calculating the team's FFP rating.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Shouldn't the question be "why didn't the club do nothing and just wait for him to be poached by another club thus pocketing £2.5m compensation, getting rid of a manager they obviously don't want and coming out of the whole situation smelling of roses"?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Sack him and there is no chance of getting any compensation from another club. All the time he's suspended there's still a chance of this happening! As and when it gets too late for this too happen, or for our new manager to take the helm and prepare for the season ahead, then the axe will fall. You could say it's in the club's interests to toy with Gus until it sees fit to sack him!

Am I missing something or could it really be as simple as that?!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yes, because we are in effect paying his wages. The wages of the managerial and playing staff are taken into account when calculating the teams FFP rating.
But when do/did the regulations for FFP come into place? Was it as soon as the transfer window opened?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Shouldn't the question be "why didn't the club do nothing and just wait for him to be poached by another club thus pocketing £2.5m compensation, getting rid of a manager they obviously don't want and coming out of the whole situation smelling of roses"?

Maybe because nobody else seems to want him or, at least, want him enough to pay £2.5m for him.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Sack him and there is no chance of getting any compensation from another club. All the time he's suspended there's still a chance of this happening! As and when it gets too late for this too happen, or for our new manager to take the helm and prepare for the season ahead, then the axe will fall. You could say it's in the club's interests to toy with Gus until it sees fit to sack him!

Am I missing something or could it really be as simple as that?!
I doubt Tony would risk the entirety of next season gambling on the fact that another club will come in for him. I doubt his antics have endeared him to many clubs either. We need a new manager in asap so they can sign players and coach pre season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, because we are, in effect, paying his wages. The wages of the managerial and playing staff are taken into account when calculating the team's FFP rating.

We wouldn't have to pay off Gus in a single payment. It would be at his current pay rate, and only until he got another job which payed equal or more.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
But when do/did the regulations for FFP come into place? Was it as soon as the transfer window opened?

This is a good point. We need to be running at under an 8 million pound loss for the 2013/2014 SEASON (as I understand it.) If this is true, if we sack him before the pre-season is underway wouldn't that constitute us as still being in the 2012/2013 season and as such Tony can pay him off without the cash coming into the remit of the 2013/2014 season? The fixtures aren't even out yet are they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here