Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Weight

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
I'm a fatty, and need to lose weight.

BMI is 28, and trust me none of that is down to muscle.

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

So yeah, I just need tips basically, cheers.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

Eat less ??
Move around a bit ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Stay below 600 calories on two non consecutive days two days a week and eat NORMALLY for the other 5 days. It's called Intermittant fasting and it works.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Secret eaters was a good programme to watch. People are in denial as to how much they consume.

If you are hungry. Try water first. Generally, you are thirsty before being hungry.

Goat lung

Jan 27, 2013
Stay below 600 calories on two non consecutive days two days a week and eat NORMALLY for the other 5 days. It's called Intermittant fasting and it works.

Absolutely works , lost a stone easy as u like with the fasting diet and the nice thing is the day after is normal !

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Go see Alex at Corals Gym in Hove... Unfortunately Drop Dead Fred is right, but a bit of professional help will assist. Eat less and exercise more. A good tip is to write down EVERYTHING you eat and drink for a while. The most problems arise from snacking and alcohol. Good luck with it though. Although I have lapsed a little over the last year, when I started on a new "regime" I lost 3 stone in 4 months and have not looked back.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
In my opinion you will not achieve it just by dieting or at least it will be difficult, needs a change of lifestyle which includes exercise, and one of the most enjoyable ways of doing this especially in summer is to get yourself a bike (cycle !) and a computer and set yourself some targets either trying to do a regular distance faster or upping your distance. For someone who is overweight this has no negative impact or strain on joints etc (ie running) and great for cardio vascular, and can make the most of our lovely British summer / explore.

Can assure you if you motivate yourself and push yourself a little you will see the pounds drop / drip off and see quick results (and I think recording these can motivate you even more)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Eat less, move more. The only way that works, long-term.

No good saying eating less isn't an option, or else you might as well not bother. And if you really cut down, then do more exercise. There is no shortcut - it's one or the other or, ideally, both.

5-2 is a great diet. In fact it's more than that, it is a lifestyle change, given the health benefits.

Good luck

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I ran 10 miles this morning. It hurts, undoubtedly, but i burnt about 1700 calories and could squeeze into a t-shirt i've been rather bulgey in the last few months. Just find an exercise you're a bit into and let it become as much fun as it is a determined ritual. I like plodding around the streets and seeing new places and weird things that go on early in the morning. Find something similar and cut down on the eating a bit and it should be an ok and gradual process. Cycling can be a laugh if you get out there before the world fills with all its motors and raging wheel-grippers.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Lots of good advice there, i also recommend some common sense - if you have a 'bad' day (have a curry, eat crap etc) then try and balance it out with a healthier day (have a salad, eat fruit, cut down on carbs etc) and it'll help. I've found going on a bike ride helps - i was crap to begin with (tired after a few miles) but now i love going out on longer rides on the downs etc. I've heard people mention the 5-2 diet and it sounds good, though obv i'm not sure of any long terms benefits/issues so that's your call.

I know how easy it is to eat too much - my portion sizes are MASSIVE (boom boom) and working from home means its really easy to snack more, but i've found having a filling breakfast (i go for a big bowl of porridge, with honey, or a bit of Nutella to help it) stops the mid morning cravings and cutting down on portion sizes helps too.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Very impressed by the Fast Diet [Dr Michael Mosley & Mimi Spencer] you choose two days in the week to fast, in fact you are allowed two low calorie meals the remaining days eat a normal sensible amount and take exercise

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I only asked because in my prime two years ago, I could do 10 miles in circa 85 mins but probably could just about do the same as you at the moment if I pushed it. My late Father died 2.5 Years ago and had the same "cuddly" build as me but has a certificate that showed him running the Maidenhead & Windsor 10 miles un in the late 60s in 56 minutes. I keep on looking at it thinking there must be a misprint! Must have been something in the water in those days.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
What do you actually weigh though and your height. BMi is notoriously misleading because muscle weighs more than fat (as I tell my wife every night).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here