Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex-cons selling stuff door-to-door

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've just had a bloke knock on my door and he explained who he was - recovering addict just out after doing a stretch for a mugging- what he was now doing and the things he was selling (cleaning products mainly) and I was happy to help him out. I picked out a few things and then he told me the price. £4.99 for computer screen wipes, £3,99 for 10 jay cloths. £9.99 for an oven mitt.

"'kin hell mate. That's daylight robbery"

awkward silence.

Honestly though, I'm all for these kinds of schemes to get people on the straight and narrow but someone's making a fortune from this.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Had a few of them at my door and they just get sent on their way, I hav'nt got a clue if they're genuine or not but I never buy from people at the door.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Funny that. I answered the door to one of these the other day, told him to do one, went back indoors and someone had been in the back door and pinched a load of computer wipes, jay cloths and oven mitts.

Sheesh.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Funny that. I answered the door to one of these the other day, told him to do one, went back indoors and someone had been in the back door and pinched a load of computer wipes, jay cloths and oven mitts.

Sheesh.

That's a coincidence. I've just sold exactly the same thing to some mug with more money than sense.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe they are scoring what they can rob from the household.

Sell some computer screen wipes. The occupant has a computer. Sell some oven mitts. They've got an oven. Sell some Jay cloths. They've got some kitchen surfaces. Sell some linseed oil, wear a thick coat and quiet shoes.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Used to have door salesmen who were students selling Similar items with a large markup.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Maybe they are scoring what they can rob from the household.

Sell some computer screen wipes. The occupant has a computer. Sell some oven mitts. They've got an oven. Sell some Jay cloths. They've got some kitchen surfaces. Sell some linseed oil, wear a thick coat and quiet shoes.

I don't think he'll be back. I bought some gun oil, hamster tube and lubricant.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Reminds me a couple of years ago on Xmas eve about 10pm someone knocked on the door. As we all had had a few I went and opened the door. Turned out to be an Israeli girl student selling original art!
Well being slightly the worse for wear we invited her into the lounge where she started selling with some knowledge these artworks. Feeling full of the Xmas cheer I ended up shelling out £250 quid for an oil that now hangs in the hallway.
Anyone, traipsing around on Xmas eve selling original art deserved the sale!

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reminds me a couple of years ago on Xmas eve about 10pm someone knocked on the door. As we all had had a few I went and opened the door. Turned out to be an Israeli girl student selling original art!
Well being slightly the worse for wear we invited her into the lounge where she started selling with some knowledge these artworks. Feeling full of the Xmas cheer I ended up shelling out £250 quid for an oil that now hangs in the hallway.

Quick question, how do you know it was original art?

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
They come knocking on our door in London every couple of months. I did a bit of checking up on them. They are bused over from walthamstow with a load of stuff bought from a pound shop then they feed you a sob story any try to sell you a sponge for a fiver.
On one occasion when i told the guy I didn't need anything he went from being smiley to aggressive as I closed the door.
As the OP said it is literally daylight robbery.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
My mother and I bought from one lad, who came across genuine. He even said the prices were high, but that's what they're told to sell them at. I wish them luck, at least they're trying to reform.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Talk about having a few the bottle i have had made me read that as trapezing around and i though why on earth was the girl flying on a high wire?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If anyone comes to my door unexpected, it means they are not invited, and if you're not invited you can **** off.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

you wuzz robbed....they are mas produced in vietnam.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
legalised mugging

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If anyone comes to my door unexpected, it means they are not invited, and if you're not invited you can **** off.

Exactly this - and I USED to actually do door to door work in Brighton and Hove up until a few weeks ago.

The worst job I have ever done, without a doubt. Treated staff badly and the pay was awful. In fact the company I worked for still operates in Brighton, so if you get people in purple bibs from a charity knocking on your door, chances are those staff are in the same situation. I like charity but your mugging people at the end of the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here