Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This binman strike...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Where do you stand on it?

Having read the Argus and their snippet with one of the affected, it made me wonder whether they (and he, in particular) were out of touch with reality. Any pay cut is going to be felt, especially at the moment.

But better a pay cut than a redundancy and be scrapping for a job which, probably, won't even be as well paid as their current one after the cuts.

Also, politics is going to cause the workers problems. The union loves it, they'll strike all day long - what does it matter to them? Name in the paper, fight the man. It is the staff who matter.

The state of North Street today is a disgrace and they should be ashamed of themselves in my opinion. If they do not want the job with the terms outlined, no problem. That is their decision. Move on. Let a new wave of unemployed step in and take the job on instead. I'm sure Kitkat at the council is being unreasonable, but that is a separate matter for me. My support was lost when they went out on strike. Repeatedly.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Having read the Argus and their snippet with one of the affected, it made me wonder whether they (and he, in particular) were out of touch with reality. Any pay cut is going to be felt, especially at the moment.

But better a pay cut than a redundancy and be scrapping for a job which, probably, won't even be as well paid as their current one after the cuts.

Also, politics is going to cause the workers problems. The union loves it, they'll strike all day long - what does it matter to them? Name in the paper, fight the man. It is the staff who matter.

The state of North Street today is a disgrace and they should be ashamed of themselves in my opinion. If they do not want the job with the terms outlined, no problem. That is their decision. Move on. Let a new wave of unemployed step in and take the job on instead. I'm sure Kitkat at the council is being unreasonable, but that is a separate matter for me. My support was lost when they went out on strike. Repeatedly.

So, no minimum wage then? Employment is not a race to the bottom. Anyway, they did want the job for the outlined terms - the terms were then changed.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
root problem here is people creating too much waste.

if one eats live food (non processed - so no wrapping or plastic) - and composts, then ones weekly waste is little more than 1 carrier bag.

ive seen housholds in the UK that are disgusting in their wasteage.......the mess you see in the streets in from people, not from dustmen "not taking it away."

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
So, no minimum wage then? Employment is not a race to the bottom. Anyway, they did want the job for the outlined terms - the terms were then changed.

Playing devil's advocate here... if the terms changed, and they no longer want the job for the new terms, why do they not just resign? I'm sure the new terms will still remain higher than the legal minimum wage.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

So if your employer decided to cut your wages to maintain their profit margin would you go along with that ? Would you be happy if your workload doubled because of job cuts after a "downsizing exercise" ?

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
If you were applying for the job now would you consider these terms unfair?

tms.JPG

Oct 25, 2003
our road has about 70 houses on it, all multi-occupancy (mainly 4 bedrooms i'd estimate) and we share 3 of those 'big bin' things. In the past month or so the road has started to resemble a third world country...it's absolutely horrific. You literally can't walk down the street without having to step over rubbish several times, it stinks because it's summer and the seagulls, who i believe have just given birth, are going absolutely apeshit...not to mention the foxes

my sympathy is certainly dwindling. It's not the general publics fault that they've had their pay cut, yet we're the ones being punished...great, cheers guys.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
our road has about 70 houses on it, all multi-occupancy (mainly 4 bedrooms i'd estimate) and we share 3 of those 'big bin' things. In the past month or so the road has started to resemble a third world country...it's absolutely horrific. You literally can't walk down the street without having to step over rubbish several times, it stinks because it's summer and the seagulls, who i believe have just given birth, are going absolutely apeshit...not to mention the foxes

my sympathy is certainly dwindling. It's not the general publics fault that they've had their pay cut, yet we're the ones being punished...great, cheers guys.

I assume you've contacted the council the general public voted for and challenged them over the pay cuts then...

This distinction between the Union and the Staff is ridiculous. 96 per cent of the staff voted in favour of strike action.

If you are going to highlight the politics, it's worth noting that only 55 per cent of Green councillors support Kitcat's leadership.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Can someone explain why CityClean, the contractors, aren't in any way to blame?
are you sure cityclean are contractors? I thought they were just a rebranding of our public service.

The real problem lies with the council, they've seemingly gone in with the pay cut with no consultation whatsoever, which has left he workers position untenable. I normally staunchly against strike action being fairly conservative. However, a £4000 pay cut is brutal at a time of austerity.

Following some refuse workers on twitter, many are losing a week's worth of wages to strike. That doesn't sound like they're not willing to negotiate. So to me, the council is the problem. The workers appear to be eager to get into discussion.
Either way, this needs to be sorted for the sake of our city, it is unhygienic and bad for our small businesses who rely on tourism.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Genuine question, have the terms changed then? I thought it was a case of overtime and anti social hours pay being removed?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you were applying for the job now would you consider these terms unfair?

View attachment 43786

It all depends on the individual. I work in retail and have a part time hours contract which means any overtime I do is paid at single rate. I don't get paid any extra working at weekends and on bank holidays get time and a half. I am a union member but my employer has no national recognition agreement with them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The real problem lies with the council, they've seemingly gone in with the pay cut with no consultation whatsoever, which has left he workers position untenable.

i gather they have started the consultation, which is still on going, but the union have called their membes out immediatly. certinly not the first time a union takes this approach to "negotiations", and their (and members) own worst enemy often.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
i gather they have started the consultation, which is still on going, but the union have called their membes out immediatly. certinly not the first time a union takes this approach to "negotiations", and their (and members) own worst enemy often.

I thought the £4000 pay cut was announced before the consultation, which is what caused the spur.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here