Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drink Drive

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Just following some twitter stuff and got me wondering.

Do you have a drink and then drive?, if so how much. For me never more than a pint and at Xmas nothing.

Mornings worry me on the odd occasion. Not a heavy drinker but is it still in my system.

Would love to debate.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Never more than 1 drink.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Used to drink and drive over the limit alot,many moons ago though when i was young and an idiot,everyone seemed to do it even the off duty police that drank at my old mans pub,and i saw them as a kid crawl into their cars before going home,attitudes change thankfully

nowadays i just dont drink and drive at all except for home football games where i limit myself to an ale after the match(to hopefully what is under the limit)

The morning thing is a real conundrum though,my brother got stopped recently at 8am(not in this country i might add) and was 0.02mg under the limit,the copper told him he was the luckiest bugger they had ever stopped.

i would definitely suspect,along with many others getting stopped in the morning would now be the biggest issue

Last edited:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Not sure how accurate stopping people in the morning is. Obviously you have to set a precedent and cannot allow people to drive around potentially not in control of their actions, but quite often in the morning after drinking you are completely sober and alert, yet the alcohol level in your blood can belie that.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
would only have 1 pint now, mornings were a bitch when i was younger, used to crawl in the door at 2/3am then get up at 8am for work, still drunk and drive to work, looking back on it, i was very lucky

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
No, and people that do are ***** - especially if they are well over the limit. It's all fun and games until you're dead and being scooped-up out of the back seat with a shovel.

Last edited:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
No, and people that do are ***** - especially if they are well over the limit. It's all fun and games until your dead and being scooped-up out of the back seat with a shovel.

I'm not so fussed about people choosing to be idiots and drive over the limit and die themselves; it's more potentially the people they could kill because of there decisions/actions.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure how accurate stopping people in the morning is. Obviously you have to set a precedent and cannot allow people to drive around potentially not in control of their actions, but quite often in the morning after drinking you are completely sober and alert, yet the alcohol level in your blood can belie that.

Yes, but how you feel in yourself is not a guide to how quick your reactions are. If the level of alcohol in your blood is still enough to put you over the limit, then it's enough to slow your reaction times, which is the crucial point here.

The last drink driver I dealt with was earlier this week. He was still twice the legal limit just after midday. He admitted he'd had "a skinful" but was adamant it was all the night before and he'd slept since. It matters not, as he'll now lose his licence. He seemed fine to talk to, bright eyed and so on, but the officer who spotted him said his driving was erratic. So it doesn't follow that because you feel good, you're fine (another side effect of alcohol, of course, is that it makes you feel good about yourself, hence thinking you're alright to drive).

Anecdotally, I can tell you that plenty more drink drivers than normal are being caught currently, as there's a major campaign on to crack down on it. There are checkpoints being run morning and night,all over the county, and you'd be surprised at how many morning-after ones are being scooped up.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
half a pint and would not drive at all that day,when younger did drive the morning after so not a complete angel,drink drivers should lose the car on 1st offence and prison/life ban on second:thumbsup:

i am not defending drink driving but i presume you dont take into consideration someone who is 1/2 pint or a glass of wine over the limit compared to someone who is completely tanked.......you would have a blanket ban and the prison for all?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
What's quite interesting is that people who get arrested for drink-driving are quite often completely law abiding types in every other respect. They'd never be out getting in a fight, or stealing batteries from Tesco. They're frequently perfectly ordinary, respectable citizens in every other way.

I see grown men reduced to tears in the back of the job car as the realisation of losing the licence, the car, potentially their job, their reputation, and a whole lot of self respect hits home. And also the prospect of spending a night in the cells with a load of pissed up, screeching Friday night drunks, drug dealers, wife beaters, burglars and rapists, and of course gaining a criminal record.

Keeping your dignity isn't easy when you're locked up the same as all the people you'd normally regard as low-lifes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, but how you feel in yourself is not a guide to how quick your reactions are. If the level of alcohol in your blood is still enough to put you over the limit, then it's enough to slow your reaction times, which is the crucial point here.

The last drink driver I dealt with was earlier this week. He was still twice the legal limit just after midday. He admitted he'd had "a skinful" but was adamant it was all the night before and he'd slept since. It matters not, as he'll now lose his licence. He seemed fine to talk to, bright eyed and so on, but the officer who spotted him said his driving was erratic. So it doesn't follow that because you feel good, you're fine (another side effect of alcohol, of course, is that it makes you feel good about yourself, hence thinking you're alright to drive).

Anecdotally, I can tell you that plenty more drink drivers than normal are being caught currently, as there's a major campaign on to crack down on it. There are checkpoints being run morning and night,all over the county, and you'd be surprised at how many morning-after ones are being scooped up.

Though not advocating drink driving at all your last paragraph relates to a major crack down on drink driving. These check points are legal but the copper has to suspect the driver has consumed a drink by ascertaining if their breath smells, slurred speech or glazed eyes etc. The morning after if, if these people have had a good brekkie, cleaned their teeth, gone for jog etc the chances are they will show no apparent outward sign of having a skinfull the night before. This will not stop the copper from requesting a breath test. Is that right?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Though not advocating drink driving at all your last paragraph relates to a major crack down on drink driving. These check points are legal but the copper has to suspect the driver has consumed a drink by ascertaining if their breath smells, slurred speech or glazed eyes etc. The morning after if, if these people have had a good brekkie, cleaned their teeth, gone for jog etc the chances are they will show no apparent outward sign of having a skinfull the night before. This will not stop the copper from requesting a breath test. Is that right?

you keep telling yourself that:)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here