Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No word yet and its Friday afternoon so lets lighten the mood. O/T The magic of Colour TV

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
As we have a wide range of ages on NSC, two questions to get the old grey matter going.

1)Can you remember the first major event or programme you ever watched in colour on TV?

2)What was the first F A Cup final you watched in colour?

Answers for me are

1) The investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales in 1969

2) Arsenal vs Liverpool 1971 when Charlie George got the winner.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ah, nostagia

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I remember it was a cricket match.
I'd come home from school all excited cos I knew D.E.R were delivering it.
My Dad had turned the colour down to play a trick on me and I got all disappointed but then he turned it up.

Dad was a wanker like that

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Born 1985, so the ones I remember clearly:

1) Barcelona 1992 Olympics
2) 1992 FA Cup final - Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Colour wise, I can't remember perhaps Andy Pandy - hardly a major event!!!

FA Cup Final - Southampton vs Man Utd 1976 FA Cup Final.....

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
As we have a wide range of ages on NSC, two questions to get the old grey matter going.

1)Can you remember the first major event or programme you ever watched in colour on TV?

Answers for me are

Frightening - we must be the same age!!! I think you could add - first film - only trouble I seem to recall it was King Kong (the original) which of course was b&w!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
1st colour tv show was some kids program called ' Robert's Robots'

First colour football game was the 1971 FA Cup Final Liverpool v Arsenal. Also recall England losing to Poland at Wembley thanks to a mixture of brilliance and luck by their keeper Tomawhat's his name

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
1st colour tv show was some kids program called ' Robert's Robots'

First colour football game was the 1971 FA Cup Final Liverpool v Arsenal. Also recall England losing to Poland at Wembley thanks to a mixture of brilliance and luck by their keeper Tomawhat's his name

It was a 1 1 draw but knocked us out of the World Cup at the group stage,first time ever, Cloughie called their keeper a Clown and if my memory serves me correctly within days he rocked football by joining the Albion.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Similar - I didn't know the colour telly was turning up. First program was "Thomas the Tank Engine" - I didn't notice the colour as our B/W did pink and green specs - Then the blue & yellow globe came on for the news

First FA cup final that I remember West Ham vs Fulham 1975 -

I was IN the first colour TV programme I ever saw - a documentary on BBC2 about the school I went to. During the filming, we were all instructed to wear our black school blazers at all times, because the white shirts we wore would distort the colour balance, if too many of them appeared on screen simultaneously.

The TV was round a friend's house, incidentally, not in the ancestral home.

Does anyone remember how, in the early days of British colour TV, American programmes looked awful? Something to do with the different technical standards that applied to colour broadcasting on the other side of the Atlantic.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Answers for me are

Our next door neighbours had a colour TV Long before we did, so I used to go and watch cartoons there as Scooby Doo and Tom and jerry seemed far more exciting in colour.

Oh, and as above for the Cup final.

I seem to remember a cup final between West Brom and Everton, played on purple grass.

But, and I never thought I would post this, I can outdo Lord B. Not only was I in an early colour TV programme, it was one of the ones broadcast on the opening night of colour TV. There had been a few test programmes but the first full schedule was on BBC2. One of the programmes shown that evening was a Petula Clark concert at the Albert Hall. Some of the audience was in the area behind the stage where the choirs stand, but that night the area was given over to the audience.

And guess who was in the front row? 2nd December 1967 - and I haven't changed a bit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here