Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Last edited:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
20 years ago, that really is scary. He was a proper playboy!!!!!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
For those of us of a certain age, him and Barry Sheene will always be the main men.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Barry Sheene a great bloke met him a couple of times when my wife worked at Shoreham airport. He was taking his helicopter license , Ian Botham too about the same time.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
S0-Heidfeld-jette-sa-BMW-dans-l-Enfer-vert-72998.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Hunt the shunt
that Japanese GP was the one that will always stick in my mind

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Saw James Hunt testing for McLaren at Goodwood back in '77 (when he was the reigning World Champion). In those days you just wander into the infield area, sit on the pit wall and listen to the drivers and mechanics chatting. No stewards or security. None of this £250 to get a paddock pass nonsense.

Hunt handed over driving the car to his teammate Patrick Tambay but Hunt stayed on the pit wall and was very approachable. Every time Tambay drove back into the pits Hunt was taking the p*ss out of him. Somewhere in my loft I have a photo of Hunt who happily posed by his car and was wearing a no.7 Barry Sheene t-shirt. The 1977 McLaren wasn't that competitive but the Goodwood test must have helped because I recall Hunt won the British GP at Silverstone a few days later.

Hunt was a great character. It is mindboggling to think that the current world champ would test at somewhere so basic as Goodwood was in those days, but several of the F1 teams did. Especially considering that team founder Bruce McLaren was killed there in 1970. No run off areas just a concrete perimeter wall with about a foot gap at the bottom that would have so easily sliced an F1 car in half. Scary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here