Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone abroad advice please

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
New owner of iPhone and going to Stuttgart tomorrow.

I've found out how to turn off roaming and 3g through the cellular setting but is there anything I need to know? Was just going to turn my phone off rather than incur charges but I need to be contactable.

What about maps? Can I use maps and not be charged? Or shall I be old school and get a paper map?

Also can anyone recommend apps as a guide? Lonely planet? Rough guide?

Help and advice appreciated!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If you use maps on the iphone abroad you will be hit with the very high roaming data download charges.

The cost of calls abroad have fallen but data costs are still ridiculously high

Switch off cellular data under settings/general/cellular

Depending on the network you may be able to prepay data.

T mobile do euro data packages. In fact you cant use data without one. They start from less than a fiver and when I had a 2 week holiday in europe last year I managed to run my business (checking emails, skype calls) for less than £50.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Use Hullomail. Divert all calls BEFORE you leave the country. Make sure it is set to email your messages and then check them if you have a wifi connection, when you can also make free or very cheap calls & text for nothing with whatsapp. .

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And if you're on O2 it's only £2 a day for data roaming. Worth considering for short visits.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I was abroad earlier this month and data roaming is far cheaper than last year

This is the O2 text I received;

Welcome to NETHERLANDS. You're on O2 Travel. Data costs £1.99 per day. Calls to the UK/EU cost 50p to connect, then it's free to talk for the first 60 minutes, after 60 minutes UK out of bundle rates apply. Answering your phone also costs 50p to connect then it's free to talk for up to 60 minutes, after 60 minutes UK out of bundle rates apply. Texts are 8.5p (and free to receive). Prices inc. VAT. Further info Freephone 2266. Emergency services call 112

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I was abroad earlier this month and data roaming is far cheaper than last year

This is the O2 text I received;

Welcome to NETHERLANDS. You're on O2 Travel. Data costs £1.99 per day. Calls to the UK/EU cost 50p to connect, then it's free to talk for the first 60 minutes, after 60 minutes UK out of bundle rates apply. Answering your phone also costs 50p to connect then it's free to talk for up to 60 minutes, after 60 minutes UK out of bundle rates apply. Texts are 8.5p (and free to receive). Prices inc. VAT. Further info Freephone 2266. Emergency services call 112

I think it's 25Mb of data for that £1.99, so depending on what the OP wants to access, that may or may not be sufficient. O2 text you when you get close to the limit and allow you to pay another £1.99 for another 25Mb, though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
New owner of iPhone and going to Stuttgart tomorrow.

I've found out how to turn off roaming and 3g through the cellular setting but is there anything I need to know? Was just going to turn my phone off rather than incur charges but I need to be contactable.

What about maps? Can I use maps and not be charged? Or shall I be old school and get a paper map?

Also can anyone recommend apps as a guide? Lonely planet? Rough guide?

Help and advice appreciated!

Your iPhone has a GPS chip in it that will work without 3g / data etc. You can download a free app like MotionX.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Download an offline maps app like "OffMaps", which you can use without 3g, just runs off the GPS alongside the maps which you've downloaded beforehand. Need to remember to download a detailed map for the area you're going to, in the app before you go (or when you're abroad using wifi if you can find it).

Alternatively if you are travelling within the EU only, and you're on 3 network, they have a £5 a day service which enables you to use unlimited 3g for email, internet etc in the EU, with no extra costs (other than the £5). They send you a text when you arrive, then you turn on roaming, click the link in the text and that's it -- no extra charges. I've found it really useful.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Download this app its sat nav for Germany but doesn't require data or roaming etc..

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-gps-germany-+-street/id422587568?mt=8

I used the USA one and it worked most of the time you may have to download regions in the app before you go

I've used this in Germany and the US, definitely handy when you're trying to save on the data roaming costs or just if you're struggling to get the 3G signal for Google maps.

Also, as I Sky broadband customer I get free access to the Cloud network, which I found pickls up some WiFi in Germany, so worth looking into that.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Download this app its sat nav for Germany but doesn't require data or roaming etc..

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-gps-germany-+-street/id422587568?mt=8

I used the USA one and it worked most of the time you may have to download regions in the app before you go

Although it took ages to load from iTunes onto my iPhone this app was invaluable. I would recommend it for any country.

Thank you.

Stuttgart was a great place to go, especially with children. The zoo was incredible and the parks were fantastic. Bloody hot too. Very chilly Monday at work in comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here