Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crackdown on Brighton seafront cyclists

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10482645.Crackdown_on_Brighton_seafront_cyclists/?ref=mr

Not before time either, been getting away with for so long it's becoming acceptable.

It took two years for Sussex Police to issue just 100 fines to cyclists using pavements in the county.

But following complaints from residents of Kemp Town about two-wheelers abusing Marine Parade, police handed out 45 in just 120 minutes last week.

More than £1,300 was generated in fines in a few hours after the crackdown was launched.

Cycling groups have criticised the police, declaring the measures over the top.

A Sussex Police spokesman said they targeted people on the morning of June 5 after people in Kemp Town, Brighton, complained.

He said: “Local businesses and members of the public walking in the Kemp Town area raised the issue.

“Local officers completed two hours on that Wednesday morning by the Sea Life Centre.

“Apparently it seems to be more of an issue in the morning.

“People were issued with a ticket for a £30 fine unless they dispute it and this can lead to a court appearance.

“Riding a cycle on the footway is an offence for which a fixed penalty notice can be issued.

“Local officers and PCSOs work to monitor the frequency of this type of behaviour, which can cause concern in local communities and will take action according to local circumstances.”

Becky Reynolds, from the cyclers’ campaign group Bricycle, said: “The police don’t always definitively know where it is and isn’t legal to cycle.

“In the past there have been errors where cyclists have been given fixed penalty notices when they were not cycling illegally and fines have had to be cancelled after we have challenged the action.

“Fixed penalty notices were never intended for responsible cyclists, who sometimes use the pavement out of fear of traffic.

“I have previously had to challenge the use of the phrase ‘zero tolerance’ by police for pavement cycling.

“Cyclists should always behave responsibly, but pedestrians have far more to fear from contact with motor vehicles.

“With police resources spread thinly I would hope that the police and PCSOs are prioritising enforcement against the most dangerous road behaviour, not picking on people, particularly children, who are avoiding traffic or unfriendly road design. Education is preferable to fines.”

Brighton and Hove City Council said fining of cyclists was a police issue.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Do one, love. Bikes on the road, people on the pavement! Simple!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Folk cycle on the pavements all the time here but no one is really bothered about it. Why the huge difference in outlook?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Folk cycle on the pavements all the time here but no one is really bothered about it. Why the huge difference in outlook?

Exactly what I'm saying, they been doing it for so long it's become acceptable.
Next it will be red light jumping, the longer it goes on it becomes more acceptable.

Pavements are for the safety of pedestrian from propelled vehicles.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think this has to happen, its long overdue. The police will regularly target drink driving, speeding or cars driven without MOT's/insurance about time they looked at the dangerous cyclists who seem to be immune from prosecution.

As an aside, I came round a corner in Worthing the other day to find a teenage girl skateboarding along, 6 ft out in to the road travelling in the same direction as me. She seemed oblivious to the sound of my engine approaching from behind so I gave her a toot and she reluctantly stopped, picked her board up and walked to the pavement giving me a surly look. Amazingly after I passed she went straight back on to the road and carried on as before until another car came a long and did the same as me...mad, bad.retard or what ?

PS, I had an apology from a cyclist who nearly wiped me out as I crossed the Lewes Road on Sunday, I said "sorry mate, my fault, I saw that the Green Man was illuminated and I made the mistake of thinking that it was red for everyone else "

Egon Spengler

Jul 5, 2011

Yep, it does appear to be only this side of the channel that we're weirdly territorial about it all.

Another cycling thread doesn't 'necessarily' make NSC boring though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Pleased to note at last the police are taking action against illegal cycling on the pavement.which is increasing due to lack of action, a friends wife was struck as she left her drive, she suffered a broken leg and damaged pelvis,the cyclist swore at her and continued on.
It is hoped the police will now concentrate on the Hove Lawns area, cyclists completely ignore the clear signs causing problems to the many pedestrians, the sound of the waves mask the approach of cyclists some of which are riding at speed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think this has to happen, its long overdue. The police will regularly target drink driving, speeding or cars driven without MOT's/insurance about time they looked at the dangerous cyclists who seem to be immune from prosecution.

The pedant in me would argue the FACT that drunk drivers, speeding cars, and vehicles unsafe for the road, cause more fatalities and serious injury, than riding on the pavement.

But I would be a moron to defend ALL cyclists, in the same way you would be silly to defend all motorists and pedestrians.
(What's the point in having a cycle path if you can't ride it due to people walking on it, blindly stepping into it, or swinging their man bags at cyclists for ringing their bell!!)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Theones tearing down the pavements are, which is the ones I was referring to

Then why did you start your post by saying 'Good. I detest cyclists. Selfish pricks'? This is a bit more of a generalisation than your second post. You're a bit of a reactionary cock, aren't you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here