Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A4 No.4464 'BITTERN' hits 91 mph!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
..........breaking the official heritage era steam speed record.

7263317360_e0609c2c02_z.jpg

Everyone loves a steam train right?

Well on May 29th Bittern hit 91.5 mph on the Great Western Mainline when it set the new official record speed record for the preserved steam era.

Not quite the 126.1 mph 'Mallard' hit in 1938 but impressive never the less. :clap2:

I think 60163 Tornado could give Bittern a run for her money. 34067 Tangmere would be ex-Southern loco's best shot.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think 60163 Tornado could give Bittern a run for her money. 34067 Tangmere would be ex-Southern loco's best shot.

Mmm, interesting. Tornado is a new build so possible but the A1/A3's were designed to hit 100mph which Flying Scotsman did achieve. Bittern only had a mainline license to go 90mph so was restricted on her test run.

The SR Battle of Britain classes were lighter but had issues and were not as aerodynamic as the LNER A4's and were heavier after their BR rebuilds.

My money is still on the Gresley A4.

Of course you can't go wrong with the world record holder when it comes to speed but i think i'm right that the last British steam loco to break the 100 mph barrier was a Battle of Britain class loco in the mid 60's.

Oops, close but no cigar, it was a merchant navy which last broke the 100 mph barrier.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Of course you can't go wrong with the world record holder when it comes to speed but i think i'm right that the last British steam loco to break the 100 mph barrier was a Battle of Britain class loco in the mid 60's.

Oops, close but no cigar, it was a merchant navy which last broke the 100 mph barrier.

Yes, 105mph and also after the BR rebuild which funnily enough removed the aero covering off the boiler.

How about the LMS Princess Coronation Class streamlined? Hit 114mph in her day.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I suspect that during the last run of the Mallard 75 celebrations this record will be broken. Normally the speed limit for preserved locos is 70mph but special clearance has been given for a few high speed runs on the east coast main line. Funny enough Tornado does not have this clearance, only Bittern and it is a one off. I doubt many of the preserved main line locos are actually fit to do much more than that given that most of them are pushing 100 years old now.

Tornado was invited to visit the German test track to see exactly what speed it could hit but the owners declined, probably keeping in mind the damage done to Mallard when it broke the speed record which was never able to be properly repaired

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
It looks like there's a fair few railway enthusiast types on here! Maybe we should have an NSC steam day out? I work for the Kent & East Sussex Railway and my duties include driving steam locos, City of Truro above being one I've "had a go" on. If any of you happen to visit our line, give me a shout, I might just be able to make your visit a bit more interesting!

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
It looks like there's a fair few railway enthusiast types on here! Maybe we should have an NSC steam day out? I work for the Kent & East Sussex Railway and my duties include driving steam locos, City of Truro above being one I've "had a go" on. If any of you happen to visit our line, give me a shout, I might just be able to make your visit a bit more interesting!

I was a fireman at the Bluebell until I joined the RAF. I've recently left and am thinking about volunteering again but can't decide wether to go back to the bluebell or have a change of scenery.

Thanks for the offer Kent Seagull, I'd be up for that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Very kind of you: some "duties" they sound - a ridiculous amount of fun more like, lucky so'n'so. When I'm back on a visit I'll be in touch.

See, the train threads on here never binfest. Not even the ones when the mainline's screwed up again.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Lots of Steam fans on this Forum. Along with the Albion, Bonfire and Harvey's it shapes exactly what Sussex people are.

Time for a Steam Seagull Special?

Lots of Steam fans on this Forum. Along with the Albion, Bonfire and Harvey's it shapes exactly what Sussex people are.

Time for a Steam Seagull Special?

Oh, it'd have to be on a Southern loco too!

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
The power of Bridcutt, the speed of CMS and the flair of Vincente in a steam engine!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here