Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breed of Dog?

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
King Charles Cavaliers are probably the best dog i've seen with kids. Lovely little dogs with a wonderful temperament.

Some grooming required though.
We have two cavoodles. Same wonderful temperament with children (I have a three year-old and a four month baby), but don't need as much grooming. We just get them clipped twice a year. They also don't have the heart trouble that some cavs have.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I have a Staffie cross and she is the most docile, kid friendly dog I've ever met. Loves to play and is exceptionally gentle with my nieces and nephews ranging from 2 to 11 years old. She sheds a little bit, hoover every other day, but as to being smelly not at all. All dogs have a dog smell, just like all humans have their own distinct smell, hoover regularly and it wont be a problem.

As to some of the other breeds mentioned on here. Hungarian Vislas, need a lot of exercise and some sort of training focus like Pointing or Agility, very loyal dog though. Bulldogs, dont need a lot of exercise, but have a lot of health implications arthritis, heart and lung problems etc. Labs and Retrievers are lovely dogs, but from my exprrience the chocolate ones are a little bit mad, would avoid them.

From what you say you want I would just go have a look at some rescue centres, I got Rosie from Battersea, and get a mongrel type dog, you wont have too much to worry about and as with all dogs it's all in the training as to how well they behave. You need to put the time and effort in and you'll have yourself a lovely pet for many a year. Just don't go out and buy a dog, there's shedloads of rescues who need a good home.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
We have two male dogs; a chocolate lab and a lab/beagle/fox/cat cross. Both are now about 5.

The lab, who we got first, has been a bit of a mare. He is very grumpy and a nightmare on his lead when he sees other dogs (he wears a muzzle). He has also been known to jump at cyclists and walkers. He has calmed down a little and had quite a lot of training when he was younger, which really didn't seem to have any effect. I certainly wouldn't leave him alone with any of my daughter's school friends or anyone who he isn't familiar with. He has also had lots of medical issues (overshot jaw, back legs that are different length, and arthritis from an early age).

The mixed-breed was a rescue dog from here http://www.pupsneedinghomes.co.uk/index.html - who I think are based in Heathfield. Comparatively, he has been no bother at all. He is fine on his lead and can play happily with other dogs, and with children.

Both had their bits chopped when they were puppies.

I think we were just unlucky with our lab. Not that we don't love him, but if he was a human I think he would be regarded as 'having issues' and the other dogs probably refer to him as a 'tard.

Ho hum.

The website mentioned above has 6 lovely Labrador/Boxer puppies,this combination would seem ideal with children.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Had 3 golden labs in my lifetime - all good with kids. Minor downsides - medical issues revert to type (e.g. bad backs); all males, so danger of humping legs if their nuts were not cracked; not so much over-feeding but stopping them eating - as puppies they demolished:shoes, chair legs, dresser base !
Also had lurcher (greyhound/collie) - best temperament ever. Not always in your face like a lab, but still protective to the kids when necessary.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Admittedly I am biased but I'd like to speak up for Jack Russells. As said earlier, we had a JRT "Maid of Honour" (well sort of, my friend brought her terrier, Betty, to the Town Hall afterwards knowing that no event is complete, imho, without a terrier!).

We've got two of the little scamps - the pup now coming up to 3 months old. Providing they are well bred (and not bought off random people advertising on the internet) and kindly and consistently trained from the outset Jack Russells are fine little dogs. My older dog is absolutely sound with small children too but like any dog, supervised contact is recommended as is the need to train children how to behave around dogs. Many snappy/growly incidents are the result of children not recognising when a dog needs to be left, quietly alone and when it wants to play.

However, you need to put the work in with a Jack Russell. Right now my two are snoozing away in their baskets next to me. They will expect a good walk later on and they like to be kept occupied like all working breeds.

There are several breeds which have health issues so research the breed carefully. Labs are great dogs but have to be watched very carefully so far as weight is concerned since they are universally greedy sods. A friend has a dangerously obese labrador whose life will be limited if she doesn't stop feeding him human treats. Retrievers are beautiful but need training. They can be growly too. Springers are wonderful but utterly bonkers and if you get a cocker, get a working strain not a showing one. I adore whippets and lurchers but then I tend to prefer "country dogs".

Whatever you get, be prepared to put a lot of work in. Dogs don't train themselves. Nor can they be expected to occupy themselves for hours on end without company. You may get lucky in this respect but since an under-occupied and lonely dog is likely to amuse itself by being destructive, you can't just go to work and leave the dog alone. Especially if you get a rescue which may well come with "issues" from its former life.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Labs are the easiest to train - But my choice would be a Springer....they adore kids.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
We've got a miniature schnauzer, great with kids and don't smell or malt. Will piss you off with the yapping though, every visitor to the house must be yapped at upon entering the house for the first time, bend down and stroke her and she'll never bark at you again, weird. Also has a habit of barking at other dogs when being walked, then collapsing to the ground in fear if the other dog barks back. Standard terrier really.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
The most important thing is , how often will you be able to take them for a walk?

If the answer is "lots" then I would recommend Border Collies as extremely intelligent, loving and stunning dogs.

If the answer is a couple of times a day, I agree Labs and Golden Retrievers are great dogs for the same reasons. If you want something smaller, Border Terriers are a breed with exceptional natures suitable for families.

If you can only walk them once a day - It would be only fair to get a toy dog or similar breed.

I have had a border collie, and a lab mix.
Agree with the above. Border was outrageously intelligent, labmix sweet and devoted.
Differences were in eating - the border only ate what he needef and wasn't at all food anxious.
The lab walked away from aggressive animals where the collie didn't mind a battle (martial artist!)
Both recognized cat buddies, and ones that were not scared - but were up for a chase if one ran.

Only neg with lurchers can be that when playtime gets rough they are...smart enough to retire from the scene!

For myself, my next hairy beast will likely be another border.
The first was phenomenal - so I'd have to only take care about expectations.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here