Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heading a football can cause brain injury but which players have been hit hardest?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Latest MRI scans seems to suggest heading the ball repetitively can leave you with brain damage.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/heading-football-leaves-brain-injured-175237728.html#9gXnGJJ

terry-butcher-001-150x150.jpg

But which footballers have suffered most from, to much heading makes you thick?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Buckley got hit in the face 45 seconds before scoring a creamer against Blackpool. Maybe brain damage helps footballers.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Probably the players in the 1950s and before when it rained and added weight to the leather ball, not to mention the danger posed by the laces of the ball...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
"Leeds is a great club and it's been my home for years, even though I live in Middlesborough."
Jonathan Woodgate

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jeff Astle died aged 59 which was proved to be from a degenerative brain disease from damage from heading the ball. That was when footballs were heavy leather.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
"That's football, Mike, Northern Ireland have had several chances and haven't scored but England have had no chances and scored twice."
Trevor Brooking

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Heading a football can cause brain injury but which players have been hit har...

"That's football, Mike, Northern Ireland have had several chances and haven't scored but England have had no chances and scored twice."
Trevor Brooking

The 1980 FA Cup Final was the only time he ever headed the ball.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would say this is utter bollocks. defenders, who tend to head the ball most with the greated velocity/energy, tend to also be tactically astute and intelligent. (even if you might not like some).

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
i would say this is utter bollocks. defenders, who tend to head the ball most with the greated velocity/energy, tend to also be tactically astute and intelligent. (even if you might not like some).

Intelligence is one aspect of the brain not the crucial area in this case, it seems to be more based on memory.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If professional footballers were not stupid to begin with they could have trained to be brain surgeons and earned over £100,000 a year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The coroner's verdict was that he died from an industrial disease. He had a brain scan a year before he died which revealed injury to the front of the brain which had softened and shrunk alongside trauma to the brain similar to what a boxer would experience. Heading the old fashioned leather balls had the same effect as being punched in the head by someone wearing boxing gloves

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Latest MRI scans seems to suggest heading the ball repetitively can leave you with brain damage.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/heading-football-leaves-brain-injured-175237728.html#9gXnGJJ

terry-butcher-001-150x150.jpg

But which footballers have suffered most from, too much heading makes you thick?

I saw this a few years ago, in that ex-centre-halves were found to be 5% dimmer than midfielders in intelligence tests. Anyone who has played footy would have to agree that centre-halves usually start (and end) their careers 5% dimmer than midfielders :ohmy:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely not Liam Dickinson, that's for sure.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm hoping someone like Hiney can help me out here but I definitely recall an article in one of the club programmes from around 2006 where they did an article on a Brighton player who scored from something like a 30 yard header. That's not what stuck with me though - it was that in one match he went up for a challenge and clashed heads with an opposition player who died from injuries sustained. The article went on to say that our player then lost his appetite for the game after that.

Can anyone shed any further light? Any of our older fans recall the player?

Edit - worst header of a ball I've ever seen at our club - has to be Bruno, Appalling technique.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And the worst clash of heads I've ever seen was watching the West Brom v Ipswich FA Cup semi final on telly in 1978 as a nipper when Wile and Talbot collided. Look at this. He played on like that too.

article-2305318-1926FE00000005DC-988_470x672.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Agreed. Half the headers won by Guy Butters, he never jumped. It was all about body position and timing the header. That bloke was a black belt in the art of heading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here