Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Returned - Chl 4 Sunday (en français)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems that when one TV recommendation ends, another starts.

I've just watched first episode of The Returned, from Sunday.
It seems pretty good, and very freaky, with plenty going on.
The fact it's not American has me hoping it won't disappear up it's own bottom, a la Lost.

French subtitles really isn't my thing, if it's not yours either I wouldn't let that put you off, from at least giving it a go.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Maison Close series 2 starts on June 21st on Sky Arts 1. Series 1 was shown last year and catch up is available on Sky Go.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I watched it and thought it was superbly made. Can't wait for the next episode - it's only eight episodes so it's a supernatural replacement for Broadchurch in my mind

Flex Your Head

Loved it and the whole atmosphere of the show. Locations reminded me of a Twin Peaks a touch too. I've got a feeling the Dad could become the character we'll all end up rooting for.
The adverts though, they drove me nuts; a break every 12 minutes kills any suspense, tension or dramtic build up of any sort. I shall be recording the rest of the series so I can skip through the ads.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loved it and the whole atmosphere of the show. Locations reminded me of a Twin Peaks a touch too. I've got a feeling the Dad could become the character we'll all end up rooting for.
The adverts though, they drove me nuts; a break every 12 minutes kills any suspense, tension or dramtic build up of any sort. I shall be recording the rest of the series so I can skip through the ads.
Yeah it's how I watch all advert TV.
I guess it's a box set thing.

It also makes me think I ought to try harder with my French.
It's not something I'm any good at, but's it's the only foreign I have any hope in (re)learning.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Never understand why people have an issue with subtitles. Is reading them really that much of a chore?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never understand why people have an issue with subtitles. Is reading them really that much of a chore?
In my yoof I always found it stopped me getting properly immersed in what was on screen. (hopefully you know what I mean, cos even I think that's tw*tty).

My French is pretty shocking, but it's the only language I have a even the slightest knowledge of.
I guess I have enough of an ear to catch some words and inflections, which helps take my mind off all dat reading innit.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Typically French, slow acting, dark scenes and leaving a lot to the imagination, subtitles don't hinder the veiwing, but improve my French. Compulsive veiwing however, think I will watch the series, the only programme I watched on television on Sunday.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The spaces between the words make it for me - I like something that's happy to take its time. And I love Mogwai.

Me too although he hasn't done much since the Jungle Book.

Slow paced it might be, but there is a lot going on, so subtitles and translating help with the concentration. Will be interesting to see where this goes in the next few weeks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just seen the current trailer.

That little (freakazoid) lad is going to end up being the scariest of them all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whilst we're into nationality stereotyping, anyone else hoping for a spot of lesbian incest too?
No but I am intrigued by the Dad.
I wonder how the classic English stereotype of a grumpy, hang-dog, miserable, chain smoking, French man pans out on French TV.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's nothing new but it is superbly shot and very engaging. Think this will be a good un.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That little (freakazoid) lad is going to end up being the scariest of them all.

He uttered one word in episode 1, "Victor", repeating the fake name that the woman had given for him to her neighbour. Epic! (You have to seen it for the first sentence to make any sense).

I agree with you, Stat. He certainly scared the shite out of me....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here