Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any one had to use the services of a Party Wall Surveyor?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
If so, can you recommend anybody.

My neighbour is causing problems by building right up to my house and using my garage wall as a new wall for his project.

B*****d.:annoyed:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm sure there will be plenty of guidance on the internet plus other NSCers who will verify that there should be a written 'Party Wall Agreement' with you that is intended to protect your rights and records the condition of the boundary before any works commence, ensures it is not adversely affected by the works and that any remedial action / making good will be at their expense. Secondly your neighbour is liable for the bill if you choose to employ a surveyor of your choice.

Hopefully you will have been consulted if planning permission is required, although a lot is now allowed under 'permitted development rules'. Then there should be Building Control approval and inspections during the works with a final inspection and issue of a BC completion certificate that it was built in accordance with the Regs. Your surveyor will verify this to your satisfaction.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I could work out how to PM on Tapatalk, I'd PM you. My company can help. I'll get onto it later - or please PM me.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Do you have the deeds? Whose side is it?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
You can get an injunction for your neighbour to halt all works immediately, under the premise that he is in contravention of the Party Wall Act.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
You can get an injunction for your neighbour to halt all works immediately, under the premise that he is in contravention of the Party Wall Act.

I have recently built a extension up to the edge of my land Surely if my neighbour wanted to do he same, he'll have to ask permission to use my wall as a party wall. Am I correct?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I'm sure there will be plenty of guidance on the internet plus other NSCers who will verify that there should be a written 'Party Wall Agreement' with you that is intended to protect your rights and records the condition of the boundary before any works commence, ensures it is not adversely affected by the works and that any remedial action / making good will be at their expense. Secondly your neighbour is liable for the bill if you choose to employ a surveyor of your choice.

Hopefully you will have been consulted if planning permission is required, although a lot is now allowed under 'permitted development rules'. Then there should be Building Control approval and inspections during the works with a final inspection and issue of a BC completion certificate that it was built in accordance with the Regs. Your surveyor will verify this to your satisfaction.

Not so, if its a conservatory there are no Building Regs required, so no completion certificate also.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Do you have the deeds? Whose side is it?

Doesn't matter, he is not allowed to join onto your property with out permission and/or a Party Wall agreement

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Would a Party Wall agreement be required for a conservatory? Could affect the integrity of the boundary and therefore shouldn't the neighbour's rights should be afforded similar protection?

See post 9

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Talk to the Building Contol for the area. Also please note that all costs for the Party Wall Serveyor will be paid for by the person doing the work.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have recently built a extension up to the edge of my land Surely if my neighbour wanted to do he same, he'll have to ask permission to use my wall as a party wall. Am I correct?

Correct. The right and proper thing for you to have done was to approach the neighbour at that point and give your neighbour the right to contribute some of the cost of that wall, so he could use it in the future and you have your compensation in first.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I recall going through the Party Wall Agreement process about 10 years ago for an extension we wanted to build up to a neighbouring boundary and at first thought it was a pain and added to the cost and time for the project, but rapidly concluded it was a good thing.

We had a rather eccentric neighbour and as it turned they tried to claim that the party wall had been damaged by our building work but their own Surveyor (who we paid for of course) corrected them. It would have been very handy if a subsequent problem had occurred (never did). End of.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Correct. The right and proper thing for you to have done was to approach the neighbour at that point and give your neighbour the right to contribute some of the cost of that wall, so he could use it in the future and you have your compensation in first.
Thanks. Put my mind at rest as there's no way I'd let them use the wall due to noise..

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Not so, if its a conservatory there are no Building Regs required, so no completion certificate also.

Actually, you may need building regs for a conservatory. The house I bought recently, the sale was held up because the conservatory had planning but no building regs.

I had a Party Wall issue about 6 years ago, and got the neighbour to pay for my surveyor's bill. They also had to stop work as they hadn't served the proper notice. I also got them to agree to only doing works between certain hours, so my tenants were not inconvenienced by the noise. Also the cheeky ***ers were building something completely different to what they'd put on the original elevation plans.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Thanks. Put my mind at rest as there's no way I'd let them use the wall due to noise..

So you have built your wall on the're boundary (and yours) so is now a party wall as it divides the boundary between you and your neighbour and you wouldn't let them build to it although you have ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here