Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US Open Golf 2013 - Merion

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
The US Open is just round the corner and this one won't be a bombers paradise as its less than 7000 yards and on a very small plot of land and the range and locker rooms are a mile away on its sister course. The course will favour players who can keep it on the narrow fairways, find the greens and more importantly sink everything less than 8 feet on lightning quick greens.

Here's my picks for the week:
My main bet is on Graeme McDowell who fits the bill perfectly - former US Open winner, in decent form, can grind it out and sink those clutch putts when it matters. I got 33/1 last week but the 25/1 available now is still decent value.
Jim Furyk is another who will be suited down to the ground and is available at 46 on Betfair.
Steve Stricker turns out less often these days but is the best wedge player in the game and must be included at 50/1.
Booooo Weekley has had a decent season and is one of the straightest drivers on tour and finds greens in regulation for fun. 100/1 is too big for him.
Bill Haas has been knocking on the door and he's due for a big run in a major soon and this could be his turn at 80/1.
I've had other smaller plays on Phil Mickelson (27), Zach Johnson (110) and an ante post play in January on Brandt Snedeker at 60/1.

Can't be having any of our under priced lot (Westwood, Donald, Rose, Poulter) as they just blow their arses when in contention. McIlroy can't keep his drives in the same county at the moment and Tiger won't get away with his wayward driving round here but he wont be using the driver much but I think his next major win comes in The Open at Muirfield next month.

Other funnies about the course....
* Tee off on 1 and 11 for scorecard signing purposes.
* Notice to US Open Players: The locker room will be closed from 8am till 2pm each day so a turf mat can be used to make the 1st hole 400 yds!
* Bell tolls on 6th green every half hour
* Trains have to blast horn near to 18th tee
*No flags on the pins, just wicker baskets

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
6,996 Yard par 70 seems a fair old whack for me. Most courses are par 72, although a par 70 is not rare. Will be having a few bob on Nick Watney and Henrik Stenson e/w. But Tiger would have won the Masters barring the controversy, then won the players at Sawgrass. He is going to be right there come Sunday night, without a doubt.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Westwood tee to green is amongst the best, one of the most accurate drivers around and a top ball striker from the fairway. His short game & putting is still his weakness though so a huge amount will depend on how he putts.

Donald has been on poor form but the shorter course could suit him as he's not the longest and can get bullied by longer courses; his short irons and putting in particular are superb so if he puts himself in the fairways and gives himself a chance, you never know.

That said I don't think the English boys will do it, you have to doubt their mental frailty in the big events. Rory will miss the cut the way he's playing, and the likes of Bubba and Phil spray it about too much off the tee and rely on their scrambling, which you just can't do at Merion. Tiger will probably take irons off a lot of tees as he has done before, and if the course is soft he could tear it to shreds.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I haven't been watching the tour for a few weeks, at the moment I would fancy any one of Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott or Jason Day to be up there unless they are horribly out of form.

Could Manassero cause a shock? He's in great form at the moment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully Justin Rose will finally bloom

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lots of flooding around there at the moment. They may have to swap some holes with the course next door.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
At least I'll have something to watch for the next few days. Daytime TV leaves a lot to be desired.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Michael Thompson
Rickie Fowler
Padraig Harrington
Angel Cabrera
Kevin Chappell
Morgan Hoffman
Jaco Van Zyl
:moo: