Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Picture of Alex Dawson standing one arm raised having just scored

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am sure i remember a picture of Alex Dawson, at the Goldstone standing one arm raised, having just scored. Has anyone seen/got this picture or am i going senile ?

And, as a follow up, how could i go about getting this put on the wall in the north stand concourse ? (ideally, where i normally stand with my pie and pint :drink: )

No copyright this time, OK?

Attachments

• Alex Dawson #2.jpg
    Alex Dawson #2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,483

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Is there one of an opposition goalie lying prostrate and tangled up in the net after an Alex "ooh ooh" shoulder barge!

I was there in the North Stand . Eater Monday game against Reading . I think 'shoulder barged' is being polite. I think he 'headed' the keeper into the net !!!! One of the funniest things ive witnessed in football. Great thing was...the keeper just got up, dusted himself down , and carried on. Could you imagine what would happen now, if something like that happened ! It was a priceless moment .

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The great follow on from Bobby Smith...last I heard of Alex was running a youth team near Kettering....he did'nt get his boxers nose for nothing....one tough cookie...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I loved Alex Dawson. And I love the NSC name - Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo!.

I remember one wet evening game the goalie had the ball in his hands. Dawson was in front blocking (as he did) when he must have had a rush of blood and he launched himself head first at the ball in the keepers arms. The keeper stepped aside and Dawson went sliding along the turf.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember Alex with a diving header against Reading on a freezing cold, sleety night when the ball was barely a foot off the ground. Old school who would stick their nut on it wherever the ball was. Between him and Kit as to who I became in the school playground on the Monday morning.

Ps... Whatever happened to the diving header ?

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
' The Black Prince ' is saluting a fantastic goal he got in front of the North Stand. The ball came in from the left wing and it was slightly behind him. Incredibly, he flicked it with his heel, from behind him and straight into the corner of the net. I was standing on the East Terrace, almost in line and although it looked simple at the time, it was an amazing bit of skill.
The term ' old fashioned centre-forward ' was invented for Alex Dawson. Rugged in appearance, he was like a battering ram. You felt sorry for the keeper when big Al was hanging in the air, waiting for the ball. You just knew the keeper was going to come off second best. He either ended in a crumpled heap, lying in the back of the net or wrapped round the post.
He was a Busby Babe and in the aftermath of Munich suddenly found himself in United's patched up side. He played for Preston in the 1964 Cup Final ( Nobby Lawton was captain ) and scored in the 2-3 defeat at the hands of West Ham.
I went to Crawley for a Sussex Senior Cup Final. Alex was playing for a largely BHA reserve team. After missing a chance, a home supporter gave him some fearful stick, doubting his parentage and stating what a useless pile of manure he was.
Big Al walked two or three paces toward the fan. I was right there and it was a terrifying sight. Battle scared, broken nose and menacing like nothing you've ever seen. The crowd fell stony silent. The Crawley fan must have relieved himself of all bodily fluid.
He looked the fan in the eye and winked. Thats all, just winked. Thats all he needed to do.
One of my favourites...Big Al.....hope he's well and looking after himself.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thinking back to the day, most teams had a bruiser up front didn't they ? Not quite like our Alex maybe but I can remember quite a few who could put it about. Andy Lockhead was a lump if I remember rightly.

' The Black Prince ' is saluting a fantastic goal he got in front of the North Stand. The ball came in from the left wing and it was slightly behind him. Incredibly, he flicked it with his heel, from behind him and straight into the corner of the net. I was standing on the East Terrace, almost in line and although it looked simple at the time, it was an amazing bit of skill.
The term ' old fashioned centre-forward ' was invented for Alex Dawson. Rugged in appearance, he was like a battering ram. You felt sorry for the keeper when big Al was hanging in the air, waiting for the ball. You just knew the keeper was going to come off second best. He either ended in a crumpled heap, lying in the back of the net or wrapped round the post.
He was a Busby Babe and in the aftermath of Munich suddenly found himself in United's patched up side. He played for Preston in the 1964 Cup Final ( Nobby Lawton was captain ) and scored in the 2-3 defeat at the hands of West Ham.
I went to Crawley for a Sussex Senior Cup Final. Alex was playing for a largely BHA reserve team. After missing a chance, a home supporter gave him some fearful stick, doubting his parentage and stating what a useless pile of manure he was.
Big Al walked two or three paces toward the fan. I was right there and it was a terrifying sight. Battle scared, broken nose and menacing like nothing you've ever seen. The crowd fell stony silent. The Crawley fan must have relieved himself of all bodily fluid.
He looked the fan in the eye and winked. Thats all, just winked. Thats all he needed to do.
One of my favourites...Big Al.....hope he's well and looking after himself.

And he started off as a winger at Man Utd - can you believe it - and is still the only player to score a hat-trick in an FAC semi-final.
Gary Sprake says in his autobiography that Dawson was the most fearsome player he ever came up against.
I remember him scoring with a diving header from the penalty spot vs The Gas at Eastville and following that up with a side-on volley from about the same distance to give us a 2-0 win - and all this with a pulled hamstring. He and Alun Duffy were big drinking pals which didn't really help their weight or careers at BHA.

I remember Alex with a diving header against Reading on a freezing cold, sleety night when the ball was barely a foot off the ground. Old school who would stick their nut on it wherever the ball was. Between him and Kit as to who I became in the school playground on the Monday morning.

Ps... Whatever happened to the diving header ?

Ulloa v Arsenal??

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ha! Alan Duffy,probably scored the best goal ever at the Goldstone,yes I know it's a matter of choice but his goal really stood out,he took the ball over the halfway line took a couple of steps, and hit a screamer into the top right hand corner of the South goal...the goalie was frozen in time and did'nt move,the buzz in the crowd was still going on after the opposition had kicked off. Happy days...rough,tough football.

el punal

Whilst on the Alex Dawson theme I was wondering if anyone could shed any more light on the following story relalated to me by a friend of mine:

Back in 1958 Alex Dawson was one of the junior players in Matt Busby's Man.Utd. team. During their European Cup exploits several junior/fringe players would accompany the first team on the away leg as cover for any senior player who was unable to play.

Prior to United's fateful trip to play Red Star Belgrade in Feb.1958, Alex was selected to travel as one of the reserves. He, however, had picked up a minor injury and was informed at the last moment that he would not be flying with the rest of the team.

As history records, following the Red Star match the tragic event of the Munich air crash took place. Fate certainly deals a fortunate hand.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
Ha! Alan Duffy,probably scored the best goal ever at the Goldstone,yes I know it's a matter of choice but his goal really stood out,he took the ball over the halfway line took a couple of steps, and hit a screamer into the top right hand corner of the South goal...the goalie was frozen in time and did'nt move,the buzz in the crowd was still going on after the opposition had kicked off. Happy days...rough,tough football.

I remember that match! I just cannot recall who it was against... and whatever happened to Alan 'sideburns' Duffy?

Attachments

• duffyandnapier.jpg
    duffyandnapier.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 116
  • duffyandnapier.jpg
    duffyandnapier.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I remember that match! I just cannot recall who it was against... and whatever happened to Alan 'sideburns' Duffy?

When I was researching his career, I put this together as an entry for 1970/71:

Alan Duffy
Forward. Born West Stanley, Co. Durham. Age 20 (until 20 Dec '70). Stocky striker with a robust style who joined Brighton in January 1970 from Newcastle for £10,000. Described by a BBC radio commentator as a 'square little man - an oddity', yet had a sensational debut, appearing to be the Third Division answer to George Best by beating two Bradford players and smashing a ferocious shot in off the crossbar. Something of a cult hero to the North Stand. However, weight issues and injury woes, starting with a thigh problem on the opening day, marred his 1970/71 campaign. He made just fourteen League appearances. Infuriated the Albion boss, players and crowd in the goalless draw with Preston in February 1971 when he blasted a penalty against the bar that Kit Napier was preparing to take! Grabbed both second-half goals as Albion overturned a 1-2 deficit against Bradford in April, his only goals of the season.

You can read other profiles and pictures at http://www.seagulls.tv/1970s/1970-71/index.html

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Few BHA players have ever made such a stunning debut. It was only 10-15 minutes into the game and he hit the shot with such ferocity that the ball crashed down from the underside of the crossbar, shot up and hit the underside again before finding its way into the net. The bar was still shaking when the players ran back to the centre-circle. I was on the East Terrace and fans spent the whole game talking about it.
It was similar to lopez's free-kick v Palace but further out and hit with much more power.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here