Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squeezing players wages

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
We have all been made very aware of the club's debt and the consequences of FFP. We also know that Mr. Barber is attempting to squeeze every penny he can out of supporters whilst cutting expenses and "restructuring" club staffing levels.

However the largest (by far) cost to the club is players wages. I've seen no reference to trying to reduce these. I'd have thought this would have been a priority for us (and all championship clubs).

After every penny has been gouged and cost slashed, players wages will be all thats left to reduce. Are our club (and others) addressing this and if so how?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't the wage bill that is so high (14m) cover all staff employed by the club, meaning the rumoured restructuring would be reducing that even without player wages being touched?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
pay peanuts, get monkeys is a general truism in most walks of life and certainly in football = not going to happen

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Of course. But I mean of the nature - 2011 Decent left back £5000 a week, 2014 Decent left back £4000 a week.

Paying players less not having less players.

I would hope that this is something that will happen over time, but it probably won't happen to a large degree until FFP comes into effect and clubs that do not adhere start getting penalised.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
pay peanuts, get monkeys is a general truism in most walks of life and certainly in football = not going to happen

But if all clubs are affected by FFP then surely it will drive wages down across the league. The players will get the same wage differentials but with lower absolutes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Get DK back to negotiate the deals. Wages topped up by tanks of petrol every month could still be a winner

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
But if all clubs are affected by FFP then surely it will drive wages down across the league. The players will get the same wage differentials but with lower absolutes.

That is the theory - we will have to see if it works! It must have some effect. Will be also interesting to see how much, if at all, it effects payments by clubs to agents.

If it does not work and clubs are still spending way too much, the rules will be tightened or alternatives put in place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is the theory - we will have to see if it works! It must have some effect. Will be also interesting to see how much, if at all, it effects payments by clubs to agents.

If it does not work and clubs are still spending way too much, the rules will be tightened or alternatives put in place.

I think reducing costs to agents is a must and would surely be easier? I am still shocked that the Albion paid £65k to an agent for the free agent Darren Curries all those years back.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm pretty sure that any new contract offered has to be equal or better than a players existing contract at the club. That could be the reason why AEA has allegedly been offered a years extension on the same terms*. It could be quite justifiably argued that AEA has improved since signing his last contract, and is now an international, so should have been in line for a pay rise, but the fact that he has been offered the same money could mean that the wages are beginning to be reined in.

*I think I read that in the Argus.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would have thought it is more about reigning in the wages of the other staff so that we can maintain a team to push for promotion. TB knows that to get any of his money back, we need to be in the premier league and whilst that doesn't mean advocating gambling on players, reducing the wages and the attractiveness of coming here will diminish any chance of getting back all the while those coming down have parachute payments.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm pretty sure that any new contract offered has to be equal or better than a players existing contract at the club. That could be the reason why AEA has allegedly been offered a years extension on the same terms*. It could be quite justifiably argued that AEA has improved since signing his last contract, and is now an international, so should have been in line for a pay rise, but the fact that he has been offered the same money could mean that the wages are beginning to be reined in.

*I think I read that in the Argus.

It's dictated by the market. AEA is worth whatever a club is prepared to pay him. BHA will have offered him the the lowest salary that they think they can get him to stay for, taking into account that he might get better offers, but that he's not irreplaceable so we can risk going in on the low end of the scale.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
One thing I have wondered about Gus's little hissy fit is that it's almost as though he assumes that we are the only team tightening its belt? I assume that many other clubs in the Championship are going to have to make similar hard choices so who's to say if we have reached "our roof" yet?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's dictated by the market. AEA is worth whatever a club is prepared to pay him. BHA will have offered him the the lowest salary that they think they can get him to stay for, taking into account that he might get better offers, but that he's not irreplaceable so we can risk going in on the low end of the scale.
They've offered him the lowest salary that it was possible to offer by Football League rules. I can see why he might be hesitant to sign again, although I understand why the club has done it (tightening the purse strings).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
They've offered him the lowest salary that it was possible to offer by Football League rules. I can see why he might be hesitant to sign again, although I understand why the club has done it (tightening the purse strings).

Is it a Football League rule that the club has to offer an equal or better contract? If so, that rule has to be done away with to help FFP to take effect, surely?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One thing I have wondered about Gus's little hissy fit is that it's almost as though he assumes that we are the only team tightening its belt? I assume that many other clubs in the Championship are going to have to make similar hard choices so who's to say if we have reached "our roof" yet?
It's possible that many clubs will look at a 'sh1t or bust' approach to salaries with an administration option available to them. Especially as administration seems to assist some clubs achieve their dreams.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Is it a Football League rule that the club has to offer an equal or better contract? If so, that rule has to be done away with to help FFP to take effect, surely?
You'd have thought so, although the PFA might have a few things to say about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here