Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Pactum serva The Merry Prankster's Avatar

Squeezing players wages

0 Not allowed!
    We have all been made very aware of the club's debt and the consequences of FFP. We also know that Mr. Barber is attempting to squeeze every penny he can out of supporters whilst cutting expenses and "restructuring" club staffing levels.

However the largest (by far) cost to the club is players wages. I've seen no reference to trying to reduce these. I'd have thought this would have been a priority for us (and all championship clubs).

After every penny has been gouged and cost slashed, players wages will be all thats left to reduce. Are our club (and others) addressing this and if so how?
    Half measures availed us nothing.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Merry Prankster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've seen no reference to trying to reduce these.
      Surely releasing a load of players including Vicente would have reduced the wage bill significantly?
      Pactum serva The Merry Prankster's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ElectricNaz View Post
      Surely releasing a load of players including Vicente would have reduced the wage bill significantly?
      Of course. But I mean of the nature - 2011 Decent left back £5000 a week, 2014 Decent left back £4000 a week.

Paying players less not having less players.
      Half measures availed us nothing.
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      Doesn't the wage bill that is so high (14m) cover all staff employed by the club, meaning the rumoured restructuring would be reducing that even without player wages being touched?
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more
      Members
      somewhere between Worcestershire, Somerset or Amsterdam

0 Not allowed!
      pay peanuts, get monkeys is a general truism in most walks of life and certainly in football = not going to happen
      1959/60 - 2018/19
      60 seasons following the Albion

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Merry Prankster View Post
      Of course. But I mean of the nature - 2011 Decent left back £5000 a week, 2014 Decent left back £4000 a week.

Paying players less not having less players.
      I would hope that this is something that will happen over time, but it probably won't happen to a large degree until FFP comes into effect and clubs that do not adhere start getting penalised.
      Sanibona!!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by severnside gull View Post
      pay peanuts, get monkeys is a general truism in most walks of life and certainly in football = not going to happen
      But if all clubs are affected by FFP then surely it will drive wages down across the league. The players will get the same wage differentials but with lower absolutes.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Get DK back to negotiate the deals. Wages topped up by tanks of petrol every month could still be a winner
      Winners never quit and quitters never win -Vince Lombardi

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      But if all clubs are affected by FFP then surely it will drive wages down across the league. The players will get the same wage differentials but with lower absolutes.
      That is the theory - we will have to see if it works! It must have some effect. Will be also interesting to see how much, if at all, it effects payments by clubs to agents.

If it does not work and clubs are still spending way too much, the rules will be tightened or alternatives put in place.
      Sanibona!!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by KZNSeagull View Post
      That is the theory - we will have to see if it works! It must have some effect. Will be also interesting to see how much, if at all, it effects payments by clubs to agents.

If it does not work and clubs are still spending way too much, the rules will be tightened or alternatives put in place.
      I think reducing costs to agents is a must and would surely be easier? I am still shocked that the Albion paid £65k to an agent for the free agent Darren Curries all those years back.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."