Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet a "big, big fan of Mourinho"

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not quite what you are saying.

I'm a big fan of beach ball breasted 80's adult film star Sarah Young, but it doesn't mean she is going to make he her number 2.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Argh fed up of Gus touting himself around to be YET another person's boyfriend etc etc

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree, but will eye-gouging Mourinho will stick to highest level staff, rather than championship level Poyet.

You realise I was taking the piss out of people who think Gus is constantly touting, rather than just answering questions, right?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You realise I was taking the piss out of people who think Gus is constantly touting, rather than just answering questions, right?

Naïve, just because you've been asked if you like someone else's girlfriend you don't have to reply that you'd like to **** her, even if you would.

Even worse if you do it every time you are asked and about every better looking girl than you have. Not only disrespectful to your current girlfriend but totally unnecessary.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Good grief I fail to see anything wrong with what he has said in this.

"Chelsea legend Gus Poyet has backed Jose Mourinho to be a huge hit as the Portuguese boss prepares to get his second stint as Blues boss underway.

Football folklore suggests a manager should never return to a club after a successful first spell at the helm, but Poyet believes Mourinho will prove that notion wrong by storming to success at Stamford Bridge a second time around.

"I'm a big, big fan of Jose and I think it's going to be good," states Poyet in the Daily Mirror. "I don't know why people are being so negative. It's going to be fantastic.

"People think that the second time around it's never as good, but I think it will be because he's got the personality, the knowledge and the fans love him. Jose will bring something special to the team.

"Everything is in place for him to have a good few years at the club. He's unique and he brings plenty into the equation. He always has an opinion, he's very honest and people like that. He's a winner."

Poyet would not be drawn on his own future, as he remains in limbo after being suspended by Brighton following his side's defeat in the Championship Play-Off semi-finals last month.

As for Mourinho, he will face a packed media conference at Stamford Bridge on Monday afternoon at 1.30 (GMT).

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/211639.html#LMX8VQDxWWdcxuD5.99 "

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

"Chelsea legend Gus Poyet has backed Jose Mourinho to be a huge hit as the Portuguese boss prepares to get his second stint as Blues boss underway.

Football folklore suggests a manager should never return to a club after a successful first spell at the helm, but Poyet believes Mourinho will prove that notion wrong by storming to success at Stamford Bridge a second time around.

"I'm a big, big fan of Jose and I think it's going to be good," states Poyet in the Daily Mirror. "I don't know why people are being so negative. It's going to be fantastic.

"People think that the second time around it's never as good, but I think it will be because he's got the personality, the knowledge and the fans love him. Jose will bring something special to the team.

"Everything is in place for him to have a good few years at the club. He's unique and he brings plenty into the equation. He always has an opinion, he's very honest and people like that. He's a winner."

Poyet would not be drawn on his own future, as he remains in limbo after being suspended by Brighton following his side's defeat in the Championship Play-Off semi-finals last month.

As for Mourinho, he will face a packed media conference at Stamford Bridge on Monday afternoon at 1.30 (GMT).

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/211639.html#LMX8VQDxWWdcxuD5.99 "

Totally agree - some people on here are paranoid and Gus is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They missed a trick not asking him if he'd like to manage Chelsea some day.

Probably only because asking that question when they discussing a mega manager who has won just about everything in the game and has only just returned would seem a bit daft, given Gus achievements in comparison. They'll be back asking him after a few Chelsea defeats no doubt.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Probably only because asking that question when they discussing a mega manager who has won just about everything in the game and has only just returned would seem a bit daft, given Gus achievements in comparison. They'll be back asking him after a few Chelsea defeats no doubt.

Perhaps they could have cheekily asked him "And is he the sort of man you could work with?" ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I merely thought it interesting that Gus would be quite so effusive. I don't have a problem with what he said either. Given that it looks like all the prem no1 jobs are taken for a while at least, if GP does leave us, he'd have the choice of a No1 job elsewhere in the Championship, a no1 in another country (spain?) or a no2 in the EPL. No2 at a top 4 club like, say, Chelsea where he has a long and positive track record, where he'd get CL football and a masshooive budget to play with under Jose doesn't sound like too bad an option for a couple of years. S'all.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps they could have cheekily asked him "And is he the sort of man you could work with?" ?

good point, and if the answer was even vaguely in the affirmative, followed up with "would you consider it if things don't work out at Brighton for you" :wink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

"He always has an opinion, he's very honest and people like that."

Until you get suspended, then suddenly your honesty is lambasted and exaggerated as rants and touting yourself for other jobs.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Until you get suspended, then suddenly your honesty is lambasted and exaggerated as rants and touting yourself for other jobs.

Could have sworn those accusations were levelled YEARS before the suspensions, in fact quite possibly in his 1st year here?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Could have sworn those accusations were levelled YEARS before the suspensions, in fact quite possibly in his 1st year here?

Not to the degree they have been the last couple of weeks. Previously any comments about other jobs have been played down as what they are - honest answers to questions, with only the the most sensitive/inherently negative/trolling moaners trying to make something out of them and being roundly shouted down.

Now people present these things as if every time he answered one he was begging a club to come and rescue him from his hell. The comments about budgets previously presented as reducing expectation, showing how well the club is doing despite its limitations, now they are rants, offensive attacks on the club's very fibre.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
True.
To think it was only 15 months ago that he won the Outstanding Managerial Achievement award.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here