Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Dwyer denies having unsafe sex with unsuspecting strangers.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10472916.Brighton_Pride_ambassador_denies_unsafe_sex_claims/?ref=mr

A gay campaigner who is HIV positive has denied having unsafe sex with unsuspecting strangers.

Danny Dwyer is Brighton Pride’s first ever ambassador and has been chosen to march at the front of this year’s parade.

He founded the Bear Patrol, the city’s largest LGBT social networking group, and is a major fundraiser for Sussex Beacon, an HIV and AIDS charity that promotes safe sex.

However, he has been advertising himself for casual encounters with gay strangers on a website where “no condoms are allowed”.

On another profile, which has since been deleted, he revealed he only has protected sex “sometimes”.

Mr Dwyer, who was diagnosed with HIV five years ago, insisted he always told prospective partners about his disease and said he was “not a safe sex campaigner”.

He said: “I do have HIV but it’s at a low level, although I still need to use condoms.

“I’m always frank with people. That’s their choice at the end of the day.

"I do practise safe sex when I can, but we all use websites.”

Brighton and Hove has the highest prevalence of people with HIV outside of London.

Figures released last year suggest almost one in every 100 people aged 15 to 59 in the city is HIV positive.

A report published by the Health Protection Agency gave the city a diagnosed HIV prevalence rate of 7.6 per 1,000 people in this age group – but experts estimate that hundreds more are unaware that they are carrying the virus.

One HIV sufferer branded Mr Dwyer’s actions “irresponsible” but said partners also needed to take responsibility for their sexual health.

Michael, not his real name, said: “You can’t condone what he’s doing but at least he says he has been up front with people.

“I think someone who is a pillar of the gay community should stand up for safe sex because it is so important to stop the spread of HIV.

"The problem among some members of the community is a fairly relaxed attitude to this sort of thing.”

Jason Warriner, the clinical director at the HIV and AIDS charity Terrence Higgins Trust, said: “Everyone has a responsibility to take care of their sexual health and this includes having open and honest discussions about sex. The individual concerned has made HIV status clear to prospective partners on this website.

“Condoms remain the best way to protect yourself and your partner from sexually transmitted infection.”

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No wonder he walks like he's doing a Richard Gere tribute act in all those hoolie videos.

"Here I am with the Charles Street twinkies and they've got a score to settle with the Va-Va-Voom queens but I've just been told that there's a few old bears from the Bulldog who've been more than a little put out with liberties being taken on their manor. This could get spiteful, double spiteful and I'm not ashamed to say that my pooper is going like a goldfish's mouth"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here