Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exclusive: Paul Barber ANSWERS the questions every Brighton fan wanted to ask.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well, Mr Barber replied to my previously posted questions by about 3pm this afternoon. Only just checked my email or I would have got them up sooner.

Some of the questions are predictably avoiding the issue / no comment type responses, but as a whole Q&A it will no doubt interest a few people on here. A few key lines in there make interesting reading.

Paul Barber answers the question every Brighton fan wanted to ask

Great stuff Walt, Barber comes across as being as transparent as the situation allows him to be. Keep up the good work Walt!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Perhaps the heading to the thread should be

Exclusive: Paul Barber ANSWERS SOME of the questions every Brighton fan wanted to ask (But not the important ones).

Sorry Walt, but a quick scan down doesn't add anything that we didn't know, other than the same old answer on the membership scheme.

But I applaud your efforts anyway.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Errrr Answers what questions ??

Just going over old ground and confirming answers to questions that ave already been asked. Pointless

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Thanks for doing that, and kudos to you that he replies, but there is nothing interesting in his replies I'm afraid. Well, apart from saying that he knows of absolutely no reason why any fan would be against the proposed membership scheme :facepalm:

Just posted this on the previous thread:-

Fair play to PB for answering so quickly - how many other CEO's would do that on a Sunday afternoon - even if there may not be the full information some people are asking for.

And fair play to Walt for asking them in the first place.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It does say in the piece that he "sort of..." answers them. The best I can hope to get without any real clout behind me. I am just a bloke doing a blog, which makes it very difficult to demand fuller answers in the way The Argus could.

A few lines I thought were interesting were:

- "The unique culture and history of our club must always be remembered and respected (and is) but equally it cannot and should not be used as a barrier to change at a time when football is, once again, changing all around us – whether we all like it or not."

- The plans to introduce regular surveys of different fan groups and hold more regular meetings at the stadium for fans to be able to put their questions more openly and directly to key members of our staff.

- Pre-season/summer planning has "progressed without any delays since the season ended". In which case, how involved was Poyet going to be in this? Was the club already planning for this contingency before the shit hit the fan?

- The fact he talks to / reports to Tony Bloom on an almost daily basis. They seem very much a strongly cemented double-act now.

- David Burke is handling player recruitment, "As is normally the case at this and other times of the year." Does that suggest the Albion favour the more continental approach? Have all our signings over the last couple of season's actually been Poyet's choices? Hard to tell, but possible food for thought.

Sorry this Q&A does not have anything particularly ground-breaking, but I said I would put the replies on line regardless of how well he answered them.

Don't shoot the messenger...

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Again, perfectly reasonable answers considering the legal shackles he will be under. Even if some don't like his answers (and I can't find anything I disagree with in what he says) no one can dispute that he's maintaining a constant dialogue with fans, responding in detail with as much info as he can provide. But ultimately nothing new there sadly.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Well done Mr Barber. I can't imagine many of our previous execs being that forthcoming.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well done Walt excellent.

Inevitably Paul Barber would not answer Poyet related questions.

The reliance on David Burke is interesting as I still maintain that a new manager, surely will have his own thoughts re player personnel.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It does say in the piece that he "sort of..." answers them. The best I can hope to get without any real clout behind me. I am just a bloke doing a blog, which makes it very difficult to demand fuller answers in the way The Argus could.

A few lines I thought were interesting were:

- "The unique culture and history of our club must always be remembered and respected (and is) but equally it cannot and should not be used as a barrier to change at a time when football is, once again, changing all around us – whether we all like it or not."

- The plans to introduce regular surveys of different fan groups and hold more regular meetings at the stadium for fans to be able to put their questions more openly and directly to key members of our staff.

- Pre-season/summer planning has "progressed without any delays since the season ended". In which case, how involved was Poyet going to be in this? Was the club already planning for this contingency before the shit hit the fan?

- The fact he talks to / reports to Tony Bloom on an almost daily basis. They seem very much a strongly cemented double-act now.

- David Burke is handling player recruitment, "As is normally the case at this and other times of the year." Does that suggest the Albion favour the more continental approach? Have all our signings over the last couple of season's actually been Poyet's choices? Hard to tell, but possible food for thought.

Sorry this Q&A does not have anything particularly ground-breaking, but I said I would put the replies on line regardless of how well he answered them.

Don't shoot the messenger...

Andy Naylor isn't going to like it when he comes back from holiday and finds out he has some serious competition in the news gathering stakes.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Was disappointed not to get an answer about the time-frame of Poyet's suspension and when the club expects it to be concluded. But, as I said above, I am just a bloke writing a blog so can't carry the same demand for answers that The Argus can.

Also, I agreed to print the responses in full, otherwise the information could have been written in the style of stories. Therefore a quick non-response about a club deadline would become "Brighton have refused to say when they expect the on-going saga over Gus Poyet's suspension to be concluded, leading to fears among supporters it could drag on and derail pre-season plans..." type piece.

The most frustrating aspect is that I doubt very much many of the actual details will come to light in public. Any agreement between the club and Poyet is likely to include a gagging order type aspect I would imagine to protect both party's integrity.

I think the most interesting aspect for fans would be confirmation of WHEN the alleged breaches of contract took place because I don't think all the dates would necessarily be what people expect...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Am I the only one who read into that, upson is not on his way here?

The other question I would have asked is " regarding the academy and the fact that we fail to play even the most outstanding of youngsters, Forster-caskey....is the academy there to be seen as a conveyor belt whe we produce decent( hopefully) young players to be sold on as a revenue stream?"

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did he really say we have hundreds of thousands of fans?

If you include all those who watch the live televised games that are shown around the world as a casual fan then the statement could be accurate.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Congrats Walt, good job and congrats Paul Barber you clearly have respect for the fans by the way in which you are prepared to answer the questions, as much as you can, and the fact that do so within a very short timeframe, thank you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
saying that he knows of absolutely no reason why any fan would be against the proposed membership scheme :facepalm:

This line jumped out at me as well.

I am really starting to find his language annoying; "connect" and "interact" with the club. FFS people just want to support their club and go to bloody matches.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Was disappointed not to get an answer about the time-frame of Poyet's suspension and when the club expects it to be concluded. But, as I said above, I am just a bloke writing a blog so can't carry the same demand for answers that The Argus can.

Also, I agreed to print the responses in full, otherwise the information could have been written in the style of stories. Therefore a quick non-response about a club deadline would become "Brighton have refused to say when they expect the on-going saga over Gus Poyet's suspension to be concluded, leading to fears among supporters it could drag on and derail pre-season plans..." type piece.

The most frustrating aspect is that I doubt very much many of the actual details will come to light in public. Any agreement between the club and Poyet is likely to include a gagging order type aspect I would imagine to protect both party's integrity.

I think the most interesting aspect for fans would be confirmation of WHEN the alleged breaches of contract took place because I don't think all the dates would necessarily be what people expect...

Oh you tease.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here