Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Iain Banks

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Iain Banks lost his battle against cancer today.

I liked his books as Iain Banks, but loved the Sci-Fi books as Iain M Banks.

A sad loss at just 59.

Might dig out a few of the old classics again.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This makes me very sad. I've read all his 'straight' books, and a few of his SF ones - but I'm less of a fan of those, not my thing.

Genuinely one of my favourite authors. I recently finished Stonemouth, which was brilliant. Sad, sad, sad.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
yep sad stuff - thought Stonemouth was a real return to the glory days of Crow rd and Complicity

his atheism and fierce lefty stance was a huge influence on me as a teenager at a goddy posh school

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not a Sci Fi fan but have read most of his other stuff. The Wasp Factory is a big favourite of mine but I loved a lot of his books. RIP Iain, you'll be sadly missed.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
A fine writer and a nice bloke, he's left us far too soon. RIP.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Wasp Factory was a great debut. I also enjoyed Walking On Glass and The Bridge.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I must confess I have not read any of his books but I did see the tv version of The Crow Road. For some reason I did follow his postings after his diagnosis. I was rather touched by one piece which mentioned that after he announced to his fans he was ill he went on a holiday. Upon return he had an inbox full of messages from all manner of people about his writing and what it meant to people and how much he was loved. He (jokingly) wrote that one never gets to hear this normally as it tends to come after you have died and considered himself fortunate to find out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I must confess I have not read any of his books but I did see the tv version of The Crow Road. For some reason I did follow his postings after his diagnosis. I was rather touched by one piece which mentioned that after he announced to his fans he was ill he went on a holiday. Upon return he had an inbox full of messages from all manner of people about his writing and what it meant to people and how much he was loved. He (jokingly) wrote that one never gets to hear this normally as it tends to come after you have died and considered himself fortunate to find out.

Start with The Bridge, one of his earliest, or Stonemouth, his latest. Or The wasp Factory, obviously.

You'll want to read them all.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Wasp Factory is well worth reading. Was very popular when I was in Six Form at school. I did not really enjoy the SF stuff he did but that is probably due to the genre not being to my liking.

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
I definitely count the Bridge and Walking on Glass as 2 of my favourite books. Unfortunately the last Banks I read was Song of Stone which I would struggle to recommend!

Great writer gone far too soon.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It was a sad day when he announced he had terminal cancer with typical humour in April. Even sadder to see him succumb so soon since. A legend in the writing world. He was widely loved and will be sorely missed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wasp Factory is well worth reading. Was very popular when I was in Six Form at school. I did not really enjoy the SF stuff he did but that is probably due to the genre not being to my liking.

Start with The Bridge, one of his earliest, or Stonemouth, his latest. Or The wasp Factory, obviously.

You'll want to read them all.

Frau has just told me to read The Wasp Factory as well. Looks like I'll have to :smile:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Genuinely sad. I love the books of his that I have read.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I would add Espedair Street to the list of highly recommended reads.
I know many people are not so keen on sci-fi, but he created an extraordinary realm in the culture and some of the later works, were more like cracking adventure stories than full on sci-fi.

Steep Approach to Gabridale, was the only book he wrote I could not get on with.

He also wrote an interesting little book, based on whisky tasting and touring distilleries, which is worth seeking out.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Sad to see a talented writer go too soon.

Now hightened my concern over the scan Mrs Frogs is having on her gall bladder on Wednesday.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Iain Banks lost his battle against cancer today.

I liked his books as Iain Banks, but loved the Sci-Fi books as Iain M Banks.

A sad loss at just 59.

Might dig out a few of the old classics again.

RIP indeed, a great loss to my literrary world for sure. I too read and liked them all but preferred the Culture "Space Operas" myself, just loved them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here