Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A form of speculation I know, but what if.....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
We had beaten Palace and then Watford.

As it appears this dispute goes quite deep and back long before the play offs, would Gus have gone quietly after the initial euphoria of the Wembley victory?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No, I think whatever dispute there is between the club and Gus would have been papered over or resolved in those circumstances. The club would be more forgiving because of his achievement and Gus would have attained his aim of being a Premier League manager, which has always been his stated ambition. I personally think he would have been more than happy to manage us at that level, at least until someone like Spurs or Chelsea came in for him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think we would be in much the same position, other than the fact the club would not have suspended him, but the rift between Gus and someone at the club would still have been festering, and would have blown up at some point.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
From what I heard no matter what happened after the play-off home game he was going.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If he knew that as well does that explain a lot?

Possibly, someone told me around 45 minutes before the KO at CPFC at home he was leaving which confirmed what I had heard previously.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he would have stayed.

The opportunity to manage in the Premier League for a season at least would have been too much. Imagine, we even stay up, Gus is a hero, his stock rises further. Set's himself up for a big team.

From the club's perspective, the fans are elated. Can Paul Barber/Tony Bloom really risk a popularity war with Poyet when he is seen as a 'hero' by the vast majority. (Even in defeat and despite what he's allegedly done he is still held in high regard). Everyone would have been happy - even NSC.

However NSC would be in meltdown at the prospect of all the signings. Rumours of Iniesta, Puyol and Schweinsteiger....... etc

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think he would have stayed.

The opportunity to manage in the Premier League for a season at least would have been too much. Imagine, we even stay up, Gus is a hero, his stock rises further. Set's himself up for a big team.

From the club's perspective, the fans are elated. Can Paul Barber/Tony Bloom really risk a popularity war with Poyet when he is seen as a 'hero' by the vast majority. (Even in defeat and despite what he's allegedly done he is still held in high regard). Everyone would have been happy - even NSC.

However NSC would be in meltdown at the prospect of all the signings. Rumours of Iniesta, Puyol and Schweinsteiger....... etc

There was a precedent, when Bloom took over as chairman, Russell Slade was manager. Tony wanted to get another manager in, but Slade was so popular after the Great Escape, that Bloom allowed him to start the 09/10 season.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Are you suggesting it wasn't his decision? If so that makes it FAR more interesting

Puts a whole new spin on things. If the club wanted him out anyway, that could explain why he seemed a little disengaged on the night (reflected perhaps in the lacklustre performance of the players) - as well as his after-match comments.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting question.

If that had happened, personally I think he would have been a lot closer to challenging Martinez for the Everton job, he would have been higher up their list for starters, and the big question mark Poyet has placed over himself with this current shabby episode wouldn't have been there.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Peter Taylor walked after he took us up so the precedent was there and if Salde hadn't have made such a massive f**k up at the start of the 09/10 season Poyet would have never have been sighted here

We were lucky Slade ballsed it up at the beginning of the season , another 6 weeks or so of him in the job and a sacking in the new year could have seen us relegated to League 2 as there would have been too many points to make up and avoid the drop.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I believe Gus Poyet was going whatever happened in that semi final.

Is the right answer from what I had heard as well, the situation was irretrievable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here