Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where does responsibility for the last 3/4 years success lie ?

Who's responsible for our success ?

• 100% Gus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90% Gus 10% Club

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 80% Gus 20% Club

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • 70% Gus 30% Club

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • 60% Gus 40% Club

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • 50% Gus 50% Club

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • 40% Gus 60% Club

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • 30% Gus 70% Club

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • 20% Gus 80% Club

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 10% Gus 90% Club

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100% Club

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Given all the 'Gus is wonderful' / 'Any manager with TB's backing' arguments lately, where does everyone believe that the responsibility for our considerable success lie ?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
with TB's backing, Gus Poyet.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Club can only do so much, you need a quality manager to pull it all together.

Dec 29, 2011
70% Gus, I think a lesser manager would have got us promoted, but then stalled in the Championship at mid-table.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
100% Bloom. he appointed Gus, he funded the stadium. another manager with the same support would probably have done the same. this past seasons success has largly been down to the luck of a league that was as inconsistant as us. you can hide from the fact we had too many draws and there's the little problem of winning games we concede first goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Other clubs have shiny new stadia, like Hull, Derby, Leicester, Bolton etc but we achieved promotion whilst at Withdean and then were competing in the top ten of the Championship.
70% Gus and 30% club with TB contributing 29.99% of that 30%.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
100% Bloom. he appointed Gus, he funded the stadium. another manager with the same support would probably have done the same. this past seasons success has largly been down to the luck of a league that was as inconsistant as us. you can hide from the fact we had too many draws and there's the little problem of winning games we concede first goal.

According to most sources Gus has outperformed his budget in EVERY season with us, why would another manager with the same support probably overachieve as he has done? Strange logic.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Other clubs have shiny new stadia, like Hull, Derby, Leicester, Bolton etc but we achieved promotion whilst at Withdean and then were competing in the top ten of the Championship.
70% Gus and 30% club with TB contributing 29.99% of that 30%.

All four of which have had a spell in the premier league since moving into their new stadium!

According to most sources Gus has outperformed his budget in EVERY season with us, why would another manager with the same support probably overachieve as he has done? Strange logic.

Can you be a bit specific about your sources?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

This attitude really annoys me. How do you know that another manager would have achieved the same? It is just guesswork so you can slag Gus off.

I went for 50/50 as obviously without the ground and the backing of Tony Bloom none of this would have happened. However, Gus attracted a lot of these players here, got them playing fantastic football and, along with his coaching team, improved a lot of them. Anyone who thinks any manager would have achieved that is wrong and, sadly, may get a nasty surprise.

Remember, when Gus took over we were bottom 6 of League 1 despite spending a lot of money that summer on Tunnicliffe, Dickinson, Jake Wright and Bennett. Of those four, only Bennett played any real part in our promotion the next season. Without spending any money on transfer fees, Gus shored up our defence with Brezovan, Calderon and Painter and we finished mid table. We then improved each season after that so to dismiss his success as something anyone could have done is just ignorant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[SUP][/SUP]
Can you be a bit specific about your sources?

Not really, just comments on here from those ITK, comments from Gus where I'm sure Bloom would've been furious if Gus was lying about our budget and trying to taint Bloom. Also, the evidence of our eyes. First season in the Champ we had a squad of largely League One players - we were NOWHERE near 10th highest budget. Also the season we VIOLATED League One, Saints had players earning 3 to 4 times what ours were.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
. We then improved each season after that so to dismiss his success as something anyone could have done is just ignorant.

so no other manager could have done the same? thats ignorant too. its not a slag off at Gus, just i think he's held a little too high regard. the promotion season was down to him, he done very well first season in the championship. i just think that the position we found ourself at the end of the season flattered the overall performance. thats not to say its good football, just it has problems that anyone can see. if for example he'd given Buckley/Lua Lua different instruction in the 2nd playoff game we might have scored first and won. when wwe start turn games around or killing them off for a win, my opinion will change. maybe saying nothings down to Gus is too far, just thought we needed to liven this debate up :lolol:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Gus's football got us up from League One, and with the club's backing he has managed to turn us into a very strong Championship side. It wouldn't have been the same with a different club or manager.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Disappointed that there is no option to give some credit to my Lucky pants.
Mr Tony Bloom has been the major influence, partly because he appointed Gus. If Gus and the other two are goners, then Mr Tony Bloom will pick a good team to replace them, this is why I am not too worried yet about the outcome of the suspensions etc.
Gus is good not God.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here