Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could it just possibly be

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
That Gus knew in advance of the play off games, that he wasn't getting a budget to sign Bridge etc unless we got promotion
True that he could have put out a stronger team, and again to be fair if our chances were taken, before Palace scored, things would have been a whole lot rosier
However If the purse strings were pulled that tight denying Gus the opportunity to build a stronger team, perhaps in his usual,Gus type pig headed way he just massively over reacted
If this scenario took place, I don't blame him for losing the plot

I would hate to think that we would have
Such a tiny budget for this coming season
I fear a struggle ahead if we don't have the funds required to compete, for which ever Manager is in charge

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Having the budget strings tightened prior to the play offs should have given him a greater incentive to win!

We competed this year on a tight budget (compared to other clubs in the division). If football were all about money, P****e would not have been promoted. If they can do it, so can we.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Paul Barber has already said the budget will remain unchanged. I feel positive that had we been promoted more money would have been made available, I mean £60m etc, why wouldn't it?

The bottom line is, he is an employee of the club and paid very well in comparison to others to do a job. He should not be whinging about budgets etc..., and the fact that you've made the comment regarding team selection (though I'm not sure what he could have changed), says everything about how some supporters feel about him and perhaps what he is capable of.

Personally, whilst I think the experience with Gus has been fantastic, from Withdean to now and the football at times, (nobody can deny there haven't been shockers as well) has been incredible, it is time for both parties to move on.

Wherever Gus goes next, I suspect he will not come across as supportive a Chairman as Tony Bloom or potentially experience the same 'highs'. How many managers would have had the opportunity in playing a role in the development of a new stadium and training ground?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
That Gus knew in advance of the play off games, that he wasn't getting a budget to sign Bridge etc unless we got promotion
True that he could have put out a stronger team, and again to be fair if our chances were taken, before Palace scored, things would have been a whole lot rosier
However If the purse strings were pulled that tight denying Gus the opportunity to build a stronger team, perhaps in his usual,Gus type pig headed way he just massively over reacted
If this scenario took place, I don't blame him for losing the plot

I would hate to think that we would have
Such a tiny budget for this coming season
I fear a struggle ahead if we don't have the funds required to compete, for which ever Manager is in charge

Please grow up.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If that scenario did take place I would blame him if he reacted badly

He is meant to be a professional and should get on with his job regardless without 'losing the plot'

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What gets me about the whole 'we need a bigger budget' thing is that the person who did the most moaning was the one at the club who had the biggest influence over it :dunce:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Paul Barber has already said the budget will remain unchanged.

If that's the case looking at the players we signed last season I really don't think anybody can complain that we've got a small budget for the coming season.

that gus knew in advance of the play off games, that he wasn't getting a budget to sign bridge etc unless we got promotion
true that he could have put out a stronger team, and again to be fair if our chances were taken, before palace scored, things would have been a whole lot rosier
however if the purse strings were pulled that tight denying gus the opportunity to build a stronger team, perhaps in his usual,gus type pig headed way he just massively over reacted
if this scenario took place, i don't blame him for losing the plot

i would hate to think that we would have
such a tiny budget for this coming season
i fear a struggle ahead if we don't have the funds required to compete, for which ever manager is in charge

100% this! So he was getting ready to bail out without giving it everything for the most important few games for quite a while,well that's how it felt:blush:
Seemed happy to be linked with every club(bigger budget) on the hunt for a manager,UNDERSTAND HE IS AMBITIOUS BUT DIDN'T HELP THE GOOD SHIP ALBION HAVING IT SO PUBLIC.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
If that's the case looking at the players we signed last season I really don't think anybody can complain that we've got a small budget for the coming season.

Exactly, off the top of my head that ought to mean the wages for Bridge, Upson, Vicente, Dicker, Painter & Hammond are in the "unused" pot at the moment along with whatever transfer fees we paid for Dobbie, Ulloa & Crofts. Christ knows what will happen if Lopez/El Abd don't re-sign though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The bottom line is, he is an employee of the club and paid very well in comparison to others to do a job. He should not be whinging about budgets etc...,

So why do people want Harry Redknapp? Hasn't he been doing exactly the same thing at QPR?

if that's the case looking at the players we signed last season i really don't think anybody can complain that we've got a small budget for the coming season.

could look for a dean saunders £33:smile: danny wilson 40k:wink: steve penny 10k:blush: bobby z 100k:clap2: wardy 4k:wozza: NOT EASY FINDING THE DIAMONDS BUT IT CAN BE DONE EVEN IF THE COST IS A LITTLE MORE THAN YESTERYEAR.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The OP suggests 'I don't blame Gus for losing the plot'. I also cut Gus some slack for his comments in the heat of the moment immediately after the Palace game. However rather than leave a flat and negative feeling he could have tempered those with some positive stuff a few days later.

But what disappointed me was his conspicuous lack of passion on the touchline for the last 20 minutes of the play offs when he could/should have been inspiring our players to come back hard at Palace. That was really concerning and although recent events make me wonder if there was an underlying issue - maybe he had just peaked and had nothing else left in his managerial locker.

I do wonder if Gus's comments baffle Tony Bloom. Gus signed on knowing what resources were going to be at his disposal, and can hardly suggest that TB hasn't backed him on or off the pitch. Presumably Gus knows TB isn't going to bankrupt the club in a s**t or bust attempt to get into the Prem. It is one thing to be frustrated at not having more money, but not a good idea to repeatedly go on about it publicly or make unsubtle comments about managing other Clubs to the media. These are facts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The OP suggests 'I don't blame Gus for losing the plot'. I also cut Gus some slack for his comments in the heat of the moment immediately after the Palace game. However rather than leave a flat and negative feeling he could have tempered those with some positive stuff a few days later.

But what disappointed me was his conspicuous lack of passion on the touchline for the last 20 minutes of the play offs when he could/should have been inspiring our players to come back hard at Palace. That was really concerning and although recent events make me wonder if there was an underlying issue - maybe he had just peaked and had nothing else left in his managerial locker.

I do wonder if Gus's comments baffle Tony Bloom. Gus signed on knowing what resources were going to be at his disposal, and can hardly suggest that TB hasn't backed him on or off the pitch. Presumably Gus knows TB isn't going to bankrupt the club in a s**t or bust attempt to get into the Prem. It is one thing to be frustrated at not having more money, but not a good idea to repeatedly go on about it publicly or make unsubtle comments about managing other Clubs to the media. These are facts.

I got the impression that Gus & Tanno mentioned budgets to temper fans expectations rather than using emotional blackmail to the board. I know it's a cliche but the playoffs are a lottery and we could easily have gone ahead had Speroni not got a finger tip to Barnes shot into the bar. The players were as much to blame for the defeat on that Monday.
As for the season, we had a poor spell in December but from the new year we were in promotion form including April so I don't see any signs of giving up on us from March onwards.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
The budget may have been cut, we will never really know, but to suggest that you cant blame gus for losing the plot and maybe not focussing on the play off game, well I would if this were true. I would expect everyone to be fully focussed inspite of what may be happening behind the scenes. Hope this is unfounded

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why do people keep going on about the budget we signed Ulloa for a couple of million and then tried to sign Virgil the dutch fella for a 2.5 million all in January what short memories some have.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
we spent more on one transfer than Palace spent on their entire team, so in my opinion all this "small budget" talk is bollocks. Poyet has been using it as a get out of jail free card for ages.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Does money grow on tree's...

Albion got this far, now should we moan that barber is not risking the club going bust on a big spend up!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Why do people keep going on about the budget we signed Ulloa for a couple of million and then tried to sign Virgil the dutch fella for a 2.5 million all in January what short memories some have.

Between Ulloa, Dobbie & Crofts we must have spent at least £3m and as you say we bid for Virgil Van Thingy as well, We've got no shortage of budget I just got the impression that Gus had expensive tastes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here