Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player 'poaching' in kids football

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok, so the word 'poaching' is like a loaded question, hence why referendums are so dodgy, and it's clear by my use of that word what side of the argument I'm on. But I'm interested in people's experiences and opinions on this.

Anyone with any involvement in kids football (I'm talking grassroots level here, not Academies/development centres at pro clubs) will know of teams who like to 'cherry pick' their players and will, it seems, actively poach players from other clubs. I can fully understand kids wanting to play at a higher level, and so I'm aware there are countless scenarios and not all is as black and white as my title suggests. However, whenever I see or hear of it happening it always makes me feel a mixture of sadness and anger, especially when it's the same old clubs doing the 'poaching'. I wonder where the coaching and the satisfaction of developing players and seeing them grow comes for clubs that just pick kids that are already very good players. And I also just have this romantic notion of kids growing up playing football with their mates from their local area/school and trying to raise their game to beat teams from other areas. In my area alone and in the age group I'm familiar with there are at least a dozen or more good players playing for teams in other towns, and yet if they stayed here and played in the same club then they'd compete with any team from across the county no trouble at all.

Of course, the last sentence above begs the question as to which club in each town would house all the 'best players' when each town has numerous clubs. And wouldn't that be cherry picking in itself anyway? Which leads me onto what I understand to be the Dutch model. Towns have just one or two big clubs that house many teams and have excellent facilties compared to our own (grassroots facilities in this country are shameful for the most part). All kids from that area will play for the big clubs and all abilities can be catered for by allowing movement between the numerous teams at each age group, so the better players aren't stifled by a weak team and the weaker players get to play at a level they can also shine at. This solves the problem (if you perceive it to be one) of players going to/being poached by clubs from outside of their town to play at a higher level.

If you've stuck with my rambling thus far, I'd appreciate your thoughts and feelings on the matter. I know plenty on here are involved in kids football and can make a much more coherent argument in this debate than I've cobbled together here. Thanks.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My son is older now, but this was a real problem when he played youth football. Some of the club's had no shame at all.

I believe that it is more of a problem than you suggest. Coaches believe that winning is everything, even at Under nine or ten. This attitude (along with starting 11-a-side way too early) stymies the kid's progress. They don't need to develop, they're already the best in their age group.

The entire thing needs shaking up, changing, being brought out of the dark ages. But don't expect anything to happen any time soon.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is nothing new about this, happened when Junior played and still goes on as Mini plays (U16 next year).

What pissed me off was the offers of new bikes, football boots etc - it needs to be totally banned IMHO.

The sad thing is that youth football no longer has its roots in schools, as it did when (and where) I was a kid. School-based teams stand apart from the risks of poaching.

the sad thing is that youth football no longer has its roots in schools, as it did when (and where) i was a kid. School-based teams stand apart from the risks of poaching.

School sides seem to have very poor coaching even the schools reps sides seem to be a shambles,as for poaching this would be eased by a proper pyramid system in youth footie,if the teams playing were of a similar standard then moving clubs would not be so tempting.The sussex sunday u16 was a shambles with teams slipping off to other leagues or going u18 early so leaving div one weakened and the league 1 winners walked the league with decent opposition limited to just one other side.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There is nothing new about this, happened when Junior played and still goes on as Mini plays (U16 next year).

What pissed me off was the offers of new bikes, football boots etc - it needs to be totally banned IMHO.

:ohmy:

I was only offered a mars bar and ice cream after each game, though that was 30 years ago! We were one of the better teams in the County though, so these inducements obviously worked!

It's not necessarily right, but in my experience the 'better' players will generally want to go where their friends are or where there's a good chance of success.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

How would you ban it then? Even the most level headed, decent youth managers have done it at some point, maybe not going as far as bribes, but it's only human nature to want to improve your team.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I have been involved in youth football for 6 years and I can guarantee that every club and I mean EVERY club engages in some level of "poaching"

There are always some who are more prolific at doing it than others and at the moment I can think of three straight off the top of my head who are well known for it and two of which also have "academies" attached to them.

What I would say is not to completely blame the coaches who give up their free time to want to put together a good team but also the parents who often have the win at any cost attitude and who desperate to see their children in a winning team.

I've lost two good players over the years to other teams. Even though one plays division 1 football, he has gone backwards in his overall development and the other now plays for Arsenal and is doing very well.

Anyway digressing - poaching is illegal but any laws preventing it are never enforced by the authorities. I've raised it as an issue with one of our teams and its very difficult to prove and even when it is proven, very little is done about it and so teams and parents will still continue to engage in it.

How would you ban it then? Even the most level headed, decent youth managers have done it at some point, maybe not going as far as bribes, but it's only human nature to want to improve your team.

As long as they run it by the other manager then its not a problem,a decent coach would be happy for his players to continue their development at a higher level.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
As another poster noted. The big problem is the focus on the results. This leads to all sorts of odd things happening. Kids get picked on size for a start. Did you know that three quarters of pro English footballers were born in the six months sept to feb? That means only 25% born in six months mar to aug. this shows the focus on results at young age because people pick the kids most likely to win.

Parents are to blame too. They want little billy to be in a winning team from age 9. If you go to other countries they rarely play full matches at that age.

But then in a country where parents think it is okay to abuse te ref in an under 9s match I guess we should not be shocked.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
a certain poster on here has a great rep for poaching players,offering him boots etc and trials with clubs

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Glad I'm out of all this now. It would help if there was no organised competitive football (in terms of leagues and cups) for age groups under say 14. Prior to that the kids can just play football and develop their skills without the pressure of parents wanting them to win plastic medals. (My son threw all his away when he moved out).

The complete opposite about competitive leagues,if you know who the top sides are you get them playing in a sussex top league no point three bridges hammering people in the mid sussex league,old town smacking teams in the east and rivervale whacking brighton sides,they should be playing each other tbh.

THE TOP LEAGUES SHOULD HAVE PROPER OFFICALS FROM DAY ONE AND WOULD BE GOOD TO PLAY ON 3G/4G SURFACES

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
I coach a school side, and last year a manager of an opposing side siad he had picked the 11 tallest kids in the year, as his previous line up kept on losing, definately an emphasis on results at this level. Did have a quiet chuckle to myself when we beat them though. Kids at my school seem to change teams from one year to the next. Very little time is allocated to developing their skills. One school near me has gone as far as 'manipulating results' as they are a sports college and being unsuccessful would lessen their ability to attract the best kids.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The complete opposite about competitive leagues,if you know who the top sides are you get them playing in a sussex top league no point three bridges hammering people in the mid sussex league,old town smacking teams in the east and rivervale whacking brighton sides,they should be playing each other tbh.

THE TOP LEAGUES SHOULD HAVE PROPER OFFICALS FROM DAY ONE AND WOULD BE GOOD TO PLAY ON 3G/4G SURFACES

So who is going to pay for these officials all of whom are also currently volunteers?

Who is also going to pay for the 3G & 4g surfaces?

I coach a school side, and last year a manager of an opposing side siad he had picked the 11 tallest kids in the year, as his previous line up kept on losing, definately an emphasis on results at this level. Did have a quiet chuckle to myself when we beat them though. Kids at my school seem to change teams from one year to the next. Very little time is allocated to developing their skills. One school near me has gone as far as 'manipulating results' as they are a sports college and being unsuccessful would lessen their ability to attract the best kids.

my sons junior school coaching consisted of you 4 stand in a line:facepalm: that was the back four sorted and that was it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
a certain poster on here has a great rep for poaching players,offering him boots etc and trials with clubs
Oh come on, you can't leave it like that!

Glad I'm out of all this now. It would help if there was no organised competitive football (in terms of leagues and cups) for age groups under say 14. Prior to that the kids can just play football and develop their skills without the pressure of parents wanting them to win plastic medals. (My son threw all his away when he moved out).

I'm very resistant of the process for nearly 9 year old jnr.
He has his Albion training @ school on Wednesday's, and that's it.
He's plenty good enough to go into a team but my impression of jnr football is that it's all consuming and takes over every weekend.

Training Saturday's driving all round Sussex on Sunday's, 5-a-side tournaments all Summer.
Add to that all of this B/S, 'competitive dad', training lead by the only sap who wants to do it.

I'm happy to have my mind changed but I don't see too many positives, when up against all the other non football stuff we do.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Shouldn't it be about the kids enjoying themselves rather than it being a glory trip for managers? A bit idealistic I know......

Perhaps school football should be reinvented and be more structured.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

And this is exactly why we see the dates of birth there are in pro footballers.

I bet loads of xavi type players get missed in England as they are too small. Also late developers have no chance.

So who is going to pay for these officials all of whom are also currently volunteers?

Who is also going to pay for the 3G & 4g surfaces?

That is the problem tbh,more money should be put into grass roots sport,if every school could have a 3g facility and then have community use at a affordable cost. what's the going rate for a 3g pitch? must be around £100 per hour so £200 just to get a game on before officials,so it looks like dog poo parks and cheating uncles for refs:ohmy: OTHER YOUTH LEAGUES MANAGE TO FIND PROPER OFFICIALS FROM UNDER 7'S UPWARDS APPARENTLY???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here