Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deafening silence from The Argus

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Today's Argus back page was a disgrace - a story that would have belonged in a Reading local paper, with Wayne Bridge damning last season with faint praise as "quite good" and looking forward to the 2013-14 campaign with the Biscuitmen (I'll never get used to this 'Royals' nonsense).

Rather than having our noses rubbed in the fact that Reading (Reading!) can outspend us, I would have liked to read a piece on our attempts to replace WB - if any. And if there aren't any, because recruitment has ground to a halt in the circumstances, what does the club have to say about it? And if the club refuse to say, then print that.

In fact, I'd have liked an editorial asking what's going on at the Amex and calling on TB to give some answers. The silence from the club is deafening, but so is the silence from the local paper. But then what do I expect from a publication that's put together in Southampton ...?

Here's hoping that things will change when the real Andy Naylor gets back from holiday.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'd prefer a full 8 page pull out on why we cannot compete and what is the no bulltit,no accountants speak,laymans easy terms of how we are losing £8m per season..

Also what our Budget will be and how much is our highest wage earner,anything i missed?

In short i agree.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Reading can outspend us because of parachute payments, it's not a reflection on the Albion that we couldn't afford him, FFP would have prevented it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think poor Naylor is still upset about Poyet not going to Stoke. He would have been a shoe in for the chief sports writer job at the Stoke Sentinel with his Poyet contacts/relationship and could have finally returned to the grim north where he belongs.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
agree totally about the argus. stories about stoke, the fans wanting poyet at wigan and now reading, but not a word about the worrying goings on at the club, not even an editorial. are they concerned about future relations with the club?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Am I wrong in thinking that FFP is not in force until the season after NEXT?

I agree with the OP about the Argus though, the Albion coverage is very bland and seldom features anything that has not already been discussed in depth on here already.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Reading can outspend us because of parachute payments, it's not a reflection on the Albion that we couldn't afford him, FFP would have prevented it.

Of course,i always forget that,well that aside.

el punal

I agree with the OP about the Argus though, the Albion coverage is very bland and seldom features anything that has not already been discussed in depth on here already.

Perhaps it's because it's not news. As everyone at the club seems to be on holiday at present then there are no quotes or statements therefore nothing to publish.

Unlike on here where it's a constant stream of opinions, rumours, chinese whispers, untruths, nearly truths and Loch Ness monster sightings.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Perhaps it's because it's not news. As everyone at the club seems to be on holiday at present then there are no quotes or statements therefore nothing to publish.

Unlike on here where it's a constant stream of opinions, rumours, chinese whispers, untruths, nearly truths and Loch Ness monster sightings.

Good job a fire does not break out at the Amex then,be nobody to raise the alarm.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The implication being that the Argus is good, the rest of the year! it seems that they are frightened of reporting anything unless they have been given permission by the club. Walt Jabesco should be the football correspondent.

Most summers are the same though with local papers

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Naylor's still on holiday, just wait til he's back then we'll get some answers, oh yes.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Is there really a "deafening silence" from The Argus regarding The Albion, as quite clearly right now, there isn't any. I'm more concerned at the deafening silence coming from within the club.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Richie Morris told us more about The Albion in his recent email interview with Barber than the Argus has done.

Perhaps he should become a Journo?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Richie Morris told us more about The Albion in his recent email interview with Barber than the Argus has done.

Perhaps he should become a Journo?

Perhaps NSC could jointly work with/support him to become an independent albion reporter for the fans? I'd pay for a quality weekly update...

Yes you are. It's in operation now but no penalties are applied until next year's accounts have been submitted to the FL; this has to be done by December 2014.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Walt Jabsco's interview with Barber did not contain any revelations from Barber about what was going on with the three suspended parties. He made it clear this was off limits while due process took its course.

Why would the Argus be given answers to those questions?

I know we're all desperate to see some progress but the club is in a tricky position here and it shouldn't be too difficult to imagine the reasons for this. (I could list some of them but we're told not to speculate about such things, and rightly so.)

If the club makes a mess of the current circumstances - which could easily happen if there were leaks and unwise press briefings - it could result in millions of pounds in payouts, or civil action, or both, and the matter could drag on EVEN LONGER.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here