Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cycle help - raising height of handlebars (tools?)

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I need to make handlebars higher, on my aging mountain bike- currently set at max height.

someone mentioned a stem quill or similar, in the pub yesterday-

any idea where i get one of these? lokely cost? easy to fit? will it effect the brake cables?

ta muchly,

bike repair numpty.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Take it to a shop.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Right, it all depends on the system to which the handle bars attach to the stem.

There are two ways effectively, firstly a quill stem which you would need to replace, if is currently at the highest position.

The other is an A-Head system for which you can purchase stem raisers for (roughly £20-£30 the ones we sell), then you will be able to mount the current stem on there after it has raised.

As for the brake and gear cables, depends on how they are at the moment, and also how much movement you have in them before they are too tight and the arc of the cable is too sharp (thus affecting tension and efficency), and if you have hydrolic disc brakes then that is a whole different kettle of fish

Here is a rough guide to the different stems:

http://www.brightspoke.com/c/understanding/stems.html

Without seeing it i cant really give you much else...

Beeercan
Service Manager
Cycle Revolution, Colchester

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Without hijacking this thread anyone use a nuvinci n360 hub and are they any good?

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Without hijacking this thread anyone use a nuvinci n360 hub and are they any good?

Not day to day, but at previous shop sold the Dahon n360 which used the hub, i thought it was ok, given the choice i would go for a rohloff, found the nuvinci ok but not as good as the rohloff.

what riding you looking at doing?

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Not day to day, but at previous shop sold the Dahon n360 which used the hub, i thought it was ok, given the choice i would go for a rohloff, found the nuvinci ok but not as good as the rohloff.

what riding you looking at doing?

I ride a very heavy cargo bike and was thinking of the Nuvinci N360 as I have read the shifting is very smooth. Doesn't the Rohloff cost about three times the price of a Nuvinci N360 ?

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
I ride a very heavy cargo bike and was thinking of the Nuvinci N360 as I have read the shifting is very smooth. Doesn't the Rohloff cost about three times the price of a Nuvinci N360 ?

It does yeah the hub is around the £1000 mark alone, but as bomb proof as anything. Touring it would be a definate, i rode it on a folder and found it ok, but given you have a decent load on the bike then it actually you may well find it pretty useful all round. if not the Shimano Alfine 11spd hub is good (as long as you dont use a drop shifter).

Previous shop did lots of hub geared bikes, and some cargo bikes. what frame you using? the Surly Big Dummy is a fav of mine

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Well you used to have to use an Allen key to raise handlebars undo the central nut pull up handle bar shaft and re tighten but
that was many moons ago bikes are more tech now !

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
It does yeah the hub is around the £1000 mark alone, but as bomb proof as anything. Touring it would be a definate, i rode it on a folder and found it ok, but given you have a decent load on the bike then it actually you may well find it pretty useful all round. if not the Shimano Alfine 11spd hub is good (as long as you dont use a drop shifter).

Previous shop did lots of hub geared bikes, and some cargo bikes. what frame you using? the Surly Big Dummy is a fav of mine

My bike was made by The Cargo Bike Company a British company based in Derby. Only had the bike a week and am just getting use to riding it. It's a lovely bike but could do with some better quality components and one being a hub gear system.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
My bike was made by The Cargo Bike Company a British company based in Derby. Only had the bike a week and am just getting use to riding it. It's a lovely bike but could do with some better quality components and one being a hub gear system.

What does it have currently? i presume a basic Sturmey Archer system (3/5spd) or the Shimano Nexus equivilant. If you did not want to spend a fortune you could always adjust the gearing accordingly perhaps lower if if you are struggling or raise it a few teeth to give you abit more of a challenge.
Depending on the frame spacing at the rear you could always look at the SRAM I-Drive system, giving you a 3spd hub gear and 9spd cassette, would offer a huge range but may wear a few chains and cassettes out mind

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
What does it have currently? i presume a basic Sturmey Archer system (3/5spd) or the Shimano Nexus equivilant. If you did not want to spend a fortune you could always adjust the gearing accordingly perhaps lower if if you are struggling or raise it a few teeth to give you abit more of a challenge.
Depending on the frame spacing at the rear you could always look at the SRAM I-Drive system, giving you a 3spd hub gear and 9spd cassette, would offer a huge range but may wear a few chains and cassettes out mind

It has Shimano TZ derailleur gears at the moment which are worst then poor, as you can imagine it they don't do the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here