Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford totally screwed?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
"Watford have 12 professional players registered for next season...A total of 21 players are poised to leave Vicarage Road this summer..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22826958

Boy, are they done for or what?

Zola to BHA? Very unlikely I know, given that he and GP are best mates, but thought it was worth mentioning...

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
It was always going to be shit or bust for Watford.

Now they're shit and bust.

And Palace are in the Premier league.

Shit.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Because they're under a transfer embargo till september. Keep your fingers crossed that we play them in the first 1/2 dozen or so games, they'll hardly be able to field a side.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Because they're under a transfer embargo till september. Keep your fingers crossed that we play them in the first 1/2 dozen or so games, they'll hardly be able to field a side.

lol. I'm wondering what sort of side WE will be able to field in the first half dozen games the way things are going.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not allowed to sign anyone until Sept 1 which is the day after the window closes, so will be loans and out of contracts

Puts our current DISASTERS into context

aefevans

May 15, 2013
Hi folks, Watford fan here.

Just to clear a couple of things up about what's going on. Firstly, under the rules of our transfer embargo, we can still sign players, it's just that the Football League has to cross-check the transfers to make sure the finances are handled correctly. This is after the previous owner (now banned by the Football League) fiddled with the finances. It's really just a 'supervision', essentially. And yes, it expires on August 31st.

As for the loans, of course, everyone's pouncing on the fact that the loans have gone back on the basis that the season is over. The fact remains that, on paper, the loans have returned to Udinese, those who will remain at Watford next season will still train with us until everything is sorted. This may or may not include Matej Vydra, but I can say for a fact that Daniel Pudil is still with Watford and is due to join pre-season training, having recently bought a house in the area.

In fact, it wasn't our intention from the off to sign a load of loans; because our takeover went through so soon before the start of the season, we had no time to scout players as thoroughly as we'd have liked, so we essentially had a load of Udinese players thrown at us and we hoped for the best (and it seemed to work out okay in the end). The plan is for us to sign some of them permanently (again, this may or may not include Vydra) as well as some new faces.

The only reason we would be prevented by the Football League from fielding a full squad is if we were in as much muck as Portsmouth were (or Coventry could become). In fact, this probably would have happened had we not been bought by the Pozzos (who, incedentally, were the ones who alerted the FL to the previous owner's misdealings).

Anyway, it's an unusual situation. Hope this clears some of it up.

Oh, and Wanderbus, I hope we play you in the first few games, too. I'd like a warm away day in Brighton for once.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Aefevans - thanks for your post - very helpful, to me at least.

Zola's immediate post-playoff final interview was a model of what you'd want your manager to say in similar circumstances (unlike some, but I digress). Do you think he really does intend to stay though?

aefevans

May 15, 2013
Aefevans - thanks for your post - very helpful, to me at least.

Zola's immediate post-playoff final interview was a model of what you'd want your manager to say in similar circumstances (unlike some, but I digress). Do you think he really does intend to stay though?

You mean does Zola intend to say? If that's what you mean, I can't imagine why he wouldn't. I know loyalty in football is somewhat of a thing of the past, but I can't imagine him going anywhere. In fact, at the start of the season he said that this season (the one just gone) was about consolidation, and that the next one was the promotion push. Going by this I can say with confidence that he could see himself here next season, and so can I.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You mean does Zola intend to say? If that's what you mean, I can't imagine why he wouldn't. I know loyalty in football is somewhat of a thing of the past, but I can't imagine him going anywhere. In fact, at the start of the season he said that this season (the one just gone) was about consolidation, and that the next one was the promotion push. Going by this I can say with confidence that he could see himself here next season, and so can I.

Yep, I did mean that. I suspect your confidence is well founded; every public pronouncement I've seen him make is loyal to the club - something to be applauded. I wish you the best for next season - one place behind us will suit me very well :whistle:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Any sanctions /punishments should either be sorted before the start of the season or left to run throughout. If Watford are weak through part of the season, then it gives an advantage to whoever plays them early.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Watford can quite frankly go and **** themselves, after that piss poor showing at Wembley.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I fully expected to see Watford promoted last season, most impressive style of play not surprising when you consider who the manager is,likely that the owners will arrange other signings from Italy who should bring Premiership football to the club in a couple of years.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There is nothing to stop Watford signing any of the players they had on loan last season for a nominal fee. The Football League will just need to ratify the deals on an individual basis. Wurzel was being hypocritical when he threw a wobbly over the number of loan signings at Watford forgetting that Palace had 5 loanees including a loanback after pocketing £10M. The new rules on loan players puts all clubs on an equal footing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here