Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Express

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
For away game travel I've been seeking an alternative to expensive trains and, following a recommendation by my brother, I checked out the National Express Coach company website and they're offering very reasonable fees, returns from Gatwick Airport to Blackburn for example from just £19.70. Has anybody used them before and if so, what was your experience and is it worth it for games?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
used them to travel up to Manchester to visit girlfriend at uni, they're good if you like being by yourself, or if your with a group, its ok, some do have phone chargers depending on how new the coach is, if you want to save money then i would recommend them

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My only experience of them was not very positive, but probably others have had better. I was going to Heathrow in 2008, so instead of getting a taxi, I thought I'd give them a try. The coach I was meant to get, the Swansea one, had been delayed, so they decided to start it from Heathrow and it didn't come to Gatwick. I and a number of others got put on the Cambridge coach instead and the driver insisted on me putting my bag right inside the luggage area, even though I wanted Terminal 5, the first stop. He and his mate then spent the whole journey running colleagues down, which I thought was highly unprofessional. We got to Terminal 5 I told him I wanted and he said no, you're Terminal 1. I insisted on getting off, but couldn't find my bag, and ended up having to go to the central bus station, then I had to go by Heathrow Express to Terminal 5 in a rush rather than with time to spare. On the way back, the coach engine made funny noises and we spent time on the hard shoulder. So it's a no as far as I'm concerned. I normally use the Costa Express for away games. Why not use that or the Blues Away coach? They both stop in the Crawley area.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
surely it's a bad way to go to an away game?

no alcohol allowed, long trips can get pretty boring compared to train when you can move around. also that Blackburn example would surely be 6 hours + where a train from Brighton would probably be 3-4.

Years ago, I used to use the National Express coach that went from Penzance to Eastbourne to travel home from work (Lewes - Firle), because the local bus ran too early. This was fine and a very comfortable journey - except when it was running late, which on a journey that started in Penzance was a fairly frequent occurrence.

A mate of mine - a Palace supporter - who worked for Brighton Corporation Buses at the time - managed to persuade National Express to add a stop to the Brighton - Victoria service that was convenient for Selhurst Park. He only really needed it on Palace matchdays, and he was the only passenger who ever used it, but it became a permanent feature of the service - every hour, seven days a week, throughout the year.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I once remember travelling, (mid 90's l think), from Gatwick Airport to Manchester on a so called National Express Airport Express, to meet my wife who had just returned from a business trip. The word 'express' was something of a misnomer though. It went via Heathrow Airport, Luton Airport, Birmingham Airport, Leeds Bradford Airport and Manchester Airport, changed drivers a number of times, and took over eight hours to finally reach Manchester Piccadilly Bus Station. Never again.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
surely it's a bad way to go to an away game?

no alcohol allowed, long trips can get pretty boring compared to train when you can move around. also that Blackburn example would surely be 6 hours + where a train from Brighton would probably be 3-4.

I think the OP's problem is the price of such journeys.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Train is the way.
Just book twelve weeks in advance and its cheaper.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
There are alternative, cheaper, transport options. National Express can be useful. A return to Victoria Station on the train (with a network card) is about £9 these days and the coach station is just around the corner.

It is good for midlands travel, places like Nottingham, Leicester and Derby can be reached for as little as £10 return. So if you don't mind and extra hour either way it's fine. I've done it.

As regards alcohol-who cares, not all of us want to get pissed. As regards no battery charging-I've always been aware of this so I take an additionally charged battery for my phone.

So in short, for the OP, yes it can sometimes be a useful mode of transport. Remember Megabus though, I have got a cheap return from their site to Midlands destinations too.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If money is a real concern MegaBus will get you there at outrageously cheap prices, I've paid £3.60 from London > Leeds

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
There are alternative, cheaper, transport options. National Express can be useful. A return to Victoria Station on the train (with a network card) is about £9 these days and the coach station is just around the corner.

It is good for midlands travel, places like Nottingham, Leicester and Derby can be reached for as little as £10 return. So if you don't mind and extra hour either way it's fine. I've done it.

As regards alcohol-who cares, not all of us want to get pissed. As regards no battery charging-I've always been aware of this so I take an additionally charged battery for my phone.

So in short, for the OP, yes it can sometimes be a useful mode of transport. Remember Megabus though, I have got a cheap return from their site to Midlands destinations too.

Great advice thanks :)

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I take it to and from uni in Durham for a fraction of the cost compared to taking the train, or even a helicopter for that matter. Luggage allowance is really flexible as well compared to taking the plane as well. Sure it may take longer, but it's worth it for the reduced hassle and savings.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Megabus is killing National Express on some routes as they are MUCH cheaper. For example i did London - Leeds for the last game of the season for only £8 return. Megabus also operate sleeper coaches to Scotland and coaches through the Channel Tunnel to Europe. They also operate Megatrain on Virgin, East Midlands Trains and South West Trains - basically advance train tickets, just a bit cheaper and not a train ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here