Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t Stars well on the way down

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sweet's Blockbuster was the first record I ever bought, but in October 1986 I was gutted when I saw Brian Connolly fronting his then version of the band at the old Man City Social Club at Maine Road. He looked like a cross between Bet Lynch and Bernard Manning, a pale shadow of a proper rock star who had reached the top years before.

Anyone else seen one of their idols on the way down?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Blockbuster was my first purchase too :blush:

I'm glad I haven't seen any of the sweet since they started going downhill - one needs to keep the romance alive!

I saw Dylan a couple of years ago and was very, very sad. I've been bullied into seeing the Stones in Hyde Park in July - suspect that might be disappointing too...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Ian - do you have any frames of reference for entertainment and culture outside of the 70s and early 80s?

:wink:

Buzzer that was my favourite time mate, I hit the big 50 in 14 months, if only I had Michael J Fox's De Lorean.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sweet's Blockbuster was the first record I ever bought, but in October 1986 I was gutted when I saw Brian Connolly fronting his then version of the band at the old Man City Social Club at Maine Road. He looked like a cross between Bet Lynch and Bernard Manning, a pale shadow of a proper rock star who had reached the top years before.

He wasn't just "on the way down", he had serious health problems.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bizarrely my house in Hove used to be the address of the Brian Connolly Fan Club many years ago. I occasionally get mail for them and the address is still on some old websites.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bizarrely my house in Hove used to be the address of the Brian Connolly Fan Club many years ago. I occasionally get mail for them and the address is still on some old websites.

I worked one summer at MGM Insurance at the bottom of Heene Road in Worthing. The bloke I was working with was about 22 and he was the secretary of the Bucks Fizz Fan Club. His brother was secretary of the Fat Boys Fan Club. I think that is fantastic.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Bizarrely my house in Hove used to be the address of the Brian Connolly Fan Club many years ago. I occasionally get mail for them and the address is still on some old websites.[/QUOTE

Own up you and your bro were both fully paid up members.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Not a hero - but I went to see Ray Dorset (Mungo Jerry) at I think it was The Cartoon in Croydon many moons ago. When he walked through the pub to the stage - he looked completely out of it. Just looked him up on Wikipedia - he is alive and well and living in Bournemouth.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I worked one summer at MGM Insurance at the bottom of Heene Road in Worthing. The bloke I was working with was about 22 and he was the secretary of the Bucks Fizz Fan Club. His brother was secretary of the Fat Boys Fan Club. I think that is fantastic.

I used to work with his Mum, I forget his first name but he used to tell her about these bizarre dreams he had about Mike Nolan, and you think I'm sad Buzzer?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I used to work with his Mum, I forget his first name but he used to tell her about these bizarre dreams he had about Mike Nolan, and you think I'm sad Buzzer?

I never said you were sad matey. Just teasing you gently about your love of the 70s. And yes, he was a bit unique that chap. He always struck me as a bit light on his feet too, if you get my meaning.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not a hero - but I went to see Ray Dorset (Mungo Jerry) at I think it was The Cartoon in Croydon many moons ago. When he walked through the pub to the stage - he looked completely out of it. Just looked him up on Wikipedia - he is alive and well and living in Bournemouth.

That was the first pub I ever drank in. I was working in a school holiday (aged 14, I think) at an insurance company just along the street and the girls in the department used to take me at lunchtimes. Happy times...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I never said you were sad matey. Just teasing you gently about your love of the 70s. And yes, he was a bit unique that chap. He always struck me as a bit light on his feet too, if you get my meaning.

His Mum had the same concerns.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Buzzer that was my favourite time mate, I hit the big 50 in 14 months, if only I had Michael J Fox's De Lorean.

Tell you what - I now you love our hometown dearly and you're passionate about the 70s too - how about petitioning the town council to erect a permanent statue of Horace Duke dressed in Edwardian gear and complete with bicycle and radio on the Offington Roundabout? He made a slightly dull town so much brighter back then.

Only one stipulation - the statue has to have Horace flicking Vs at the motorists. What do you reckon?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Not easy having puddle-jumping tendencies and living in Worthing at that time. About the only one who managed it well that I knew was Gay Michael from the Downview saloon bar.

Was that Mick the black cab driver?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Debbie Harry

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Tell you what - I now you love our hometown dearly and you're passionate about the 70s too - how about petitioning the town council to erect a permanent statue of Horace Duke dressed in Edwardian gear and complete with bicycle and radio on the Offington Roundabout? He made a slightly dull town so much brighter back then.

Only one stipulation - the statue has to have Horace flicking Vs at the motorists. What do you reckon?

It has been mentioned before, but maybe it's time for another airing. I had the privilege of looking after Horace when he died.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here