Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The bar at St Pancras

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
At a similar time only a few months ago I shut the door and headed to the tube and on to St Pancras for a long awaited away day.

I sat in the most beautiful resurrected station I'd ever seen and even Kings Cross was looking a damn sight better. I smiled when I thought how the old days of Brighton away to Crewe, Carlisle, Hartlepool used to start from a shabby work in progress pitiful station. I thought what a change, this is so much better. I then nearly choked when the bill for two small drinks came to £17 and nobody in the bar was singing.

Bit lost on whether I get used to the bar and the prices or go back to the old days of party six and an Albion choir on cattle train tut north.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Replace "St Pancras" with AMEX stadium and all the rest stands to describe the difference between home games until two years ago and now as well! (As I'm sure you meant anyway...)

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Replace "St Pancras" with AMEX stadium and all the rest stands to describe the difference between home games until two years ago and now as well! (As I'm sure you meant anyway...)

First game I went to was 1976 at the Goldstone (so appreciative of your amiable response and your avatar/ moniker ?) And yes, I meant it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
St Pancras is a beautiful station, certainly top 10 in the world , possibly top 5.

I could quite happily spend the day there.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I must admit the first time I went to the re-furbished and extended St Pancras I was incredibly impressed. The modern extension and the opening-up of the old cellar (plus the sprucing-up of the original train station) has been superbly done; I'm surprised more fuss wasn't made of it at the time. Great to see the statue of Sir John Betjeman as well! What a pity the same attitude of 'preserve, refurbish and extend' wasn't around when Euston station was re-built back in the 1960s.

Looking forward to seeing Brighton station as well when the revamp's finished.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
But what other station can boast a 'hidden' toy museum? (Although showing photographs and a Google map on the website, might just give away it's mysterious location).

On that point, why didn't they keep the access to Trafalgar Street open to save those extra 100 yards before you reach the Prince?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I always enjoy spending 10 minutes looking at the sculpture upstairs at St Pancras near the front of the station, the one with the trains, people digging the tunnels etc. lovely station, a Gothic masterpiece.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On that point, why didn't they keep the access to Trafalgar Street open to save those extra 100 yards before you reach the Prince?

I believe that as part of the renovation, the Trafalgar St entrance is being opened again - with a parade of shops, rather than the evil-smelling Gents.

The London station I used to love was Marylebone, although it was 'improved' about 15 years ago and lost some of its charm.

Most beautiful station in the world is still Grand Central in NY. Does for me every time

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I believe that as part of the renovation, the Trafalgar St entrance is being opened again - with a parade of shops, rather than the evil-smelling Gents.

The London station I used to love was Marylebone, although it was 'improved' about 15 years ago and lost some of its charm.

Most beautiful station in the world is still Grand Central in NY. Does for me every time

Never been but Madrid Atocha Station is supposed to be very nice as well.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is a fantastic station. It's a pity more UK stations don't come up to this standard. The problem we have though is that unlike other larger countries that can just build new ones due to the space at their disposal we just don't have that option and thankfully we also have strict laws about where one can build. For better or worse we have no choice but to improve upon existing infrastructure, causing a great deal of problems for commuters as we do so. The rail companies have a huge task ahead of them. Carrying out these improvements is akin to trying to change a wheel on a bus while the bus is still in motion.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I might have to start drinking in there, after eight blonde bimbette barmaids in The Euston Flyer donned perplexed visages when I suggested changing the barrel when the ESB ran out :ohmy: Rocket science obv :rant:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
My London office is near there and that Renaissance Bar should be avoided by anyone who isn't a banker.

No need for Party Six. Better to cross over the road and two blocks down Judd St to Skinners or one block West to Mables Tavern. Decent beer at regular price (well Mables is still £4 for a decent bitter but you can't have it all).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here