Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Man TT - why is this still allowed?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no knowledge of 2 wheels & a motor, to the point that I've never even sat on a motorbike.

I'm not trying to be controversial here, it's a genuine question, based on the fact that just one death at an organised sporting event, sends regulatory bodies into a tailspin.
As an outsider looking in, the only thing I know about the TT is, it kills people.

This story caught my eye:-

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/motorsports-spectators-injured-isle-man-crash-144248300.html

and fortunately the closing paragraph saved me from the next obvious follow-on google search

The TT races, which draw throngs of bikers to the island, are generally regarded as the most dangerous in motorcycling with 240 rider fatalities since 1907.
The latest was 43-year-old Japanese Yoshinari Matsushita, who was killed in practice last week. He was the 21st to die at the circuit since 2000.

As said I don't wish to tread on the toes of this boards TT fans, I'd just like to know how they are able to bypass H&S.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Coming from a cyclist,well i think that lot are mad too :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Coming from a cyclist,well i think that lot are mad too :lolol:
Oh yeah, I am at pains to state I'm not trolling here.
If we had an inflection smilie I would be able to ask the question in the way it's intended!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They are motorcyclists, its what they do. Probably a bit safer for them too as there are less cars getting in the way.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Oh yeah, I am at pains to state I'm not trolling here.
If we had an inflection smilie I would be able to ask the question in the way it's intended!!

This thread will meander,however benefit of the doubt time,they have no rules on IOM,you are either in and your face fit's or not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They are motorcyclists, its what they do. Probably a bit safer for them too as there are less cars getting in the way.
im not buying that.

I don't know but im prepared to bet there hasn't been on average 2 deaths a year in any other kind of motorbike racing.
If I were drunk enough id even start betting there hasn't been 24 deaths in ALL organised motorbike races, this century.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
im not buying that.

I don't know but im prepared to bet there hasn't been on average 2 deaths a year in any other kind of motorbike racing.
If I were drunk enough id even start betting there hasn't been 24 deaths in ALL organised motorbike races, this century.

Can i just say,i have enjoyed many of your recent threads.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The TT races are held over a circuit nearly 40 miles long,including mountain sections,town sections,and open country sections,at great speeds.Fortunately,car drivers are not allowed on the roads at the same time,so the contestants are safe from the biggest killer of motorcyclists,Volvo etc drivers.Some fatalities are a constant with anything more than walking speed,for example the average 2000 deaths a year on British roads for the last 10 years!Does the OP work in the Elf & Safety community or is he just a :fishing:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they haven't bypassed H&S, they have done everything to minimise risk and observe safe practice which is the point of H&S. people die in just about any past time. people die playing football, sadly. life is dangerous.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have no knowledge of 2 wheels & a motor, to the point that I've never even sat on a motorbike.

I'm not trying to be controversial here, it's a genuine question, based on the fact that just one death at an organised sporting event, sends regulatory bodies into a tailspin.
As an outsider looking in, the only thing I know about the TT is, it kills people.

This story caught my eye:-

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/motorsports-spectators-injured-isle-man-crash-144248300.html

and fortunately the closing paragraph saved me from the next obvious follow-on google search

The TT races, which draw throngs of bikers to the island, are generally regarded as the most dangerous in motorcycling with 240 rider fatalities since 1907.
The latest was 43-year-old Japanese Yoshinari Matsushita, who was killed in practice last week. He was the 21st to die at the circuit since 2000.

As said I don't wish to tread on the toes of this boards TT fans, I'd just like to know how they are able to bypass H&S.

Why do they do it? Because they are adrenalin junkies.

How are they able to do it? Because the IoM firstly needs the income the TT provides, and secondly has the balls to tell H&S to go Google themselves.

There are many analogies that can be drawn - mountaineering, single handed long distance sailing, hang gliding - all pursuits with a higher than average chance of serious injury. Long may it continue, unless you want personal freedoms to be constantly eroded.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Motor cyclists are not a protected species.Car drivers can hunt them down like all other wildlife.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Motor cyclists are not a protected species.Car drivers can hunt them down like all other wildlife.

And cyclists,personally i blame motorbikes without lights on and cyclists without colours,oh and **** car drivers that fail to look twice.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
they haven't bypassed H&S, they have done everything to minimise risk and observe safe practice which is the point of H&S. people die in just about any past time. people die playing football, sadly. life is dangerous.

As a current motorcycle rider who has been to the IOM to watch the TT Races and also the son of an ex-TT Racer can I say this is the most sensible post on the thread.

Would I race there myself - probably not, would I prevent other people from racing there - certainly not.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
To go back to the OPs question, The IOM like the Channel Islands is linked to the Crown but is independent of the Westminster Parliament. They have their own Parliament and only comform to UK law if they want to. I assume the H & S laws they have either rejected or modified to suit themselves.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
All people in life should have something that excites them. That is the reason why people push the boundaries and why extreme sports exist in the first place. For motorcyclists the ultimate challenge is the TT, for mountaineers it's climbing Mt Everest. For Kayakers it's negotiating the fierciest rapids. If I had a passion that strong for something, I'd want to aspire to conquer the hardest challenge in whatever discipline that I was undertaking.

All participants are fully aware of the risks before they start. If I had the bottle or skill I'd love to give it a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here