Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evening argus 1958

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Found this paper I've had for ages earlier, thought someone might find it interesting. We beat watford 6-0!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370623840.478497.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Excellent stuff!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Adrian Thorne got 5 goals in that game according to the report. Is that a club record? I remember Bryan Wade and Murray getting 4 against Newcastle and Wycombe, but I can't remember a striker scoring 5?

Interesting that Fludes carpets were advertising on the front page. They are still around.

That can't be genuine Argus report. It doesn't say Thorne Goes Nap. Those were the days when there were a lot of bribery and betting allegations floating around in football and some players went to chokey, including Peter Swan (no relation!) It was also reported that the Watford full back supposedly marking Thorne was also investigated. But there was nothing in it, Thorne just had one of those days where every time he shot it went in.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
good thread this
those were the days when the Argus was worth reading

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It was one of those days that you call 'I was there' moments....in 1966 I worked for the Argus as a mechanic and part of my duties before the paper was printed was to go to John Vinicombes house to collect his report...a real nice gentleman...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What an achievement it was - as in those days you had to finish 1st to win promotion from Division 3 (South). I believe we are still the title holders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here