Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins

TheReadingFan

Mar 20, 2013
Afternoon all,

I tend to visit the site when we (Reading) are involved, just to have a look at the opinions that are flying round amongst yourselves. However, it seems that Nigel Adkins doesn't seem to be quite popular among the Brighton faithful. I was just wondering why some of you are not so keen on him and whether an incident sparked this view?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yes, that's entirely true. It's because he's a pr1ck.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Afternoon all,

I tend to visit the site when we (Reading) are involved, just to have a look at the opinions that are flying round amongst yourselves. However, it seems that Nigel Adkins doesn't seem to be quite popular among the Brighton faithful. I was just wondering why some of you are not so keen on him and whether an incident sparked this view?

Its because he talks like David Brent, has a face nobody could ever tire of smacking, and specifically, because he showed a huge lack of class, in refusing to allow his Southampton team to give us a guard of honour when we played them in League One, 2 weeks after we'd beaten them to the title.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Its because he talks like David Brent, has a face nobody could ever tire of smacking, and specifically, because he showed a huge lack of class, in refusing to allow his Southampton team to give us a guard of honour when we played them in League One, 2 weeks after we'd beaten them to the title.

And I believe we kept up that season too

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In fact, his lack of class, when his TRUE CHAMPIONS were beaten to the title, by undeserving Brighton, was VERY, VERY similar to Pardew's when the same thing happened between us and Reading a few years earlier.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

l1final-2.jpg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does he manage Reading now? I wonder where he had disappeared to.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
His soundbites are terrible.

When Saints were bottom of the Prem after two or three games this season, I remember him saying after one of the games "That must make us the strongest team in the Premier League, because we're holding everyone up"

So cringeworthy!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Oh that orange face. Those soundbites. That unbounded and quite nauseating optimism. A slick salesman who can't believe his luck in life.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nadkins banged on about his precious Southampton being the best team in League 1 and how we would struggle to keep up with them although at the time we were storming the league at the top of the table.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In fairness he knows what it takes to get out of this division and seemed to have guided Saints to relative safety in the Premier League when he was sacked. In his favour I don't recall him having a bad word to say about Saints when he had every reason to be pretty pissed off.

Still irritates the **** out of me with his smugness though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There are some people who you look at and think "Not only do I know you're totally out of your depth and blagging this, YOU know it too. You show it with your eyes." He's the most shining example of this I thinkI've ever seen in football.

TheReadingFan

Mar 20, 2013
In fairness he knows what it takes to get out of this division and seemed to have guided Saints to relative safety in the Premier League when he was sacked. In his favour I don't recall him having a bad word to say about Saints when he had every reason to be pretty pissed off.

Still irritates the **** out of me with his smugness though.

Can't disagree with anything you have said here. His record for getting teams out of divisions is very good, it will be put to the test to see if he can get a team to bounce straight back up, with history proving it doesn't regularly happen. NA does come across extremely smug, but when he is with your team, you put up with it (Suarez etc).

I can understand why you dislike him, it seems like he wants to be the 'winner' all the time and if he isn't, he doesn't want to know about it.

gumbo43

gumbo
Jun 9, 2011
hove
He's a slimy toad, nothing special as a manager, thank god he not here, would rather be rudderless,
reading are welcome to him..

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It all begun with this:

Suffice to say, we won the league that year - Southampton came second.

Point being that when Adkins made his 'if they can keep with us' comment, we were six points ahead of them and top of the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here