Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flymo advice...

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Completely OT - but last night my lawnmower handle controller snapped leaving me with half a moved lawn... I've been on numerous Flymo and generic lawnmower parts websites that have thousands of spare parts for the lawnmower I have (Flymo E300) - but I can't seem to find the bit I need - mainly because I don't know what it would be called! I've tried loads of different things such as controller : handle / kill switch etc.
basically you have to hold the handle and a lever down to keep it running - if you release the lever it turns off. This lever is built into the housing of the plastic control panel attached to the handle and it's snapped off.

I thought I'd ask the gardening experts of NSC before driving it to the mower man...Any help greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Try the local Council Rubbish Dump - there's always discarded Flymo's there!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With the wiring exposed and the general condition of the flymo wouldn't it be safer to buy a new one instead of replacing a cover on the switchbox ?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
With the wiring exposed and the general condition of the flymo wouldn't it be safer to buy a new one instead of replacing a cover on the switchbox ?

I'd agree with that, and you can get a very nice Flymo Visimo 32 from either Robert Dyas or Wilkinsons for a shade under £60 (ignore the internet, just find a Wilkinsons close to a Robert Dyas and remind them about matching the price - in fact the one in Newbury is offering one at £55 to try to undercut the Robert Dyas over the road). And it has wheels and a grassbox too !

Fred In The Shed offers some independant reviews of various models, and if I could have afforded a Wolf, I'd have bought one, but it's not really warranted for my little postage stamp sized lawn.

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/mowers.htm

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Mowers aren't built to last any more. A couple of dozen uses and they fall to pieces.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Mowers aren't built to last any more. A couple of dozen uses and they fall to pieces.

It's the British consumer who won't pay the asking price for a quality Allet, Hayter or Mountfield that dictates the quality of lawnmowers on the market.

The Allet 14L is the natual successor to the Atco or Suffolk Punch of yesteryear, but the customer base for a £600 lawnmower is limited when everyone has covered their front lawns in tarmac, and their back gardens with decking......... notwithstanding that you're lucky to even get a lawn with many new build houses these days.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Completely OT - but last night my lawnmower handle controller snapped leaving me with half a moved lawn...

...Any help greatly appreciated!

Why have you been trying to move the lawn with a lawnmower?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'd never get another flymo, I slipped a disc using my old one swinging it around. 4 wheels and straight lines for me nowadays.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010

It was me that took it off when the lever snapped. It all works fine - it cuts really well, so I'm reluctant to buy another one without trying to repair this one.

I've made it work today by wedging a pebble against the switch so it's constantly on, but it's very unsafe! (I won't be doing it again)...

Will ring Flymo helpline and ask.

Thanks all for your suggestions etc.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It was me that took it off when the lever snapped. It all works fine - it cuts really well, so I'm reluctant to buy another one without trying to repair this one.

I've made it work today by wedging a pebble against the switch so it's constantly on, but it's very unsafe! (I won't be doing it again)...

Will ring Flymo helpline and ask.

Thanks all for your suggestions etc.

On the Flymo website I think the part you're after , the lever , is obsolete and there is no alternative. There are some levers for sale on e-bay but they are for different Flymo models which the helpline might be able to tell you if they're compatible or not.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Look at the Flymo parts list for other models. I would bet that most of their switches would fit and do the job. Failing bodging it with a different model switch there is a very decent lawnmower and parts place in Gardener Street Portslade, I think it's called Shoulders.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here