Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bicycle Hire

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
The Lady and I are looking at getting into this bicycle malarkey and before stumping up for some bikes, I'm after some suggestions of places you can hire some for the day with a relaxing(ish) route nearby, picnic spots or nice pubs are a must. Preferably more rural than urban. Cheers! x

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Hi you could try a ride along the Downs link way which runs along the river adur and up along the old Shoreham to Guilford railway easy ride. You don't have to do the whole of it and some nice pubs along the way. I think there are a couple of bike hire places in Shoreham.

http://www.cranleighrailway.info/acrobat/downs_link_route_guide.pdf

Agreed, Pub in West Grinstead which runs alongside the downs link. About half way through if you're planning to do the whole route at once.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Done the whole ride about 5 years ago all the way back to Worthing. The worst part was riding against the wind along the cycle path from Shoreham to Worthing the rest was pretty easy. Didn't get to stop but remember a few pubs along the way.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Blimey. I'd like to point out that neither of us have been on a bicycle for many years!
Shoreham to Bramber looks good...

:blush:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
For bike hire and a nice flat area nowhere beats the Seven Sisters Country Park. Beautiful scenery too. On the bend just after you cross the river heading towards Eastbourne on the A259.

http://www.sevensisters.org.uk/

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If you enjoy the ride you should buy your bikes from GWhizz, round the corner from the Iron Duke pub. He sells 2nd hand bikes and he's the best bike technician in B&H.

theboybilly

I love the DownsLink trail and often ride back to Shoreham from Christ's Hospital railway station. For beginners even this gentle flat route will be enough of a slog if you tackle it too early. You need to build up gently. I'd suggest hiring a couple of hybrid bikes in Brighton and then head along the cycle route towards Worthing until you've had enough.Just a few miles will do. Then you can take your pick of the many watering holes and eateries to relax before your return and you won't be far from the railway to get you back if you've really had enough. Overdoing it will almost certainly put you off going out again. In this weather I would suggest good 'wicking' clothing to keep you comfortable. Cycling's meant to be fun not a chore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here