Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anyone else getting the feeling that last season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was our big push for promotion and now we are going to concentrate on staying in this league rather than trying to get out of it?

Could have been the high spot for a few years?

Hopefully I am wrong and once the manager situation is sorted we'll be signing players who can take us to the next step.

Just get the feeling that after three years of a bit of glory we could be taking a backward step.

Convince me I'm wrong

I love this division but was half expecting that we'd be one of the big teams but accept that maybe I was getting carried away. Can't really moan if TB is looking to rein in spending and consolidate rather than pushing hard.

Would really like some good news soon..

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think Gus knew that we would not keep the squad together and things would be harder next season - that was the basis for his ill times interview after Palace.

Hard to say what our future is until we get a manager and start to get a squad together. Not going to be easy to keep existing players or get new ones until we have some clarity

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Given our loan signings, and the fact that it was a weak league, it was obviously a great opp to go up.

And, let's face it, we're probably going to lose Bridcutt.

BUT that doesn't mean we don't have a chance next season or the season after.

A new manager and a few key signings will get everyone excited again.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Got to say, my optimism has been dropping everyday. Suspension for how long? If they have done something worthy of this public debacle then the club should have dealt with it swiftly. If they were only a little bit naughty then have a private spat.

Brighton are really looking like a noddy club

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With the amount Bloom has spent, getting to the Prem asap must be massive for him.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
heart says Bloom will think he has to go for it again because the money he invested last year was for the premiership and to recoup it must be in there but in a much harder championship next season and with at least 10+ teams easily in with a chance of promotion, I can't help but think we could be mid to upper table at best for some time to come and so he may well baulk at being asked to risk significant money again when chances of success next year must be less than they were last season. Championship is a good league but if that looks the realistic limit of our current owners pockets then he may need external investment as crowds will be nearer 20,000 if we become a comfortable mid table non premiership side for too long.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Mid table mediocrity looms.

Having said that, Palace scraped their way to the premier league with an a terrible defence, so all is not lost. If we get a manager who likes to spend the majority of the time in the opponents half we might be alright.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We had a very good squad last season. The back four with Bridcutt in front was the best in the Championship. It was a squad capable of automatic promotion. If Gus is honest with himself, he knows he blew it. TB gave him every support to push for the Prem.
If a lot of BHA fans are honest with themselves, they will know that this sort of opportunity doesn't come round that often. The division was competitive but pretty ordinary. With the class in our squad, we had the edge on a lot of teams.
I have no doubt that some other managers would have got us promoted. Either through the regular season or through the play-offs. The talkative and charasmatic Poyet has attracted some very good players to this club but has he extracted the most out of them? Top managers are reknown for getting that little bit extra out of players and that makes the difference.
We were superb at times last season but on too many other times we were frustratingly predictable. Our superb defence made us very hard to beat but the manager's innate caution resulted in too many draws.
I was gutted to lose in the play-offs as I felt we had a wonderful opportunity. A lot of neutrals thought we were going to make it. We had the best squad and the best form going into them. The rest is history. Promotion would have set us up for years. We would probably have signed Bridge and Upson.
What beckons now is uncertainty. This may have been our best chance for years to get out of the Championship. Next season the bottom club in the Prem will get £63mill, followed by significant parachute payments. The ' league within a league ' will become ever more obvious, with relegated clubs having the resources to bounce straight back.
A good solid club like Derby are treading mid-table water in the Championship as they haven't got the resources to compete with others at the same level. Eventually, they are forced to sell their young talent and they are back to square one.
How can you compete when Palace are getting over £100mill in four seasons? ( if they come back down ) Brighton ,Derby and others will get about a tenth of that.
I have a horrible feeling it may be ' after the Lord Mayors Show ' next season. I desperately hope that I am wrong.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think a season or two building is on the cards. I will be pretty happy with this providing some youth talent starts to come through and we play decent football that will keep me awake in the middle of the night. The fall out from the end of the season has really pulled the rug from underneath us as I think Poyet was building something special. A new manager is going to need to start afresh and build a new team as the loan signings head back to their parent clubs. My main concern is the fickle and success hungry noisy minority on here who are going to have their knives sharpened for the new manager if he doesn't sign the caliber of players we have become used to signing under Poyet.

Will the naysayers start saying nay if we are out of the playoff places around Christmas?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
heart says Bloom will think he has to go for it again because the money he invested last year was for the premiership and to recoup it must be in there but in a much harder championship next season and with at least 10+ teams easily in with a chance of promotion, I can't help but think we could be mid to upper table at best for some time to come and so he may well baulk at being asked to risk significant money again when chances of success next year must be less than they were last season. Championship is a good league but if that looks the realistic limit of our current owners pockets then he may need external investment as crowds will be nearer 20,000 if we become a comfortable mid table non premiership side for too long.
A much harder championship my arse.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Given our loan signings, and the fact that it was a weak league, it was obviously a great opp to go up.

And, let's face it, we're probably going to lose Bridcutt.

BUT that doesn't mean we don't have a chance next season or the season after.

A new manager and a few key signings will get everyone excited again.

This. It is always like this in June. You get crap clubs like Sheffield Wednesday hoovering up average but available players and everybody wets themselves with worry. If we look a mess in 6 weeks time I will be concerned, but for now the sport is more or less on holiday. Chill out and watch the cricket.

And Notters is right, next season won't be harder than this one.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If we have to take a small step backwards before we take 2 steps forwards then so be it as long as we get there in the end, It's when we keep walking backwards we've got problems.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think it all depends on who is in charge and how we play. We currently have pretty much the same squad as last year minus the class of bridge and upson. Lopez would be a blow if he does not sign again.
I would think this board will be jumping with excitment again if we get the right new manager in who has the contacts to replace the lost quality and someone who plays a bit more positivly.
I think Poyet and Bloom both know we should have gone up this year. To negative at times has cost is those 5 points we would have needed to go up.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Wolves, Peterborough, Palace, Hull, Cardiff & Bristol City replaced by Yeovil, Doncaster, Reading (Bridge), QPR (Redknapp mess), Wigan (Roberto gone) & Bournemouth.

Will be a an interesting division, but I feel slightly weaker.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Too early to worry.

Clearly Wayne was a class player for us last season, but I'm sure we'll get a couple of decent loans in again later in the summer.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
. My main concern is the fickle and success hungry noisy minority on here who are going to have their knives sharpened for the new manager if he doesn't sign the caliber of players we have become used to signing under Poyet.

Will the naysayers start saying nay if we are out of the playoff places around Christmas?[/QUOTE]

Bloody right I'm success hungry. I don't know what age you are Badfish but I've got 45+ years under the belt supporting BHA and boy have I seen some lean times. I want it all and now! I'm not getting any younger and I want a dose of the big-time again. We had the opportunity and blew it and I was as angry as f..k.
Yes, I'm also fickle and yes I want to see us up there again. I am, however realistic enough to know that a new manager may need a bit of time. So, if we are not in the top two by October, I will want him gone. Simple!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I would tend to agree with the OP but I think the key is in who becomes manager. Someone with good contacts will easily be able to replace those that leave with better loan signings which will make the squad stronger with very little outlay. So the answer about how we will fare next season will be known as soon as we are told who will be at the helm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here