Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those worrying/moaning about Player transfers without a manager......

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Why? What's the problem?

Do you honestly believe players will not sign for us at the moment?

Do you honestly think the whole club and transfers/contracts side of things is at a complete standstill because Poyet is suspended?

Do you honestly think the club have said to Matt Upson, Wayne Bridge et all, sorry we can't talk at the moment, Gus is suspended.

I seem to recall Poyet promising us a striker on loan back in March. I also seem to recall he never fulfilled that promise. So what make you think having/not having a manager in early June is going to make that much difference.

Also bear in mind, players are contracted until 30th June. I don't think the transfer window officially opens until 1st July.

Players know, that outside the Premiership, this is THE club to play for. In all honestly, if I was a player or manager, I would only see Leicester as a more/has as an attractive club than us at the moment.

Whoever we get as manager will continue a similar passing style. The club has been built around that.

And whoever is the new manager will be a top notch manager, because the club is in a position to attact a top class manager now. I would be amazed if a number of lower Premiership managers are not coveting it.

Calm down. Take deep breaths.

For as long as Tony Bloom is in charge, I for one am as happy as a pig in shit.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I would rather we knew who was going to be in charge next year - whether Gus or A.N.Other - but given where we are at the moment and realising things have to be done properly, I agree that not everything will come to a grinding halt and that Tony Bloom is far from a fool!!! - to say the least.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Why? What's the problem?

Do you honestly believe players will not sign for us at the moment? Some will, those that are panicking about job security. The more coveted ones may want to know who will be their immediate boss.
Do you honestly think the whole club and transfers/contracts side of things is at a complete standstill because Poyet is suspended? see above
Do you honestly think the club have said to Matt Upson, Wayne Bridge et all, sorry we can't talk at the moment, Gus is suspended. see above
I seem to recall Poyet promising us a striker on loan back in March. I also seem to recall he never fulfilled that promise. He probably tried very hard in fairness to him. So what make you think having/not having a manager in early June is going to make that much difference.

Also bear in mind, players are contracted until 30th June. I don't think the transfer window officially opens until 1st July. ok

Players know, that outside the Premiership, this is THE club to play for. In all honestly, I would only see Leicester as a more/has as an attractive club at the moment if I was a player or manager. Wigan, Reading even Leeds might be at worst comparable.
Whoever we get as manager will continue a similar passing style. The club has been built around that. The passing style will be Gus' legacy, not 'the clubs'. A new manager may have other ideas in how to get us to the Premiership and it is by no means guaranteed that continuing our current passing game will be one of them.
And whoever is the new manager will be a top notch manager, because the club is in a position to attact a top class manager now. I would be amazed if a number of lower Premiership managers are not coveting it. Agree

So am I.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is not about trust in Tony Bloom or panic. This is about being adequately prepared with a management team identifying their targets.

A lot what you say is correct, however:

Targets will inevitably change depending on who is manager - if you think otherwise I think you are being slightly naive. Gus targets would differ from Pulis I would suggest, as they would with Di Matteo or Solskjaer etc....

Players do sign pre-contract agreements (Swansea have just done a deal with a Betis player).

I agree with everything else, particularly about us being one of the most attractive clubs outside the premiership. :thumbsup:

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
with a bit more 'urgency' and a 'Plan B' ?

Gus actually does have a plan B, the only problem is that it's exactly the same as plan A:smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus actually does have a plan B, the only problem is that it's exactly the same as plan A:smile:

Gus's plan B is to react to the other teams change of tactics after it has happened rather than him changing the tactics first. It's not a great plan B imo but his plan A works a lot of the time

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A player from the lower echelons would be falling over himself to sign for this club, that goes without saying.

But the calibre of player we are (hopefully) looking to bring in will in all likelihood have options and offers on the table from elsewhere. Why would he commit himself to BHAFC without knowing who it is he is going to be working with and playing for ? After the money, the manager is the biggest selling point to a player.

Would we have got the likes of Kuszczak, Upson, Ulloa and Bridge here without actually having a manager in place, without them knowing who it is they'd be playing for ?

Thats a NO from me.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
This is not about trust in Tony Bloom or panic. This is about being adequately prepared with a management team identifying their targets.

A lot what you say is correct, however:

Targets will inevitably change depending on who is manager - if you think otherwise I think you are being slightly naive. Gus targets would differ from Pulis I would suggest, as they would with Di Matteo or Solskjaer etc....

Players do sign pre-contract agreements (Swansea have just done a deal with a Betis player).

I agree with everything else, particularly about us being one of the most attractive clubs outside the premiership. :thumbsup:
No Doubt targets will change. But I don't see us going from a footballing side, to a hoof it and run style. Bloom/Poyet would have identifed two lists of players who they wanted for next season, one for Championship. one for Premiership (and no doubt some names appeared on both) and I am 100% sure we are in negotiations with players. But I think these days managers are more presented with a list of suitable players, and make recommendations from that list, and the club then attempts to sign them. If they were to sign the likes of Bridge and Upson and a new manager came in and didn't want them, I'd doubt that manager would be picked anyway. Whoever comes in will work with the squad of players that is in place.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
After the money, the manager is the biggest selling point to a player.

Would we have got the likes of Kuszczak, Upson, Ulloa and Bridge here without actually having a manager in place, without them knowing who it is they'd be playing for ?

Thats a NO from me.
I disagree. After the money, I would say the club is the next thing a player looks at. How many players sign for a club and then leave that club under the same manager? Not many nowadays. No doubt some players follow managers around, but its not that common.

I'm not doubting a manager is important, but I think people have given too much credit to Poyet over the class of player he has attracted. I think they are attracted by what the club offers them, far more than the manager. And the manager is just part of the club.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The key issue is currently having a manager under suspension, this for me is a destabilising factor, when this issue is resolved whatever the outcome we will become a much more attractive proposition. We do have time on our side but not much as the focus needs to be shifted on to the playing side to get ourselves prepared for pre-season it is unimaginable to think this wouldn't be settled at least a week before the start of it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No Doubt targets will change. But I don't see us going from a footballing side, to a hoof it and run style. Bloom/Poyet would have identifed two lists of players who they wanted for next season, one for Championship. one for Premiership (and no doubt some names appeared on both) and I am 100% sure we are in negotiations with players. But I think these days managers are more presented with a list of suitable players, and make recommendations from that list, and the club then attempts to sign them. If they were to sign the likes of Bridge and Upson and a new manager came in and didn't want them, I'd doubt that manager would be picked anyway. Whoever comes in will work with the squad of players that is in place.

A fair argument but I don't agree. Managers want their own people in, look at Holloway at Palace immediately moved for Phillips and Dobbie. I agree we won't go for hoof ball, but Zola and RDM would prefer Italian players over Spanish I'm sure.

We'll see in time.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Preparation can make the difference of say 4 points? over a season like.It's not exclusively about additions to a squad..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Craig Mackail Smith turned down leicester and West Ham because of Gus. Anyone who thinks top players are going to sign for a club without knowing who is in charge and consequently what style of football is being played, how much he is likely to feature, if he is going to get on with the manager and his training style, etc. is being naive.

The transfer window not being open is a reason to not panic yet. But players do like to know who they are playing for before signing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Craig Mackail Smith turned down leicester and West Ham because of Gus. Anyone who thinks top players are going to sign for a club without knowing who is in charge and consequently what style of football is being played, how much he is likely to feature, if he is going to get on with the manager and his training style, etc. is being naive.

The transfer window not being open is a reason to not panic yet. But players do like to know who they are playing for before signing.

Very true,it can also make players stall on new deals

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Players are hardly going to sign for a club when they dont know who will be appointed as manager and the type of play,likewise possible managers will want to bring in their players,if new signings have been introduced it will restrict further additions.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Why? What's the problem?

Do you honestly believe players will not sign for us at the moment?

Do you honestly think the whole club and transfers/contracts side of things is at a complete standstill because Poyet is suspended?

Do you honestly think the club have said to Matt Upson, Wayne Bridge et all, sorry we can't talk at the moment, Gus is suspended.

I seem to recall Poyet promising us a striker on loan back in March. I also seem to recall he never fulfilled that promise. So what make you think having/not having a manager in early June is going to make that much difference.

Also bear in mind, players are contracted until 30th June. I don't think the transfer window officially opens until 1st July.

Players know, that outside the Premiership, this is THE club to play for. In all honestly, if I was a player or manager, I would only see Leicester as a more/has as an attractive club than us at the moment.

Whoever we get as manager will continue a similar passing style. The club has been built around that.

And whoever is the new manager will be a top notch manager, because the club is in a position to attact a top class manager now. I would be amazed if a number of lower Premiership managers are not coveting it.

Would love to agree with all this as sounds so upbeat. However the reality is why would players sign for a club when they don't know who they are being led by. If you are a free agent you aren't going to take the risk.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What is David Burke doing to justify his salary?

Players by their very nature demand assurances, whether its regular team selection, contract extensions or a ringing endorsement from their manager.

No other member of staff other than the manager can genuine deliver this, you may argue that David Burke can offer lengthy and enhanced contracts without a manager, but maybe a new manager wants to bring in 'better players' than that or may view that player differently.

It will be fine, but it aint ideal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here