Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HMRC e-mail alert

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just in case anyone else receives an e-mail from Her Majesty's Revenue and Custom, please be aware before opening any attatchment.
I received one yesterday, straight into my junk folder. I read it and was suspicious so didnt open the attatchment.
It was addressed to the applicant and informed me that I was due a refund on overpaid tax of 244.79 GBP.
It was sent at 00-40 hours, and was supposedly from a Tax Credit Officer, Clare Brennan. Local office No. 3819, and based in Preston.
The time it was sent, the poor layout of the typing and the fact it didnt address me by my name, led me to e-mail my accountant, who
advised me to delete it, he knew of no rebate due to me.
It may seem obvious to most people, but some may just be curious enough to open the attatchment with the promise of a rebate.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just in case anyone else receives an e-mail from Her Majesty's Revenue and Custom, please be aware before opening any attatchment.
I received one yesterday, straight into my junk folder. I read it and was suspicious so didnt open the attatchment.
It was addressed to the applicant and informed me that I was due a refund on overpaid tax of 244.79 GBP.
It was sent at 00-40 hours, and was supposedly from a Tax Credit Officer, Clare Brennan. Local office No. 3819, and based in Preston.
The time it was sent, the poor layout of the typing and the fact it didnt address me by my name, led me to e-mail my accountant, who
It may seem obvious to most people, but some may just be curious enough to open the attatchment with the promise of a rebate.

I wouldn't worry about the time it was sent, in automated systems, it could be any time, but not being properly addressed would definitely raise an alarm

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The first search on HMRC on Google brings up a convincing bogus website, and I was happily filling in the tax rebate form and almost clicked 'send' before realising that something wasn't right. It's best to have all the bonafide sites saved in your Favourites rather than searching for them each time. I always get suspicious of PayPal whenever I search for it through Google, although it always throws up the genuine site.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Just ask yourself one question, how did HMRC get my personal email address?

Usually enough to work out it is bogus.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just ask yourself one question, how did HMRC get my personal email address?

Usually enough to work out it is bogus.

My accountant lives in Dartford.
My accounts are sent to him by e-mail.
He submits my tax returns on-line.
I assume my e-mail address is on file somewhere at HMRC

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Often these bogus email contact Americanisms that the UK HMRC would never use - the usual giveaway is the word "fiscal".

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Has anyone been getting bogus Manchester calls? Same number but they claim to be several companies and want to confirm my bank details...it's quite worrying how they have my details as I NEVER give out my details to companies that give them to third parties... ???

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013

There's an email address on the HMRC website you can forward them to, they then get into contact with the email provider and shut the address down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here