[Official Site] Bridcutt Explains Difficult Decision

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
bridcutt-news229-475464_478x359.jpg

PUBLISHED
06:46 6th June 2013
by Will Jago
Albion midfielder Liam Bridcutt has explained the difficult decision to pull out of the Scotland squad that take on Croatia in Zagreb on Friday night, owing to injury.
The 24-year-old admitted that he has been struggling with a groin problem throughout the closing month of the Championship season, which required extra rest to make sure that he is fit for pre-season, ahead of Albion’s 2013/14 campaign.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “Everyone who knows me knows that I always want to play, even if I’m injured or ill, so it was a really hard decision to pull out. But if I did play this game it would set me back another couple of weeks and then I would be at risk of missing the beginning of pre-season as well, which is a priority.
“I spoke to Gordon [Strachan] and he knew I was disappointed, and he was also disappointed that I couldn’t make it. It’s just one of those things. If I don’t rest and let it recover I could be at risk of not being fully fit for next season and I can’t risk that.
“I’m on holiday in Cyprus at the moment but this is the only break I will get. I’ve been in for treatment every other day since the season finished then when I get back I will be in every day for treatment to make sure that everything is right.
Bridcutt insisted that it’s not a serious injury but problem that needs time to recover. “It’s not a massive problem but it needs time to settle. The doctor said that it will be five to six weeks rest and then it will be fine.
“I had a problem with a stress fracture to my pubis a few years ago and that might have affected it. Now is the right time to get it sorted if I want to get through the whole season playing every game.
“I was carrying a few injuries throughout last season and for the last month I was playing with injections which is not ideal for a player my age. But it was a crucial time for us and I wanted to play every game.
“It’s one of those things and now it’s just rest, do my programme and come back 100 per cent ready.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here